Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
I put this again on this S3TC subject.

I suggest this again to you if you are always interested in finding a good free hosting solution for the files that is not using torrent concept (as usualy after 3/4 month a private torrent is made working you don't find any seeds).

Out of UT, i am a part of an Operation Flashpoint mod team, and recently we released a lot of additional content for the community of this game.
As we had no possibility to host ourself these free additions to the game and survive the bandwidth attack ;) , we used the filefront free service.

since that we have been able to find more mirrors for our works in the case filefront decided it was too much, but for a free service filefront is incredible : our works has been downloaded from Filefront enough time to "eat" 68.44 GB of filefront bandwidth as you can see there .
And the files are always present and downloadable from their servers.

So you should strongly consider to use filefront to host your files, just broke the download in several part and it should be ok.

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
FieldMedic said:
I put this again on this S3TC subject.

I suggest this again to you if you are always interested in finding a good free hosting solution for the files that is not using torrent concept (as usualy after 3/4 month a private torrent is made working you don't find any seeds).

Out of UT, i am a part of an Operation Flashpoint mod team, and recently we released a lot of additional content for the community of this game.
As we had no possibility to host ourself these free additions to the game and survive the bandwidth attack ;) , we used the filefront free service.

since that we have been able to find more mirrors for our works in the case filefront decided it was too much, but for a free service filefront is incredible : our works has been downloaded from Filefront enough time to "eat" 68.44 GB of filefront bandwidth as you can see there .
And the files are always present and downloadable from their servers.

So you should strongly consider to use filefront to host your files, just broke the download in several part and it should be ok.

I thought that it was decided that since none of us own the textures we can't upload them to there. If you think that it is okay, please upload it yourself since my connection is slow and has become unstable lately.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I wrote up a setting guide in the Torrent File. I'll post it here for convenience.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
TruFormMinVertices=0 <- ATI TruForm cards only. Disabled in Renderer.
TruFormTessellation=3 <- ATI TruForm cards only. Disabled in Renderer.
UseTruForm=False <- ATI TruForm cards only. Disabled in Renderer.
ZRangeHack=True <- Apparently something to do with Z Buffers. If it causes problems, try setting it to False to fix.
AAFilterHint=2 <- Set this to 0 unless you have a nvidia card (Quincunx AA)
NumAASamples=0 <- Antialiasing. Usually a Power of 2 - 2, 4, 8, etc. Using Numbers your card can't do is a bad idea.
UseAA=True <-- Toggles Antialiasing. True means it's on, False means it's off.
RequestHighResolutionZ=False <- Set this to true if you're in 16 bit color, False if you're in 32 Bit Color
MaskedTextureHack=False <- Should be False.
FrameRateLimit=0 <- If the game is Too Fast when you're moving towards walls, Change this to another value. 200 will work.
SwapInterval=0 <- Set to 0 for no vsync, 1 to enable it. -1 for Autodetect.
UseVertexProgram=False <- Keep this False.
UseCVA=False <- Set this to true if your card is VERY old, without Hardware T&L. Keep False if your card has Hardware T&L.
UseMultiDrawArrays=True <- Enables the use of the GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays extension.
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False <-Set to True for Older (GeForce 1-4) NVIDIA cards, otherwise, keep False.
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100 <-- Keep at 100.
CacheStaticMaps=False <- Unknown. Keep False.
UseTexPool=True <- Keep True.
UseTexIdPool=True <- Keep True.
UseSSE=True <- Nearly all CPUs, and all since 1999 or so, will have SSE. Keep True unless your system is Ancient.
BufferTileQuads=True <- Enables buffering in the DrawTile path. May improve text rendering performance.
BufferClippedActorTris=False <- Shouldn't be worth turning to True, but if you got odd clipping issues, try it.
SinglePassDetail=False <- Attempts to Render textures in one pass. Won't work if DetailMax is higher than 1.
SinglePassFog=True <- Enables High-Quality Fog. Needs GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 extension or GL_NV_texture_env_combine4.
ColorizeDetailTextures=False <- Keep False.
DetailClipping=False <- Should be fine False, but it might speed things up on fillrate-crippled machines.
UseDetailAlpha=True <- Must be True for Detail Textures to work.
DetailMax=2 <- 0 for none, 1 for One Layer of Detail, 2 for Two Layers. Any more isn't noticeable and will slow the game.
RefreshRate=0 <-Set to highest refresh rate your monitor supports (ex: 85) Default if set to 0.
MaxTMUnits=0 <- Debug Option. Keep at 0.
NoFiltering=False <- Debug Option. Keep False.
NoMaskedS3TC=False <- Keep False unless you want to see how a S3TC texture looks on older hardware.
MaxAnisotropy=0 <-Set to Anistropy Level. 0 to Disable, 2, 4, 8, 16 to use higher levels of AF.
UseTNT=False <- True if you have a old TNT or TNT2 Card.
Use16BitTextures=False <- Less Colorful, but Smaller Textures. Keep False in most cases.
UseS3TC=True <- Set to true if you use the S3TC textures.
UseAlphaPalette=True <- Keep True unless you have old, Buggy GeForce Drivers.
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False <- Generate Mipmaps for textures lacking them, but might slow things down. Keep False.
UseTrilinear=True <- Enable Trilinear Filtering. False to Disable.
UsePrecache=True <- Precache Textures. True will reduce stutters in-game, but increase load times.
AlwaysMipmap=False <- Disabled in Game Code, Keep False.
ShareLists=False <- Unknown, keep False.
UsePalette=True <- Enables Paletted Txtures if your card can do them. Set to False if you get problems.
UseMultiTexture=True <- Keep True for Renderer to work properly.
UseBGRATextures=True <- Enables slightly faster uploads if your card can upload in BGRA Format.
UseZTrick=False <- True may solve problems like the Redeemer clipping the Status Bar and the like.
MaxLogTextureSize=8 <- Leave as-is.
MinLogTextureSize=0 <- Leave as-is.
MaxLogVOverU=8 <- Leave as-is.
MaxLogUOverV=8 <- Leave as-is.
OneXBlending=False <- Emulates Direct3D Lighting Mode if True. Most people will keep this False.
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True <- Screenshots might be too dark if False, but if they're too bright, set it to False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000 <- Leave as-is.
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000 <- Leave as-is.
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000 <- Leave as-is.
GammaOffset=0.000000 <- Leave as-is.
LODBias=0.000000 <- Negative values to sharpen textures. (ex: -1.5) Looks bad with S3TC on, keep at 0 if you're using them.
DetailTextures=True <- Enables Detail Textures, like Fine Grain on Wood. Keep True for more realism.
DescFlags=0 <- Leave at 0.
Description=NVIDIA GeForce FX 7800 <- Put your graphics card's name here if you want to
HighDetailActors=True <- Should always be True
Coronas=True <- True to turn them on, False to turn them off
ShinySurfaces=True <- True for reflective Surfaces (Like the Mirror in DM-Oblivion), False for no Reflections.
VolumetricLighting=True <- True for more realistic lighting.

I'll post the Torrent File itself here. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS JUST THE TORRENT FILE.

Attachments

• Unreal Tournament GOTY S3TC Textures.zip
    23.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
I was planning to do that with the settings (explain all of them and everything but I haven't had time. Do you think I can use some of what you wrote for the settings add them to the first post?

And thanks for the torrent! :) I'm going to add it now! The torrent will have to be posted in many public places for it to survive though.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
madscientist327 said:
I thought that it was decided that since none of us own the textures we can't upload them to there.
But if it is not "okay" to upload such textures to filefront , why is it "okay" to mention even a torrent or the possibility of it on BUF ?
So far, in my opinion, those textures are not "warez", as it was supposed to be a part of UT , it is only a bit unfair that because Epic decided to add mods (that could have been downloaded too otherwise) the GOTY owners has no hires textures for them, despite having paid the same price.

If you think that it is okay, please upload it yourself since my connection is slow and has become unstable lately.
As you wish, i think you were looking so much for a reliable place that it would potentially interest you.
My connection will certainly not allow me to upload a whole 600mo of hires textures sorry, my DSL connection is a basic one and it would take me a whole day connecting, that i can't do.

Good luck with making this torrent survive.

But, in the end, wouldn't it better if you try to contact Epic to clear the issue and make the hires texture available without any problem to everyone ?

After all those years, i think Epic (noticing all the free content they delivered to the UT community with all their bonus packs) would certainly be willing to make it "fair" for GOTY owners, who unlike me, UT buyer of the first batches of retail UT have been spoiled of the hires textures.
Maybe they would be willing to give as a gift the hires textures to be available to UT GOTY owners .
Epic is not the money hungry monsters some other dev/publishers are, they proved it already with all the free content they released for all their games.

Sometime just asking can get unsuspected good results.

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
The reason I thought that it was not okay to upload the textures to filefront was because it says on the site that we have to own the rights to the content. "You are solely responsible for all materials, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, that you upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available on our sites ("Your Content"). You certify that you own all intellectual property rights in Your Content. You hereby grant us, our affiliates, and our partners a worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free, nonexclusive, sub-licensable license to use, modify, copy, reproduce, create derivative works of, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, transfer, sell, transmit, distribute and publish Your Content and subsequent versions of Your Content for the purposes of (i) displaying Your Content on our sites, (ii) distributing Your Content, either electronically or via other media, to users seeking to download or otherwise acquire it, and/or (iii) storing Your Content in a remote database accessible by end users, for a charge. This license shall apply to the distribution and the storage of Your Content in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed. The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary rights in such communication, including but not limited to rights under copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant jurisdiction." I don't think it is "warez" or something to make a torrent to the textures but filefront is not an option because none of us "own all intellectual property rights" to the textures.

I think that asking Epic is worth a shot but I don't think that I'm old enough or respected enough in this UT community to ask. Maybe someone else can ask? It sure would make things a lot easier if the textures were made available to all users. So who's going to do it?

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
madscientist327 said:
I think that asking Epic is worth a shot but I don't think that I'm old enough or respected enough in this UT community to ask. Maybe someone else can ask? It sure would make things a lot easier if the textures were made available to all users. So who's going to do it?
For a request of that importance, it can't be just "average joe" , whatever old or young he can be, sending a mail to some random guy from Epic.

But if such mail was made by the community, it would express something more global than "average joe" opinion and hope for the hires textures.

So i guess to achieve such goal, posting where what is left from the UT community can read could be interesting.

Maybe even contacting the BUF head folks , that are certainly more respected than "average joe" by both Epic and the whole community to help the communication process could be even more interesting to get things started in a mature and intelligent way.

Despite i have the original hires textures from my original UT 2nd CD , i think it can be interesting both ways : for the UT community that has begin with UT late with the GOTY edition and for Epic reputation that can benefit of making such gesture even after all those years.

So, to begin with something, is there really an interest in such request to Epic from the people visiting this thread or not ?
As i will not even bother trying something or participating in any ways if mostly none or few people care here.

If too few care, i will not care myself anymore on this subject.

Last edited:

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
if someone dont have noticed it before , but i would suggest to replace the GenFX.utx package too . because the gradient textures looks weird with S3TC . for see , play a skaarj map with those green beams and you will see .

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Adding the torrent now. Will post back after testing.

Edit : Torrent seems to be active but there is no downloading obviously. Dark Pulse, I suggest you leave your torrent client open on a set day so this can be tested.

Edit : I left it on a few minutes and it started downloading @ 20 odd K. Enjoy ;) .

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Azura said:
Adding the torrent now. Will post back after testing.

Edit : Torrent seems to be active but there is no downloading obviously. Dark Pulse, I suggest you leave your torrent client open on a set day so this can be tested.

Edit : I left it on a few minutes and it started downloading @ 20 odd K. Enjoy ;) .
Yeah, I had that in mind. Seeing as I'm the only one with this particular config ATM, I have to. :p

If you're going to download this package, please help me seed - I try to keep my system running, but this thing simply goes down sometimes.

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
Derdak2rot said:
if someone dont have noticed it before , but i would suggest to replace the GenFX.utx package too . because the gradient textures looks weird with S3TC . for see , play a skaarj map with those green beams and you will see .

I can't find what's wrong. Could you name a few maps that have this problem? Also, could you take screenshots to compare? Thanks.

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
it happen when i choose them in a map im working on , see :

maybe its a problem with my opengl config , but i used the one in this thread so it must not appears , maybe im wrong . :confused:

Attachments

• beams-normal.JPG
    beams-normal.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 75
  • beams-S3TC.JPG
    beams-S3TC.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 69

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
it contains all the gradient textures like this one with different colors and motifs ( its a french word , lol ) and , more important , all the masked textures like green vines , spider webs , chains , ect ... used often in all maps of all kind , but i dont remember seing something wrong with them .