UE4-Powered Fortnite: PC in 2013

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Some people just want something to show for the hours they used up on the game.

Though I do find games perfectly enjoyable without the achievements. They're just there as extra meta-game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Fun times. We won't buy it if it uses Steam integration, you won't buy it if it doesn't.
I might still get it, but I won't play it much. Lots of developers recently have said that they make far more money by selling exclusively on Steam than they lose. Alternatively, let's have Epic make two versiona of the game, one with all the Steamworks features and one with no DRM using Gamespy for the multiplayer integration. We'll see which one is more popular. :)
Why are achievements important,really? Surely you can perfectly enjoy a game without the need for any "achievements"?
Because they add another layer of fun things you can do, for the most part. You don't NEED achievements, per se. But it is always nice to have them.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Alternatively, let's have Epic make two versiona of the game, one with all the Steamworks features and one with no DRM using Gamespy for the multiplayer integration. We'll see which one is more popular. :)

How about a single version of the game which integrates with Steam only if you have that installed? And why would they use GameSpy to begin with... UT2004 and previous didn't use that kind of middleware.

That said, Steam integration would be a good thing once Valve releases Steam for Linux, as perhaps that way Epic will consider a Linux version of the game, too.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
How about a single version of the game which integrates with Steam only if you have that installed? And why would they use GameSpy to begin with... UT2004 and previous didn't use that kind of middleware.
The point is they will never do it because it would break the community up into smaller pieces and that would be bad for the game. Also, they wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the platform and, frankly, that is an overall bad thing.

Also, with UT2004 and previous, the only thing Epic ever provided was a master server and a few dedicated servers to play on. Their stats collection was really awful and didn't work half the time and required you to play on servers with stats tracking enabled by the server admin. And their master servers don't support 1/4th of what Steam does. Also consider that the master servers were controlled by none other than Gamespy.

So to get somewhat feature parity, they would basically have to develop their whole system from the ground up again. So, consider, after all the suggestions they received for UT3 community features, why they ended up using the horrible Gamespy middleware.

Yeah, they aren't going to build their own solution.

So the question becomes, what would you rather? Gamespy? GFWL? Steam? Or no multiplayer? In addition there is zero chance of getting zero DRM, so what would you rather? SecuROM? GFWL? Steam?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Tribes: Ascend has both a standalone client and Steam integration. It's not like the two have to be completely mutually exclusive; at the end of the day all that's happening is you're being redirected to a server.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Who cares about if it uses GFWL or Steamworks...

Will it be fun to play? I really like the concept behind it, but it seems like it will get really stale once people figure out the best "builds" to keep monsters from destroying their forts. Epic is going to have to make some pretty dynamic enemy types and randomization for this to have any real replay value.

Its kind of how Left 4 Dead is boring once you figure out the best way to run through a level.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Tribes: Ascend has both a standalone client and Steam integration. It's not like the two have to be completely mutually exclusive; at the end of the day all that's happening is you're being redirected to a server.
But Tribes still uses a third party authentication system and client and really offers none of the benefits of Steamworks integration. It's just available on Steam.

And you and I both know that Epic is never going to build a multiplayer middleware that is worth beans.

And Fullbleed, GFWL is god awful, especially for multiplayer games.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Yeah, I think this is confirmation that Epic doesn't want to touch Unreal for a very long time for fear of messing it up again. Business wise, this is a very smart decision to me. I notice how they seem to be avoiding the pitfalls that UT3 fell into. Some examples being that UT3 had high system requirements for its time and the general gritty dark feeling in it that most people didn't like for one reason or another, not to mention the massive consolitis it was suffering from. All of these, major reasons why UT3 didn't take off and thankfully avoided with Fortnite.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
This game is going to be boring as shit guys who cares if it uses GFWL.

Its taking two boring games "Left 4 Dead" and Minecraft, and smashing them together. I'm surprised Cliffy B is involved in the project at all because I don't get a "Nattie Ice" or "college date rape" vibe from this game at all like I do Gears.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
This game is going to be boring as shit guys who cares if it uses GFWL.

Its taking two boring games "Left 4 Dead" and Minecraft, and smashing them together. I'm surprised Cliffy B is involved in the project at all because I don't get a "Nattie Ice" or "college date rape" vibe from this game at all like I do Gears.

your opinion is valid because you bash two very popular games at once. the internet is proud of you.