Make a proper sky texture

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
How much of the skybox is going to be seen? If it's just out of a window or something, just move the skyzoneinfo actor to a position where you can't see the edges. If you're having trouble with the corners, try selecting "bright edges" in the texture options menu. Another way to do it would be to make the surface "Unlit" This makes the texture a uniform light (the same as a level with just a geometry rebuild and not a light rebuild). Hope these two suggestions help!

I mean like this:

sky6sf.jpg

how can I prevend getting it like this while making a sky texture??

Oh! You mean the tiling effect! Well, there's two ways to fix that. 1) You can make a large texture that stretches well. 2) You can make a texture that tiles well. I personally would just stretch the texture, since that would be easier from the texture design standpoint. I'm not really experienced with texture design, but you could mirror one side to the other(i.e. the right with the left) and then make it look good when you mirror it. The real secret is making the edges match. That's how you're gonna get a good looking sky.

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
Frisket said:
Oh! You mean the tiling effect! Well, there's two ways to fix that. 1) You can make a large texture that stretches well. 2) You can make a texture that tiles well. I personally would just stretch the texture, since that would be easier from the texture design standpoint. I'm not really experienced with texture design, but you could mirror one side to the other(i.e. the right with the left) and then make it look good when you mirror it. The real secret is making the edges match. That's how you're gonna get a good looking sky.
Depending on the type of sky we're talking about, simply using it without tiling may not be an option. For example, if you want to have texture panning on, then it needs to tile seamlessly. I don't know jack about making textures, but one thing I'll point out is that Photoshop (at least the version I'm using, 7.0) has a filter called "Offset" under Filters -> Other that shifts your image down and to the left a certain number of pixels, and wraps it around the edges. So if you've got a 512x512 texture, you could offset it by 256 in each direction, which allows you to see how the edges of the texture align:

nctexe00.jpg
->
nctexe01.jpg

In this view you can do whatever you have to do to get those sharp seams out. Then apply the Offset filter again to shift the image back to its original position, and you have a seamless texture. Of course I can't tell you much about how to get rid of the seams; this is just a useful tool. If you don't have Photoshop or another editor that does this for you, you could always just rearrange the parts of the texture manually for working on the seams.