I don't know if I'll like Unreal 2 now.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye74

Oct 5, 2000
Visit site
I read the article in PC Gamer today, and while the game looks spectacular, I'm not sure if I care for the storyline so far. One of the great things about Unreal was the fact that you were just some prisoner who became stranded on this planet; you were all alone, and everything was unexplored. I enjoyed the solitude aspect of it. Now, with Unreal II, you are this guy with a ship and crew, and you are going on missions in places that apparently are already explored. You can even take troops with you and give them orders. It just sounds like any one of dozens of generic FPS already out there, and the feeling of solitude probably isn't going to work with you being in constant contact with your ship and crew. Also, instead of being just another nobody like in the original, your apparently going to be some commando type? I know it's a whole new story, but frankly I just don't know if I care for it.

The game is going to look incredible of course (though the article seems to imply you'll need a Geforce III to take advantage of the new features, and I'm not buying one of those for the price they are asking). What I'm really looking forward to is a whole new line of games based on this new engine. It's still over a year away, so maybe the story isn't going to be too boring. Just my worthless opionions though :)

Emjoi

Dec 27, 1999
Melbourne, Vic, australia
Most Shooters are Solitary adventures. You're one guy who slaughters an entire planet of baddies.
Doom, Duke, Quake, Unreal, Sin Half Life etc etc. It's a common story.

The team bots Epic made for UT are very cool. They work great and make the game a whole lot more interesting.
Moving that into a single player game, and having it actually work (unlike in the *D* game), will be great, IMO.

Still, yes there is gonna be a backlash from the Unreal 1 oldtimers. The lack of Nali and Na Pali. the lack of Gothic stuff, the heavier focus on UTish Sci Fi. I can see alot of people aren't going to get what they wished for.

Ahh well.

Hawkeye74

Oct 5, 2000
Visit site
I would be happy to except I don't have a scanner; the pics in PC Gamer are not very good anyway, the quality I mean. As far as the article it mentioned a few of the weapons, the new particle system, and of course Aida, the 10,000 polygon babe in your crew, who will have actual flowing hair and the works. I suppose it will be a great game, but I think I will miss the lonesome gothic moodiness of the original.

PC Gamer might post the article on their site later on.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Give it a chance. I will miss certain aspects of the original too, but hey, that's what mods and Mission Packs are for. It's nice to see that they're trying new things with the bot AI. And unlike other companies' attempts, at least Legend is working with terrific bot AI from the start.

As far as the pics go, I'd scan them and post them, but this is a sensitive subject around here, and we're dealing with a company that we want to work with in the future. So, best I don't burn any bridges for us. :) Besides, we'll have our own pics....very soon.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
the mag is out in stores at least today i saw it in b&n shelves and it looks sounds great! whoa!
sounds to me really cool like a combo of unreal and some aspects of ut assault type games, cool... cant wait! :p

Kail

mapper, designer and unreal fan
Feb 3, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
There are thousands of diehard Unreal I fans so I'm convinced there will be a "Unreal II --> Unreal I" mod or map pack released by the community.
All this sci-fi assault stuff is a bad idea, I think. Why make Unreal II into some kind of UT game when UW will be released just a few months later? Make one 100% SP adventure FPS and one MP fragging FPS. Make both extremes and you'll satisfy every gamer. And those few who enjoy the gray in between will be able to design their own mod.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
You're missing a few things, Kail. Unreal already is a sci-fi game. If you're specifically talking about the fact that you will be involved in 'squad tactics', I think that Legend is smart to go that route.

1) They're already starting with some of the best bots available.
2) Military style action games are extremely popular.
3) It's not just a carbon-copy of Unreal.

As far as the modes of gameplay go, it would be insane for a developer to release an Unreal title without a fair amount of online options. It's coming off the heels of one of the most successful non-id action shooters in gaming history!

I don't think they'll forget about the singleplayer. Remember, the code for most of that (multiplayer) is already in place. Who knows what Epic's game will do?

Cyberian_2K

Adept
Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
I don't think this game with be a pure assault type game. It wil be influenced by assault and the other UT gametypes.

I think we should expect a pretty strong storyline and not discount that.

Besides CliffyB is the executive producer of U2 and is the lead designer on Unreal Warfare, so I don't think we'll be seeing redundant content or gameplay aside from the usual DM, CTF etc.

Star Trek Voyager Elite Force had some pretty interesting squad-based action. It will be interesting to see Unreal II top that.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Its a little sad to see that a lot of the Unreal fans seem to want the same game again, albeit with the new engine. This is the kind of thing that makes developers keep rehashing the same old plot (or lack thereof) in their games causing an overall stagnation. Guys, give Legend a chance. We all want a fun game in the end and if they deliver on that I don't see why they should be pilloried for moving away from the original into fresher pastures. In fact a lot of people were disappointed with the Na Pali pack precisely because it was too much a rehash of the first game (I'm one of them).
As of now the game has a lot of neat ideas and I just hope they are able to implement all these features seamlessly into innovative gameplay.
For the die-hard U1 fanatics I'd advise you to play that game again. After all its still one of the most gorgeous and amazing games of our time.

Kail

Feb 3, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
Well said.

Still I wish they will not stray too much from Unreal's characteristics. But we are just making assumptions here and we should give them a chance. WoT and RtNP were great and I have trust in Legend. We'll see more previews further on so let's wait till then before we give any final judgment.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Yes Kail they are.
btw anyone upset that the tentacle nail-spitters aren't returning? ;)

I hope U2 will feature more gadgets like the translator.
How 'bout motion scanner, weapon repair toolkit, portable med-pack... oooh lots more ideas needed here guys, let's not just think about weapons.

Kail

Feb 3, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
What about IR goggles with nightvision like those in Half-Life Opposing Force? These could be even more cool showing real IR instead of simply an enhanced image.

StormHammer

Storminator
Teams are a good idea...

Frankly, I'm a bit tired of the old style of FPS, where you are literally on your own against a whole planet of bad guys. Not only is it unrealistic, it gets a bit lonely after a while.

That is one of the reasons why I like UT - playing Team deathmatch, Assault etc. You feel part of a team, you can give them orders, and help them out, and you start to care about your team-mates.

You could argue that Unreal gave you the same feel of play, because you helped the Nalis, they helped you, and you felt good about it.

Give the guys at Legend a chance to explore new concepts for the FPS, and make it a better genre, rather than simply rehashing the same old tired formula.

People have been disappointed that there has been no co-op play in games for a while. Well, I know they're not real players, but at least bots give you the feel of co-op play. You are no longer on your own in the game, and that's a good thing.

As for equipment, I started a thread on that in another forum, and there were some good ideas. Some of them you've mentioned here.

What I don't want to see in Unreal 2 (except maybe in MP mode) are power-ups like the relics, super-shield and quad-damage. I especially hated things like this in Quake 2, because you could carry the damned things around with you to use whenever you felt you needed them. It destroys the gameplay, IMO.

And no Redeemers either. That weapon has always been too powerful.

If they can get the balance of weapons right, and allow us access to what is now standard equipment (field light, night-vision, etc), then I think it'll be a good game.

A lot is going to depend on the level design as well. It's alright having rolling hills, but not if you're just going to be walking through them. I want to see some hot action outside as well as inside. Unreal failed to deliver this, IMHO, and I got fed up running through the scenery to find the next hotbed of action. I mean, there was nothing wrong with the scenery, don't get me wrong, but once you've seen it (and it isn't really developed effectively enough as you progress), you start to ignore it and concentrate on the gameplay.

Now, if they included a lot more environmental hazards and puzzles, it would make the game longer, and give it greater playability. I don't mean the senseless puzzles of Tomb Raider - I mean things like having to knock a tree down to cross a ravine, or hiding under/behind a rock to avoid a stampede.

The other thing that has to be in the level design are a lot more secret areas that you can access without assistance. And some kind of tally of secret areas after each mission so you know how many you missed. That also helps to give a game greater playability, and a greater sense of achievement as a gamer when you beat a level.

Keep up the good work, Legend, and give us the best FPS experience ever...!

Kail

Feb 3, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
Gunman Chronicles has some excellent puzzles...if you haven't played that game - do it! It's far too short but its puzzles are awesome. Legend should check those out for some great inspiration.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
Storyline isn't everything. As long as U2 has the same great gameplay and atmosphere that Unreal did, it should be damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.