Business model

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
As we know now, the game is going to be "free, but not free-to-play, just free". The wording sounds confusing, but it seems that they just wanted to emphasize that it won't include freemium or pay-to-win crap.

Of course, the game isn't going to be free software in Stallman terms, but the development is as open as it has never been before. Again, it's all great, but they picked a little bit wrong terms. But that's not really the problem.

They also mentioned that community content makers would be able to sell their content (maps, characters, weapons, mutators, etc.) or give them away. With first option, part of the money goes to Epic. That's, apparently, how Epic Games want to make the profit.

It hasn't stated in the context of new UT yet (unless I missed something), but it's kinda implied that content making would require an active UE4 subscription (or at least subscription bought at least once).

If that's true, look at that from the eyes of potential modder. Suppose he wants to give the content for free. Even though UE4 subscription isn't particularly expensive, it still means that he supports another's person/company work by making content not for free, but on the contrary, by paying money for that. I doubt many people would do this. Enthusiasm has its limits.

If he doesn't want to give content for free, and wants to sell it, we get a different problem. The game essentially becomes "freemium". Not in the worst sense of the word, but it's still kind of "DLC milking". For some reason, I'm afraid that not many people would buy even anything. Moreoever, if there's going to be a lot of great content (and I'm sure there's), almost no-one will buy everything. Thus, community becomes fragmented.
Not to mention that there's no guarantee that enough people will buy the content at all, so it's still risky to the content author.

How it's going to work out? Here's some of my random thoughts (options):

• Donations to content authors. I already suggested the idea on the official forums. It's a good improvement over plain "give away", but donations are obviously not reliable. It's even questionable that many people would get those 19$ per month.
  • Mod authoring tools actually won't cost 19$ per month. It's possible that later down the development they'll find a way to release the editor separately, like it has always been done with previous games. Maybe even something can be done about mutators. The problem is, game would be simply unprofitable for Epic this way. Or, perhaps, there would be lightweight engine subscription for mod authors. That alleviates the problems mentioned above somewhat, but not completely.

Rohit

May 29, 2008
Would making paid mods in the marketplace free after a certain time period address the fragmentation issue?

As for mod authoring tools, it would be nice if Epic gave a stripped down version of the Unreal Editor that only creates Unreal Tournament content for free. Of course, this could only be done once the game actually *exists*...

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
It should be a donation system, not an obligatory purchase system.

I'd rather see artists make something for free and people paying them to make something else only after they've proven they know what they're doing. Kind of like a kickstarter donation system for a new map after the first one they made was popular. Not obligatory, but entirely up to the player if they want to donate. It'll keep good maps coming and shitty maps free.

This will also keep people from being kicked out of servers that are running maps they haven't bought. If you go the route where things absolutely require a purchase, half the time people won't even play your stuff because they won't be able to online.

Rohit

May 29, 2008
I also wonder how music will be handled, if Alexander/Michiel/Kevin do contribute their work to the game. I doubt Epic is willing to pay them, if the game is going to be free. Would a Patreon/Kickstarter system work, where the community pays to have music created? The authors could release copyrights on the music so any mapper can use them in the game, but could also also offer them for sale on something like on Bandcamp.