new dsl and ping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Miracle

is Chrome{SoLo}
Mar 16, 2001
Kentucky...hehe yep
Visit site
Hey...I just got fastaccess dsl from bellsouth using pppoe...did the fixes to get the mtu right to 1492...but my questions is...why is my ping still high (for dsl) around 80...and why does the F6 ping differ from that in F1 and which one should I trust...Would lowering my netspeed from 20k to 10k help...any help would be appreciated.

Phierce

Feb 11, 2001
WA, USA
80??? You think that's high?

I have DSL, and never get below 100.

*Edit* As for the tech questions, I have no idea. But SimplyCosmic knows all about the F1vsF6 ping.

SludgeX

Jul 9, 2001
Chicagoland, IL
Visit site
Phierce is right. An 80 ping is quite good overall. I have a 1.5mb down/384k up and I average about 90 on most servers. Despite what some people around here say, UT's netcode is not the best around. So just learn to play with an 80 ping. It's a hell of a lot better than a 350 ping.

Stat Net (F6) is a lot better to gauge your ping than F1. Stat Net will give you you're packet loss, packets received/sec., bunches received/sec. and your netspeed. F1 only gives your ping and it only updates every few seconds, while Stat Net updates constantly. Always use Stat Net (F6) to tweak your settings, not F1.

Maximumoverkill

May 23, 2001
Atlanta
Visit site
You want faster dsl, go to
http://www.dslreports.com/
go to the networking section, then to pppoe
download the RasPPPoe protocol by Shuablach, unless you have a linksys, or other hardware router, this protocol, will blow the lid off of the NTS enternet adn WinPOEt clients, i ping great. This protocol, will also enable you to reach your maximum bancwidth
I am working on some Step By Step instructions for installing it.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
The higher you can set your netspeed the better, if you're not getting any PL then don't lower it. I too have Bellsouth FastAccess and get simiar ping to you, usually closer to 100.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Originally posted by Maximumoverkill
You want faster dsl, go to
http://www.dslreports.com/
go to the networking section, then to pppoe
download the RasPPPoe protocol by Shuablach, unless you have a linksys, or other hardware router, this protocol, will blow the lid off of the NTS enternet adn WinPOEt clients, i ping great. This protocol, will also enable you to reach your maximum bancwidth
I am working on some Step By Step instructions for installing it.

I'll check it out, I already get my max DL speed, but I could use some better ping.

Maximumoverkill

May 23, 2001
Atlanta
Visit site
You will get at least a couple of more kb in down and up.
Also, you don't need to adjust the mtu as it does it automatically.
Think about this, NTSenternet 3+ meg, WinPOEt 3+ meg, Raspppoe protocol 100KB, now, the less memory that is used in your system, the more resources it has to use and there fore, the more resources it can devote to the tcp ip protocol. and the raspppoe being native since it install as a protocol, make its very easy for windows to connect and so forth.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
The problem is that while your connection has improved in terms of bandwidth to your ISP, the network between your ISP and the UT server hasn't changed.

One thing that most new broadband users don't understand is that pure ping numbers aren't likely to go down to quite as low as they think they will, but that your major performance gains will be in the overall reliability of the connection. That is, you'll get a much steadier low-end ping.

Now, as for the difference between F1 and F6 ping: The ping displayed with F1 is your actual honest-to-goodness ping. This is the time in seconds that it takes for a ping packet to travel to the server and back.

However, pure ping doesn't mean much in a regular game. There are other factors, such as the time it takes to process that packet, both by you and the host server, the slowdown due to rendering a frame, etc.

The F6 number you get is what epic calls "effective ping" and takes into account things like the server's current processing load, your computer's current processing load and graphics draw time, a little bit of averaging to get you a more "realistic" number.

For those of you in America, where this gets mentioned, think of the F1 ping as the current temperatue, and F6 as "windchill" which is how it feels to a person outside. F1 is true ping, F6 is "adjusted" to what it "feels like", and therefore will almost always be higher.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Originally posted by Miracle
My ping still high (for dsl) around 80

you're kidding right? you're not one of those guys who bitches when they have 150 ping are you? please god, I hope not. they're worse than aimbot users.

check www.dslreports.com for some tweakage, but 80 ping is good. depending on what server you're playing too you'll probably average between 50-150.

-I_AM{skullface}

SadaraK

Groving in UT since 1999
Jan 1, 2001
UK
After paying as much as some people do simply to get better pings I think they have a right to bitch if it doesnt improve. I am slightly surprised though as I use the ageing ISDN and get constant reliable pings of 100 (140-150 on F6) and thats only 64k both ways...

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Well, most people "bitch" because they don't understand networking enough to realise the difference between "latency" and "bandwidth".

Broadband connections will vastly improve your bandwidth (the amount of data that can be moved across your connection) but do not result in the same amount of improvement in latency (the amount of time for a packet to travel from source to destination).

Bandwidth affects how much information your client can send back and forth in any given amount of time to the game server. Latency affects your ping.

The majority of improvement in your online game experience will not manifest itself directly in a simply ping number, but in the steady game play with no packet loss or spikes, as well as increased smoothness and responsiveness.

As a new broadband user you should also know that ping suffers from the law of diminishing returns. As your ping decreases linearly, the amount of network capability to get that ping increases exponentially. So, it's easy to go from 1000 ping to 200. But much harder to go from 200 to 100. And 100 to 80 takes a very fast and stable connection. Just to give you something to compare against, when I have run a public UT server on one of my computers, I averaged a ping of 50 on a machine on the same network switch, not more than five feet away from the server.

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
What are your specs?

truffles.jpg

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Originally posted by SimplyCosmic
As a new broadband user you should also know that ping suffers from the law of diminishing returns. As your ping decreases linearly, the amount of network capability to get that ping increases exponentially

/me kicks SC
That's ENOUGH!