Grand Theft Auto 5

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I would completely be down for a futuristic GTA. The games are generally vehicles for satire, and sci-fi is a perfect realm to engage in satire. Hovercar chase sequences and rocketpacks ftw.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
yes GTA is all about satire, but it's satire concerning the world we live in (and/or the recent past). it's about things we know, not science fiction. this is LIBERTY and VICE, not the Jetson's or Lost in Space.

the beauty of the satire is in the fact that we can relate to it and lash out against it in brutal, gritty fashion. sometimes when the world gets you down you just feel like jerking the wheel onto the sidewalk for a few yards, listening to the screams of those fatally injured as their skulls fracture against your bumper and lifeless bodies tumble beneath your tires. this is GTA at its finest.

if it suddenly went space suits and laser guns with wise cracks about the oppressive Martian overlords, something just wouldn't feel right anymore.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
yes GTA is all about satire, but it's satire concerning the world we live in (and/or the recent past). it's about things we know, not science fiction. this is LIBERTY and VICE, not the Jetson's or Lost in Space.

the beauty of the satire is in the fact that we can relate to it and lash out against it in brutal, gritty fashion. sometimes when the world gets you down you just feel like jerking the wheel onto the sidewalk for a few yards, listening to the screams of those fatally injured as their skulls fracture against your bumper and lifeless bodies tumble beneath your tires. this is GTA at its finest.

if it suddenly went space suits and laser guns with wise cracks about the oppressive Martian overlords, something just wouldn't feel right anymore.
Who says it has to be martian jetsons style? I was thinking Deus Ex: HR style.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
The point stands. It would then be a satire of aspects of our society in a different context. Whether it's civil rights issues where instead of a gay couple an android couple is fighting for their right to adopt babies, or an overbearing government that controls people with brainwaves instead of regular old television, or thrashball players cheating with artificial limbs and implants instead of baseball players cheating with steroids...
It's what Star Trek The Next Generation did, but so far it's not what GTA has done.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Why not a GTA set in the early 20th century?

MarlinWardDeimler.jpg

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

Really? The Jetsons or Lost in Space? Don't be silly. Think Gattica, Minority Report, The Island, Starship Troopers, Children of Men, Idiocracy, (okay, only a few of these are parody (Starship Troopers, Idiocracy), but the rest are relatable future scenarios that are attempting to shine a light on social ideas) etc. Are you saying we can't relate to a feeling like the corporations rule everything or that we just wish we could do x or y?

I think that you are being far too literal in your belief that people relate to GTA because it is like life. It is NOT like life in almost any way, it is a parody of things in life, which is perfect for a slightly futuristic (think 20 years from now with occasionally much more awesome tech). The games are fun because they are fun, not because we run over people on the sidewalk because all of the cars have secret 500lb stashes of concrete in the trunks.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
well now we're parsing words.
the original point I was responding to was "future" GTA. you characterized it as "sci-fi"which is totally not what GTA is about. it could be, but it would be a radical departure from the tried and true formula they've used thus far.

but if we're going to say that it's only "slightly" futuristic, maybe there's some room to work. it would have to be done very carefully and I still say it's a bad idea. besides, look at all the aspects of pop culture that GTA hasn't even touched yet.

they did Miami Vice, they did Blood/Crips in Compton, and they did New York.
there's no need to rush into the future and make things up when you still have the entire world to work with. I would love to see GTA go overseas and do the Russian Mafia thing from the 1960's - 70's. or go to South America and do the Columbia drug lord thing in the jungle. and what about Asia? lets go to Japan and do the Yakuza thing, or China for that matter. the Great Wall is just begging to be driven on.

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
GTA has never been futuristic, slightly or otherwise.
it's either current or slightly past.

GTA3 was basically a generic, modern-day "any" city. Vice was the 80's, San Andreas was the 90's, and IV was post-9/11 New York.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
you mean the old top-down GTA that wasn't even 3D?

that doesn't count.

You know what wasn't a Zelda game? Zelda. Also, Super Mario Bros+ 2 + 3 weren't Mario games either. Also Metroid and Super Metroid. Not those games. If you have a successful 3D iteration, it doesn't matter how good the 2D versions were, they simply don't count.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
A Prohibition era GTA would be neat, but the vehicles wouldn't be inspiring, and there would be no flight other than WWI dogfight-style planes. Also I dunno how receptive GTA gamers would be with a game set in the 1920's and early 1930's. It could be the first GTA in the modern eras to feature a place outside of the USA. I would like to see a mission where you had to run alcohol across the border from Canada over the Great Lakes.

The good thing is that you wouldn't have a cell phone to be constantly bugged to do stuff with your cousin. ;)

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
update from IGN.com:

Rockstar has confirmed that Grand Theft Auto V will be set in its fictional world of San Andreas.

San Andreas is a fictional U.S Southwestern state which includes three cites based on real U.S cities - Los Santos, (Los Angeles), San Fierro (San Francisco) and Las Venturas (Las Vegas). Rockstar has a habit of tweaking its cities, and GTA V is set in modern day, so it's possible that area names and the city's layout will change.

23tno5l.jpg

Notice an "Interstate" sign; for one city?

Rockstar has confirmed that the game will be set in Los Santos and surrounding area, though they have not specifically denied that San Fierro and Las Venturas would be in the game. What's most likely is for the game just to remain the way it was described by Rockstar in their press release, Los Santos and surroundings, but R* is a very sneaky company and until they deny that LV and SF are not in the game, there's still a possibility of these cities being shown in the next trailer.