Having kids

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
It depends on what you care about.
There is room for more people, shoot we could start living under da sea.

The thing is, do you want all that open space to be ravaged so that you can raise another dumbling.

I'll probably adopt in a few years, because I'm not an idiot.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
It depends on what you care about.
There is room for more people, shoot we could start living under da sea.

The thing is, do you want all that open space to be ravaged so that you can raise another dumbling.

I'll probably adopt in a few years, because I'm not an idiot.

many people who want to adopt are turned away. my parents tried to adopt twice and were regected both times... I turned out alright :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why would you want to have a kid in this economy? Seriously a friend of mine is expecting a 3rd child in their family and I just have to say why? It has been pretty crappy the last 4 years and you want your kids to grow up in a potential era with crap jobs and a college education that means jack? Have some common sense. Yeah you may have a good job at the moment, but when things go tits up, you will wish you had that extra income saved up instead of blowing it on a kid.
Not that I really care what you're saying here, but people raised kids during the Great Depression, which was quite a bit harder than the one we're currently going through. I'm expecting #3 but it's not like the world is going to get better in the next ten years.

Igoy

dea ex machina
Jan 20, 2008
Norwich, England.
slave-riot.co.uk
Not that I really care what you're saying here, but people raised kids during the Great Depression, which was quite a bit harder than the one we're currently going through. I'm expecting #3 but it's not like the world is going to get better in the next ten years.

Yerp.

There's never a good time to have a kid. Just suck it up and do it.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
as long as they can fund them.
this about sums it up.
you can't really tell people not to have children unless your country already has a real problem with population. like China. they definitely need that 1-child-policy.

aside from such unusual circumstances, you can't rightfully tell people not to make babies... as long as they can fund them. this is the most important aspect by far. as long as you have the money and can provide each child with an equal amount of love and attention, then I guess you can have as many kids as you can fit on your property.

the thing about society though is that it has changed so much in the last few hundred years. there are many other ways of benefiting the world than just squeezing out kids. you can go through life without reproducing and still be a productive member of society. children are no longer the only way to contribute.

in conclusion:

• get laid all you want. avoid pregnancy.
  • if you want kids, only have as many as you can adequately support.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Placing a child in this world. The outlook is something along these lines:
Stay dumb because the shool system is broken.
Work like a slave in 2-3 jobs just to get by - if you can find one that is.
Experience to be on the losing side of a class war.
Governments pissing all over your rights a little bit more ever year.
Living through the great system breakdown with the resulting wars, civil wars, exploding crime rate and everything-goes-down-the-crapper that will occur once oil gets really expensive.

The list goes on and on, and I'm not even including SkyNet and related topics.

Placing a child in this world. Let me say it with a quote:
"I may be a bastard, but I'm not a ****ing bastard"

:p

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Placing a child in this world. The outlook is something along these lines:
Stay dumb because the shool system is broken.
Work like a slave in 2-3 jobs just to get by - if you can find one that is.
Experience to be on the losing side of a class war.
Governments pissing all over your rights a little bit more ever year.
Living through the great system breakdown with the resulting wars, civil wars, exploding crime rate and everything-goes-down-the-crapper that will occur once oil gets really expensive.

The list goes on and on, and I'm not even including SkyNet and related topics.

Man, I'm not even an optimist and yet I have to correct this like a mofo.

Yes, the school system is broken, but the masses are more educated now than they have ever been.
While it's unfortunately that some people have to work 2-3 jobs "just to get by," the majority of people are working 1 and doing awesome for themselves with their HDTVs and consoles and PCs and smartphones, etc. That some people are retards who buy $400,000 houses on 50k/yr salaries doesn't somehow shake this fact.
Wait, exploding crime rate? Civil Wars? But crime rates are going down and the civil wars that are happening around the world are largely peaceful upheavals of democratic reform. HOW HORRIBLE THIS WORLD!

Peeps need to calm down. There is a lot wrong with this world to be sure, a WHOLE lot even, but the end times are not nigh by any stretch of the imagination.

~Jason

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole

Yes, the school system is broken, but the masses are more educated now than they have ever been.
While it's unfortunately that some people have to work 2-3 jobs "just to get by," the majority of people are working 1 and doing awesome for themselves with their HDTVs and consoles and PCs and smartphones, etc. That some people are retards who buy $400,000 houses on 50k/yr salaries doesn't somehow shake this fact.
Wait, exploding crime rate? Civil Wars? But crime rates are going down and the civil wars that are happening around the world are largely peaceful upheavals of democratic reform. HOW HORRIBLE THIS WORLD!

Peeps need to calm down. There is a lot wrong with this world to be sure, a WHOLE lot even, but the end times are not nigh by any stretch of the imagination.

~Jason
The word outlook was placed in the post to point out it's a look into the future where current trends will get worse because there is no reason to think otherwise. The masses are just educated enough to be useful for work. Beyond that being dumb is preferred because it makes life easier for people with money/power. The amount of people who think intelligent design is on the same level as evolution and should be taught in science class is scary and the number of people who believe in other fairy tales like homeopathy are not exactly encouraging either. Mass media turned news (in the sense of "the knowledge of things that happen so that one can build an informed opinion about it") into a farce. The ratio of crap to investigative journalism suggests that we need Spider Jerusalem to save us in 15 years max. A dumb, badly informed populace is easily manipulated. The gap between rich and poor gets wider and wider. People who will get by with one job will not be the majority.

As for the crime rate etc, you kinda overlooked the great system breakdown that I mentioned there.

Also:
:p

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS

I recall those vids on youtube about a guy going around to randoms and having them point out a specific country, or give the name of our CURRENT vice president. They couldn't do it!

More educated on how to handle a remote control perhaps?

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I recall those vids on youtube about a guy going around to randoms and having them point out a specific country, or give the name of our CURRENT vice president. They couldn't do it!

More educated on how to handle a remote control perhaps?

Oh Jesus, the irony.

:lol:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The word outlook was placed in the post to point out it's a look into the future where current trends will get worse because there is no reason to think otherwise. The masses are just educated enough to be useful for work. Beyond that being dumb is preferred because it makes life easier for people with money/power. The amount of people who think intelligent design is on the same level as evolution and should be taught in science class is scary and the number of people who believe in other fairy tales like homeopathy are not exactly encouraging either. Mass media turned news (in the sense of "the knowledge of things that happen so that one can build an informed opinion about it") into a farce. The ratio of crap to investigative journalism suggests that we need Spider Jerusalem to save us in 15 years max. A dumb, badly informed populace is easily manipulated. The gap between rich and poor gets wider and wider. People who will get by with one job will not be the majority.

As for the crime rate etc, you kinda overlooked the great system breakdown that I mentioned there.

But there have ALWAYS been dumb people and they have ALWAYS been kept in the dark. The fact is, people have WAY more access to information than they have ever had before. And yes, while the number of people that don't believe in evolution is scary, MORE people believe in it than in any other point in history and more and more people are believing in it. Hell, even the Catholic church is on board.

As as for the Mass media "turning" the news into a farce, you seem to have little understanding of the fact that the news has ALWAYS been a farce, with CONSTANT lies, propaganda, even a fake war perpetuated to SELL NEWSPAPERS. People treat propaganda as this unique thing, but it's not, not by a longshot, and we are much better informed than previously. Finally, while the gap between the rich and the poor continues to rise, which is a worrying prospect, it has done so (and been higher) before, and then been rectified. Even with such gaps the poor are able to (as a rule) afford food and housing and care for themselves with luxuries as was never the case in the past, with far longer life expectancies and lower infant mortality rates.

So yeah, there are a lot of problems, but looking at any real span of history we can see that they are getting LESS of a problem and that things are getting BETTER for the most part.

~Jason