New Unreal Tournament Confirmed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
David Palinski, Steve Polge, and Stacey "Flak" Conley took to Twitch today to announce a brand new Unreal Tournament. It sounds like this is going to be quite a different process than in the past.

First off, the game will be free. There will not be built-in microtransactions. The game will be a partnership between Epic Games and the community.

• The idea phase begins now. They will be monitoring forums and chat for ideas.
  • A wiki is in place now to help organize the process.
  • Epic is building the framework for the game and will assist in the assembly process now.
  • Unreal Engine 4 developers will be able to make use of the UE4 marketplace to either give away or sell content.

Get busy!

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
This is gonna be interesting. There are times when I feel a game developer knows how to do movement and weapon balance better than the community, and there are times where a developer should have listened to the community for balance and changes. UT was in your face. UT2004 was floaty with hitscan (not necessarily a bad thing), and UT3 re-grounded itself with very well balanced weapons and solid movement. I remember the tons of debate that happened on this forum leading up to UT3, some of it was listened too and some was not (not that either of those are inherently good or bad).

I like how they are gonna start with getting Deathmatch done right then moving up, but also nervous as this will be the most crucial stage for how the mood and feel of the game will unfold. There are a lot of weapons from the unreal games, a lot of maps, and a lot of different play-styles. I look forward to what happens next.

Last edited:

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
pretty much what I expected, except they didn't talk about the details of how they are going to organize and manage the project.
I am kinda worry about the forum discussion thing, because it is really something unusual to use forums to collect ideas, or more likely debate, for a game like this.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Loving the fact that even though it may be months or years, there is hoping for arena style fragging.

UT is no longer a game, its a platform for fragging.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I dont know a game company that allow ( with their leadership from Epic obviously) to work side by side with the community its the most original movement made to date Bravo!!

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I think the best part is that it's completely open which means we'll know when shit is coming to us. I still have bad dreams about UT3 and spending countless hours digging for updates for the game back when I was reporting news on BU.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
So, if you want to be a modder/mapper you have to pay monthly for the dev tools? That sucks hard if you ask me... :tdown: Really hope they come up with some kind of cropped free editor, or the content-making community may be much smaller than we were used to... :rolleyes:

Other than that, it sounds awesome! :D

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
So, if you want to be a modder/mapper you have to pay monthly for the dev tools? That sucks hard if you ask me... :tdown: Really hope they come up with some kind of cropped free editor, or the content-making community may be much smaller than we were used to... :rolleyes:

Other than that, it sounds awesome! :D

Lecter pregunta esa duda a Epic no te pierdes nada, no creo que sea un UE limitado sino no creo que tenga gracia, tengo entendido que es pago mensual o algo....

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
It's a promising start. Well see how it plays out, especially with community involved in it's design.