IDE/Text Editor War!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
My only real gripe with text editors is they either have too many features to be useful because you can't find anything or they don't have enough. I like Notepad++ as it seems to strike a balance. Shortcuts like Ctrl-Shift-Up/Down to swap lines or Ctrl-D to duplicate a line are great. My only semi-major issue with it at all is its color scheme system is very annoying as far as getting a common theme going across all syntax types. All you can really do there is set up the few you use the most and hope the rest look okay. D:

Though, I kinda just wish TextMate was available for Windows. The Windows "port" of it, e, is too barebones and not free enough to be useful. :/

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
TextMate costs $35!

My biggest gripe with Windows editors is that none of them allow you to compare two files side by side. Notepad++ has a Compare plugin, but it is the crappiest POS I've ever seen, might as well not have it. What I need is something like TextWrangler's Cmd+D in OSX.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I used to be a fan of Eclipse but then I discovered Netbeans which made web programming infinitely easier.

Wow, most make the reverse transition. Netbeans is ok for Java but Eclipse has a few extras and it's the most common IDE used by professionals. What language do you program in ?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
TextMate costs $35!

My biggest gripe with Windows editors is that none of them allow you to compare two files side by side. Notepad++ has a Compare plugin, but it is the crappiest POS I've ever seen, might as well not have it. What I need is something like TextWrangler's Cmd+D in OSX.

Get WinMerge ... it even allows you to copy the differences between the two.
Link : http://winmerge.org/
Granted, it's a file-compare&merge-tool and not a text-editor, but it does what it needs to do.

//
So no one's mentioned Borland Delphi 7 yet ?
OTOH Visual Studio 2005/2008 are very good, but IMHO that's more due to the nature of .Net code. I'm sure any IDE could do the same if the language supported the kind of reflection that .Net does.

PsPad ought to be mentioned as well. ( http://www.pspad.com/ )

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Have a look at ConTEXT, side by side compare, and if your code language isn't there by default, there's a huge library of Highlighters, plus it's free (as-in beer)
SWEET!!!!! Finally! I thought I had tried ConTEXT for it, but obviously not, it has simply the best side by side compare in any Windows program I've found. The biggest problem with the others is it REQUIRES the files to be local. And I need a way to compare two remote files easily. In ConTEXT and TextWrangler, you can just open two files and compare them, it doesn't care where they are from.

It's a little less simple than TextWrangler, but it will work.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
TextMate costs $35!

As I have mentioned before, eclipse allows you to do a side by side comparison of files. All you have to do is select them from the explorer. I am sure this functionality is duplicated in all eclipse variants. You can even use it to compare entire folders or projects sorta like version control.

Wow, most make the reverse transition. Netbeans is ok for Java but Eclipse has a few extras and it's the most common IDE used by professionals. What language do you program in ?

I always got the impression that a lot of the web specific ideas in Java came from netbeans ie the whole bean concept. I think that for general java development eclipse is still much better. I don't have to remember function names, what parameters they can take, or even what packages to include. Eclipse does it all for me.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
As I have mentioned before, eclipse allows you to do a side by side comparison of files. All you have to do is select them from the explorer. I am sure this functionality is duplicated in all eclipse variants. You can even use it to compare entire folders or projects sorta like version control
As I said before, though, they have to be on your local filesystem. With ConTEXT or TextWrangler, I can open any two arbitrary files off SFTP and compare them. Eclipse's usefulness in this case is completely null and void.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY

I used it with Java last semester to make an online auction system similar to Ebay. I just know that it took a lot less setup work than Eclipse did for web applications at least.