Epic Working On PC-Exclusive Title

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I wouldn't be very surprised if it's Fortnite.

eRMM ..I heard the another day that fortnite is another game in project and its been annnounced, but this time is like another (un) announced game and for pc? Time will tell

Gears of war for kinect was cancelled so Im scratchin my head what would be...Epic if this were an contest about what name is for that secret game it will be any dollars on the way?

Never minz Im dreamin nao

MeanyMortal

They call me Berjj
Oct 2, 2004
Sweden
High Quality is the key words here. When has Epic ever shit anything out for the PC community that has been high quality since UT2k3/2k4? If you say UT3 then you need to wake the fuck up and get off the bandwagon.

There is a reason why people are being cautious about this.

I don't disagree with you, but I guess I expressed myself a bit wrong. I understand why people dislike a single game targeting both PC and console due to being "dumbed down" or poorly ported from console to PC, I'm with you there (Yes, UT3 does come to mind). What I don't understand is when people start complaining about a PC game being ported to console. If you don't play the console version and still got a game that was mainly targeted towards the PC audience then why would you deny the console users that game? As long as they actually focus on getting the PC version right then why should any of us care if they release a console port later down the line?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Announcing PC exclusive doesn't say much. As long as it's not some casual game with gimmick gameplay, it could be interesting. Until then, I won't hold my breath.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
The can't win, can they? :lol:

They make console games and people are bitching about them only making console exclusives. They announce a PC exclusive title and people bitch about it - even though they haven't even shown anything, yet...

The PC can't win, either. Epic ignored that their PC games were successful, but when a lousy port doesn't do well, they blamed piracy.

I'll be interested as long as it isn't another Unreal/UT game. The series has been butchered enough by now.

Last edited:

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
The PC can't win, either. Epic ignored that their PC games were successful, but when a lousy port doesn't do well, they blamed piracy.

I'll be interested as long as it isn't another Unreal/UT game. The series has been butchered enough by now.

UT2K4 was quite good. UT3 was just something not really finished.
My point is, they should make another Unreal, a true sequel of Unreal 1. This time don't outsource it like U2 and redeem the series.
But I highly doubt they have enough motivation to do that. And They must have realized PC gamers tend to complain too much:lol:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I wouldn't be very surprised if it's Fortnite.

There's some indications suggesting Fortnite isn't PC exclusive, and I swear they suggested at the reveal that would be on iOS as well.

Anyways... I'm cautiously optimistic about this. The time is ripe for a UT return. Tried the Nexuiz beta at PAX East this weekend and those guys are clearly going for the Quake 3 / UT crowd something fierce for a $10 game. Then you have Tribes: Ascend which had a massive presence at the show. It's like the 90's are coming back or something. Aside from GRAW2, there was a lack of "realistic" shooters at the Con this year, and it looks like the pendulum is swinging back toward space marines and arena shooters. The market is ripening...

I've outlined in the past what I'd love to see for a new UT game: sub $20 price tag, TF2 level of post-game support/content, Unreal Editor support, and I wouldn't have an issue with a cash shop for cosmetic BS if they needed some supplemental income. Steam would be a massive bonus due to its great community features. Plus, with Steam Workshop going out of beta, that'd be a great way to support mods for the game and would solve a number of headaches for the community.

If this isn't UT4 it's not a huge deal to me. I would love to see another Unreal/Tournament game at some point, but I think it's a matter of when, not if, and the time needs to be right for it to happen. I think we're close to that time, but that's really up to Epic to decide.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
And They must have realized PC gamers tend to complain too much:lol:

PC gamers only complain when the game they're playing is really buggy. ;)

Epic's problem is that they seem to think they can put a minimum amount of effort into a PC release and everyone will overlook that it's riddled with bugs. Look at how buggy GoW PC and UT3 were on release - with UT3, you can't even save your settings unless you have a patch installed. GoW PC didn't get much support and it still has tons of bugs.

As for Epic actually making a PC-exclusive game - I'll believe it when I see it.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Unreal Tournament 4 would be great! :D After Epic showing off Unreal Engine 4 a new Unreal game could be possible. Otherwise the Samaritan demo from GDC last year coulld become a real game...

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I've outlined in the past what I'd love to see for a new UT game: sub $20 price tag, TF2 level of post-game support/content, Unreal Editor support, and I wouldn't have an issue with a cash shop for cosmetic BS if they needed some supplemental income. Steam would be a massive bonus due to its great community features. Plus, with Steam Workshop going out of beta, that'd be a great way to support mods for the game and would solve a number of headaches for the community.

Absolutely. Get creative and make it happen.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Another casualty of GFWL... I got a real kick out of this:
We made a PC version of Bulletstorm, and it didn't do very well on PC and I think a lot of that was due to piracy. It wasn't the best PC port ever, sure, but also piracy was a pretty big problem.
Epic. Please add this to your business plan.

"Pretend like piracy doesn't exist."

Honestly, it will make your life better. Bulletstorm was a dang fun game, even on PC. Nobody wanted to buy it because everyone hates GFWL. Honestly. I'm not joking even a little bit. There are so few games that can get away with using GFWL, one of the only successful ones on PC is Batman. Yes, a game about one of the most popular comic book characters of all time managed to not utterly fail because of GFWL. Bulletstorm didn't match the profile.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Copy/paste off a post i made on UnrealSP:

Unfortunately for the Unreal games Epic saw them largely as a dumping ground for their latest technical gizmos and didn't care much about making actual games. id Software is guilty of the same thing. Take for example the very loose connections between the two "Unreal" games. If they called Unreal II something else and made a few tweaks (i.e. removing the Skaarj cameos) a lot of people wouldn't probably realise it was even meant to be an Unreal game. That's how loose the series is.

I personally think that the chances of another Unreal/UT game being produced are very low at this point. Outside of hardcore gaming circles it's not particularly well know or successful. Almost every title in the 2000s reception was either mixed at best or a dissapointment, with UT2004 being the only one to really buck the trend.

The final nail in the coffin was probably when Gears of War 1 was released and turned out to be a huge success, far more than they had ever been able to achieve with any Unreal Tournament game. This probably led to a radical retool of UT3 while it was still in development, with a "war" story being dropped in and a general grimy/gritty atmosphere as Gears of War had it and people seemed to liked that, so they thought if UT3 had the same feel it would be popular too.

Funny that when Epic signed their deal with Midway originally they were contracted to produce three Unreal titles, with Unreal Championship being the first and Unreal Tournament 3 being the second. If they hadn't declared bankruptcy maybe Epic would've put out a third game. Of course (and I bet it was to Epic's delight) that didn't happen.

Epic seems more content with producing other games these days. If Epic really wants to make something like Unreal again they should just start over with a clean slate and forget the Unreal series ever happened. The Unreal series imo ended up being a bland mess of shooters that had little in common with one another and as a result I don't see another reason why they sould produce yet another bland soulless game to add to the pile.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
Copy/paste off a post i made on UnrealSP:

Unfortunately for the Unreal games Epic saw them largely as a dumping ground for their latest technical gizmos and didn't care much about making actual games. id Software is guilty of the same thing. Take for example the very loose connections between the two "Unreal" games. If they called Unreal II something else and made a few tweaks (i.e. removing the Skaarj cameos) a lot of people wouldn't probably realise it was even meant to be an Unreal game. That's how loose the series is.

I personally think that the chances of another Unreal/UT game being produced are very low at this point. Outside of hardcore gaming circles it's not particularly well know or successful. Almost every title in the 2000s reception was either mixed at best or a dissapointment, with UT2004 being the only one to really buck the trend.

The final nail in the coffin was probably when Gears of War 1 was released and turned out to be a huge success, far more than they had ever been able to achieve with any Unreal Tournament game. This probably led to a radical retool of UT3 while it was still in development, with a "war" story being dropped in and a general grimy/gritty atmosphere as Gears of War had it and people seemed to liked that, so they thought if UT3 had the same feel it would be popular too.

Funny that when Epic signed their deal with Midway originally they were contracted to produce three Unreal titles, with Unreal Championship being the first and Unreal Tournament 3 being the second. If they hadn't declared bankruptcy maybe Epic would've put out a third game. Of course (and I bet it was to Epic's delight) that didn't happen.

Epic seems more content with producing other games these days. If Epic really wants to make something like Unreal again they should just start over with a clean slate and forget the Unreal series ever happened. The Unreal series imo ended up being a bland mess of shooters that had little in common with one another and as a result I don't see another reason why they sould produce yet another bland soulless game to add to the pile.

Unreal 1 was a milestone... The amount of content the game included and the variety of environments...It is hard to argue that Epic should start from scratch.
I suspect that many people here would rather Epic throw Unreal 2 under the rug, akin to what was done with UT2k3

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
I understand the desire to focus the AAA development on Gears, but they are wasting a AAA IP by shelving the Unreal series. Its time for a true Unreal 2.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Another casualty of GFWL... I got a real kick out of this:

Epic. Please add this to your business plan.

"Pretend like piracy doesn't exist."

Honestly, it will make your life better. Bulletstorm was a dang fun game, even on PC. Nobody wanted to buy it because everyone hates GFWL. Honestly. I'm not joking even a little bit. There are so few games that can get away with using GFWL, one of the only successful ones on PC is Batman. Yes, a game about one of the most popular comic book characters of all time managed to not utterly fail because of GFWL. Bulletstorm didn't match the profile.

Really? Everybody I know who didn't buy it, didn't buy it because it had no decent multi-player, this includes myself. The people demand DM, CTF, etc. etc. not just co-op. Additionally I know several people who pirate all their games and they didn't even bother to pirate this game for just that reason.

I think almost as many people would have refused to buy it if it was a steam based title as do for GFWL That is at least if the number of people who refused to buy DNF for just that reason are any clue.

Also many other gamers I know never heard of it so there may have been some promotional failings.

Edit: still says piracy was a non-factor I guess so I agree with the point if not the details.

Last edited: