What direction do you want the next UT game to go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would you like to see in the next UT game?

• Total voters

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Maybe this is a stupid idea on my part, but what if Epic split the gametypes down the middle.

All the Arena style gameytypes without vehicles would be one style of play, with its own rules, game types and sp ladders. (These would be DM, DOM, TDM, CTF, BR , LMS etc) Every thing that is suited to intimate combat in small arenas with small amounts of players. That would be the "tournament"

On the other side would be all the gametypes that focus on large scale battles with huge amounts of players. This would be a bunch of gametypes that have different rules and balancing to the regular tournament. These would be more tactical and complicated gametypes with stuff like squads.. It would be something more along the lines of Conquest. This would be the "warfare" part of the game. It would have its own sp campaign based on actual war, not random CTF, DM matches.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
performance is the least of the game's problems, but that isn't to say it can't or shouldn't be improved.

It's one of the games few problems, but that is hard to see until you conquer it.

My proc is larger than yours, my vid is larger than yours, though I only have a gig of ram, and it is really my only gripe with the game.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
In other words, instead of the same type of game with better graphics (and shoddier gameplay) just do something different!

In short, I want a game like what Unreal Warfare was suppose to be like instead of #$&*ing UT2003.

Sorry, but if you don't like the Unreal Tournament series, can't you just play something else? There's plenty of games out there, if you want something different just go buy it.

I am happy with UT, I was happy with all of them to be honest (even with UT2003). For me seeing the new generation graphic in an UT game is more than enough to spend the money to buy it.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
IMHO they need to change it from the ground up and THEN worry about gametypes.
Ill just copy n paste what i posted in the other thread,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next UT needs to be more than "just another FPS".

Gamers values communities, a chance to be unique/standing out and the ability to communicate with other gamers more than ever.
The success of MMO:s are a, very, living proof of that.
In MMO:s you can easily reach 1000-5000 fellow gamers just by typing your message in the right chat window.

Sony and Microsoft have realised this with PS3:s Home and Xbox360:s recently announced LIVE Party/Avatar system.

In UT3 we are all isolated on different fansites, forums, different IRC servers, Xfire, Gamespy etc and theres nothing ingame that solves that. Its VERY discouraging to open the Server browser and see noone playing your gametype. If you take the same situation in an MMO, standing all alone outside an dungeon, you just shout LFG in the Server chat and youre soon entering the dungeon with others.

Am i saying that the next UT should be a MMO? NO! Im not saying that :) but it should use the good parts from them.

Heres five features i truly believe could make the next UT a success,

1. World Chat with the ability to have subchat windows for Amerika, Asia , Europe or even single countrys.

It should also support Groups (not to be misstaken for Clans) With the ability for the groupleader to invite players and then ”drag” the group to a server of his choice be it DM, CTF or Single Player COOP. This is already used by a small amount of players on IRC (PUG:s) to get good games going for several maps in a row without players switching teams or leaving. The ability to copy and paste server IP:s is a given here btw.

2. Unlocks BF2 and CoD4 did a pretty good job with this but itll be even better suited for the UT world. CoD4 made the misstake to stop at lvl55 and BF2 had too big a distance between the promotions.

With a working skin and character system the sky is the limit. One could offer 2-3 characters per faction out of the box and the same amount as unlocks, letting players build their characters part by part. Some non-critical weapon upgrades could be added to the unlocks too.(Skin color, Beam colors maybe even the spiralling rockets mode?)

This could be done by levelling up or the Rocket Scientist, Combo whore "achievements" etc for unlocks. Or one could use both.

3. Official ladders One ladder for each gametype and continent (Amerika, Europe, Asia etc).

These ladders should be on the Front UT3 website. Just add a vote type called ”Official Match” that the teams can call when theyre on a server they both like. When everyone has voted yes a game for the Official Ladders has started and cannot be stopped unless both teams agree (another vote needs to be started) and if one team leaves midgame the other team just needs to wait it out to win. Harsh but simple and the same for all.

Results from Official matches are announced in the world chat. This could be claimed to be for bragging rights only but, more important, it will show that the game is alive.

4. Clans All MMO:s have the ability for their players to form guilds ingame and its taken for granted these days. This is needed for the Official ladders to work.

5. Piracy With a closer online connection and with a steady stream of unlocks as one example it will be harder for people to warez the game. Itll still be there but itll be a tedious and exhausting experience if done right.

So is a working Clan feature really a key to a FPS games success you ask?

Yes, to some extent i believe so anyway and heres why,

When the game has been out for a while and the new oh so shiny games are starting to come out, people will still be (forced, one might say) playing the game, populating the public servers because theyre still in that Ladder or Cup. Or theyre still playing so that they can do good in the next seasons Ladder or Cup.

But thats something the unlocks also will do since people will be wanting that next part of armor to get that uber cool Necris nalicow set or that awesome color shift in the ASMD Combo effect.

Phew, while reading through my post for errors i see my sig at the bottom with the link to a server i pay for every month and theres 0 out of 10 players on it and somehow it feels like it proves my point. Im advertising the server here but how many of all the UT3 players out there sees it, 50? 100?
And how many of those will actually click the link and join the server when it says 0/10?

Anyway, thanks for reading this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've been thinking of making a mod with unlocks, however it is a fine line to walk in a game like UT. What kind of unlocks would you have without drastically improving the gameplay for individuals? This is a problem in CoD4 as well, since new players start with basically nothing and it takes them longer to get up to the levels where they get better weapons now.

Xavi

Southamerican Rocker!!!
May 6, 2008
Barranquilla, Colombia
Uhmm i think an expansion would be the perfect direction, especially if it is more polished, and also if its done please advertise the game more, if UT3 have not sold like other titles is because Midway is not good enough publisher for Epic games. Need more hype.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I've been thinking of making a mod with unlocks, however it is a fine line to walk in a game like UT. What kind of unlocks would you have without drastically improving the gameplay for individuals? This is a problem in CoD4 as well, since new players start with basically nothing and it takes them longer to get up to the levels where they get better weapons now.

Yea i agree.
The unlocks would have to be less about the damage you do to other players but rather how good it looks when you kill them.

It will be hard to mod this, because who would install a mod that gives you less weaponry?
I guess you have to give them something they dont have already or make a mod that kick so much ass that they have to install it.

And Gregori, stop that, it makes me uneasy ;)

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Everyone asks for Assault to come back in threads like these, and then when Epic brings it back, none of them play it.

Not normal assault indeed. Rather racemaps and trials. Some find them fun, including me, and playing them taught me a great deal about player and vehicle movement under certain circumstances. An example is that when you leap off a ramp, you can break and accelerate in air in such a way that you're launched forward when you land. Do it wrong, and it can greatly backfire. I now use this experience when playing VCTF. :)

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
This would be my dream UT4.

You start off online with an assault rifle. You play enough to get enough cash to get training to buy something like a rocket launcher, and progress to the next level of deathmatches. The general idea is that
-You play with others the same level as you, initially with limited weapons, so that newbies can learn the weapons propperly, then you buy licenses to use the various game vehichles.

THe point of unlocks is to force new players to learn every weapon and appreciate every vehicle. This should not take long 3 days or a week at most of playing. Then you can be recruited, and paid, to play in team deathmatches and the team captain gets the spoils and has to pay his teammates, so that you have a sort of in game economy. Then you can own tracts of land which you fight over in Warfare rounds, again with two team captains picking teams, paying the players. You could also have leagues and tournaments, and whenever two players from the same league are on a server the same time, they can play out their fixture.

Once you've got enough cash, you can be a captain yourself, and when your turn comes on a server, you can challenge the other team's captain to a game, you pick teams, and fight over ownership of territory.

Add in a mix of custom weapon skins as you progress through levels, and go faster stripes(custom decals) on my manta with custom horns again as I progress, that would be perfect.

Failing the complex economy, just the horns, skins and go faster stripes would be enough.

The bottom line - the gameplay is fine, it's the in-game social side that's missing. I agree with that 100%.

As for Brizz's mod. I guess that Battlemode's Battle RPG has much of the backbone to what you'd want to do, in terms of persistent rewards, and in terms of some weapon skins - but I agree that having rewards that are not gameplay based wpuld be ideal.

The first thing I'd have would be endgame stats that gives rewards for the most accurate, most dammage, and whatever else, and that you unlock custom weapon and vehichle skins as you complete various achievements. You also get an in-game rank.

World in Conflict does this very well
http://demo.worldinconflict.com/us/

Last edited:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Yea i agree.
The unlocks would have to be less about the damage you do to other players but rather how good it looks when you kill them.

It will be hard to mod this, because who would install a mod that gives you less weaponry?
I guess you have to give them something they dont have already or make a mod that kick so much ass that they have to install it.

And Gregori, stop that, it makes me uneasy ;)

never!

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
a buddy system that works! with more ease to handle messages, friends, invitations, chatting and stuff! the current system is really primitive and quite limitating and frustrating.

Vehicles that BEHAVE! like vehicles, i really cant believe you can pin down a hellbender with the stinger, for ****'s sake, we're just talkking about bullets! try to simulate armor for vehicles, they are all too weak and powerfull at the same time.

Better score boards! i can't believe that if i'm playing CTF all i get is "score" what about flag scores, flag returns, EFC killed, covers, defenses, kills, deaths.

More ways to customize my UT, custom crosshairs like in ut99, custom colors, custom hud size, custom hud colors, that makes people feel good, and not everyone likes to get their hands dirty with the *ini's

One more thing
If i'm following a friend, and he's playing on a full server, dont just give me the "server is already at capasity" message, if the server is full then spectate it directly! dont just give me a big no, cause then i won't even know in what server is he playing.
Tell me what server, gametype, map, player count and ping has the server where my frrend is playing, i CAN'T figure all that stuff out with just a big checker for "playing".

Owwww, and btw, what's the point of having statistics, if they update once each solar cycle?

Last edited: