Asking info for a couple of things...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NicolasEymerich

Problems? Ask Cthulhu. 555-Nyarl
Apr 18, 2006
Milan, Italy
Hi, I'm new here... I'm building a CtF map with a gothic-evil style (it will be my first map ever built with UEd2) for UT

I'm going to ask you some advice about these three points:
- First of all, I was trying to realize a decent effect for a kind of Burning Sphere. I tried with a custom fire texture on a volumetric brush, but the effect isn't really what I wanted to. Maybe a mesh? (but I don't know how to make one...)
- Then... there will be a column which will show "souls" crossing the map level and going towards the sky. I'm trying to do as bots and players be "attracted" towards the column (with a ZoneInfo--->Zone Movement) but I also want a kind of "vibration" effect within these areas, and I'm asking how to gain this effect.

Thank you for anyone answering. Please excuse if my english isn't that much correct. :D

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
You can try MeshMaker for building deco meshes in UnrealEd 2.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for with the "vibration" effect, though. Do you mean you want the players themselves to "vibrate" whenever they're in the area of effect? If so, are you absolutely sure that it's a good idea, from a gameplay perspective? I know that if I were playing a map and my character suddenly started shaking back and forth, I'd be extremely annoyed. :)

NicolasEymerich

Problems? Ask Cthulhu. 555-Nyarl
Apr 18, 2006
Milan, Italy
Thank you very much, Irony.
For the latter question,... do you remember AS-Overlord from UT, where is the Long-Range Cannon? Whenever it shoots, there's a big earthquake effect.
I intended to make an effect more or less 1/10 of that intensity, but continuous as well. Not to shake bots and players, but as to simulate the huge movement of souls nearby, something not actually annoying, but relevant somehow...

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
Ah, I understand. You can probably just use the same sort of setup that was in AS-Overlord, in that case. The actor that produces the effect is called an Earthquake, and you trigger it as you would anything else. AS-Overlord uses a StochasticTrigger to automatically fire the event every 20 seconds, but you can use whatever sort of triggering mechanism is appropriate for your map.