Steam - just hot air or actually a driving force for UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I am torn because I like the ideal of DRM free completely.

However, I absolutely want things like the Steam Workshop and Steam Cloud and the easy multiplayer/matchmaking, and joining games from the friends list, and all of this stuff that Steam provides out of the box. In order to get that without Steam integration, Epic will have to create their own platform that replicates it. After seeing how the UE4 launcher currently works, I have my doubts they could do that in a reasonable amount of time.

Seeing as Steam is the #1 platform on PC at this time, it seems like a no-brainer. But it might have an affect on their planned monetization models.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
It shouldn't, so you don't have to depend on 3rd party online authentication service.
That could be optional for people who like Steam, but definitely should not be mandatory.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
I think it should use Steam. Out of all the services like it, it's the best one available. Maybe because it's been out the longest and Valve has had more time to polish it or whatever. I just don't wish to have another similar service to Steam installed on my computer. I avoid Origin for that very reason. Plus the fact that I don't trust anything from EA anymore.

I think it should be fully integrated into Steam w/ the workshop, cloud and match making system.

But for the love of God please utilize some sort of in game server browser as well.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Sweeney commented on the subject, and said it was a matter of how well they can integrate their market place idea with Steam workshop and other features. If they can do it, they will definitely go for it. Regardless, there will be a Steam-free version either way, downloaded from their own website.

Rohit

May 29, 2008
How integrated would you want UT4 to be with Steam? I can accept it being optional, but not required.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
How integrated would you want UT4 to be with Steam? I can accept it being optional, but not required.
Working friends list (right click -> join), possibly workshop integration, so you can view/download/manage content without opening the game and cloud support.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
It shouldn't ever require a 3rd party app running to function.
If it was a small thing I wouldn't mind so much, but it is a load of bulk best run when or if you actually need it.
I've had a steam account for quite a while, but so far I haven't needed it for anything I couldn't do some other way, and as I can log into my steam account with other smaller apps, I don't have to put up with some bloated software and it's huge updates, slowing things down.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
I'm fine with it being fully integrated with Steam provided Steam is not required to be connected to the internet to play online.

IE: When Steam is down you can launch the game and use the inbuilt server browser or join a game directly from the IP a la 2K4.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
My concern falls with user created content. I'm not familiar enough with Steam's Workshop to know how that works. More pointedly at some of us are discussing getting Nali City fired up again. How would that work if all the maps would only be available through Steam? Would we only be able to do reviews, but now download links? Are we going to have to buy the maps first to review them?

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
My concern falls with user created content. I'm not familiar enough with Steam's Workshop to know how that works. More pointedly at some of us are discussing getting Nali City fired up again. How would that work if all the maps would only be available through Steam? Would we only be able to do reviews, but now download links? Are we going to have to buy the maps first to review them?

Well I only have experience with Killing Floor, but I imagine it would be similar.

I hate getting maps/mods off the Steam Workshop, but my only argument towards this is because I host servers and finding the files needed to host them on a server after downloading them through the workshop are a pain in the arse. Thankfully, the map/mod author has the ability to not only put it on the Steam Workshop, but they can also upload their work to a web server with direct links to download.

With that being said, for the average user I think the Steam Workshop is a great idea. Although I never use it, I prefer to download the files directly so I can install them not only on my local game client but also on my server(s).

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Yes of course put it on Steam! Its a great platform that ensures the highest amount of players will install and play the game. Plenty of free games on Steam with their own marketplace have been very successful.

The Steam hate on this forum has always been completely insane. Is installing a game from a DVD and installing patches and incremental patches something people actually enjoy? I'm glad I never have to do that garbage ever again.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Yes of course put it on Steam! Its a great platform that ensures the highest amount of players will install and play the game. Plenty of free games on Steam with their own marketplace have been very successful.

The Steam hate on this forum has always been completely insane. Is installing a game from a DVD and installing patches and incremental patches something people actually enjoy? I'm glad I never have to do that garbage ever again.

Half the people on this forum are 60 year old geezers that can't into internet.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I know that Steam isn't going to be around forever, and Steam is not always accessible as Internet access isn't universal (some parts of the UK do not have adequate Internet infrastucture, let alone some of the other places I end up). I've also managed to entirely lose a Steam account in the past and could not get it back - Valve aren't very helpful in that regard.

DVDs and boxes on my shelf aren't going anywhere - some of which are now over thirty years old and still playable.

This doesn't mean I don't use Steam for convenience, but I'd be an idiot to rely on it. In the event that Steam goes up in smoke, I don't want to lose a ten years of my game library worth thousands.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
At any rate, the discussion is pointless in regard to UT. Tim Sweeney confirmed that the game will be downloadable as a standalone from their site.

You can literally get the source code and compile it for yourself.