Core Game modes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
And I mean core!

There are some great game mode mods, e.g. Jailbreak that will probably come back for the new UT but we need something out of the box that we know rocks as we have already seen it in Core UT.

I would love to see:

DM
TDM
CTF (maybe with vCTF maps?)
Warfare (I like it over ONS)
Assault (massive hit, although Warfare does replace some of it)

Possibly:

Bombing run (it was great fun on the right map)

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
You'll get Deathmatch (and TDM by proxy) and Capture the Flag. You won't get vehicle games modes as core because they require vastly more content.

Domination would be nice out of the box. I'd expect that to come after the core.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Not much interested in vehicles at the moment, since I feel other franchises have done them far better.

Really would like to see UT get back too it's arena roots. (T)DM, and CTF.

BR could be fun with ONS style weapon racks. Wouldn't hurt as a CTF mapping option either. DDOM, or 3teamDOM were also fun IMO. The rest should probably be left to modding.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Yay for CTF, DM, TDM anyways.

If Assault is added I'd actually rather see it without vehicles as it was in UT99. For me back then it was the best gametype and imo much more fun without.

I do personally like BR but nobody ever seemed to play it online iirc so I dunno :/

Would be good to see some discussion about Domination vs Double Domination.

As for Warfare, Ons and vCTF although I like/love them I wouldn't argue with having them as a BP later or a community modded thing :D

Oh and maybe a return to 4 team gametypes too.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Would be good to see some discussion about Domination vs Double Domination.

What discussion is there to have? Double Domination was an abomination and had really critical design flaws. I'm actually very disappointed it ever saw release in a retail product because simple play-testing sessions should have highlighted how utterly broken it was.

DD frequently lead to endless stalemates due to the nature of needing to hold both points to score, or it suffered from teams scoring too quickly because the points were impossible to reach from the spawn points in time to counter once held.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
4 team gametypes too.

Finally, someone else with some taste.

IG BR had some servers that stayed pretty full, I think it became more appealing when you could go straight after the ball, and didn't have to collect weapons and such, which again, I wouldn't mind trying ONS weapon racks to make that process a bit better for at least some of the more staple weapons.

Domination, in my experience, really is just about one team per point.

Classic domination was only fun with 3 teams. The scoring difference really makes no matter. DDOM just provided some cool opportunities for the announcer, but both scoring systems were functional.

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
With DM content (map and mechanics), Duel, TDM and TAM come naturally. I don't think there's a point in distinguishing these modes. It's either all of them or none.
CTF is close, it bears the same core mechanics, but needs its own maps.

Vehicle game modes are vastly different. I think they will be postponed until later either way.
Still, I think Warfare never replaced Assault in any way. It was more like an evolution of Onslaught (good one, in my opinion).

Assault mode, although it doesn't imply vehicles (nor does it imply "no vehicles"), is a different mode, too. And I'd love to see it back.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
DM, TDM, CTF, TAM. Everything else should wait for later.
TAM should just be an extension of TDM, frankly. TAM at it's core is just Last Man Standing with a variety of rules, and I'd like to see TDM tweakable enough to just handle it (or maybe a LMS mode with lots of options, like in UT1).

Instead of BR, I think I'd like to see them bring over a game mode similar to Overdose in UC2. It corrected some of the problematic design flaws of BR, and something like the weapon racks would probably suit that really well.

Primarily, though, I just want a really great DM/TDM/CTF game with a lot of flexibility.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Screw TAM, screw vehicles (although ONS had it's moments).

Putting aside my utter detestation for TAM (and round-based gametypes in general), I'd like UT to stick to it's core gametypes. DM, TDM, CTF. Stick to those at least to start with.

One addition I'd like to see is the original UT99 DOM. The blasphemy against gameplay that was DDOM needs to die and be buried under a crossroads with a stake through it.

If there is the addition of vehicles, then CTF and vCTF absolutely must be separated completely. There's no excuse for thinking they're the same gametype, because they aren't. Vehicle gametypes, if they come later - or at all - must be completely separate from the core gametypes.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
There is no reason that TAM isn't the same thing.

Sorry, did I say TAM should be a core game type?

The camp timer addressed hiding, pickups addressed running, necro was an abomination, and if I had more say in another iteration of TAM, I'd leave very minimal options to the admins.

That game ended up a far cry from it's original design intents, and drew most of it's appeal from it's unforgiving core sister game type.

I always found it ironic that Team Arena Master was more about causing deaths in the match, and Death Match was more about mastering the arena.

I'm sure it will inevitably make it's way into the next UT,and I'm not opposed to it, I'm just more concerned with making Death Match more about fragging.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There's also resurrection in TAM. I think you separate them for the same reasons vctf is a different gametype. The communities are just different.
Was there a game that had both LMS and TAM?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
UT2004? The mechanics are significantly a bit different, being round based.

LMS was DM with a set number of lives, instant respawns, and spawning with a full load out, no armor, items, or powerups.

There really was nothing to stop you from hiding in a corner somewhere, or just generally shielding up and avoiding confrontation. Before those type of players became rampant, and the guy winning the match rarely had the most frags, I actually did like the game.

For me UT2004 was all about mutli-weapon assault. Fast weapon switching, cross weapon combos, and instant attack tactics changes that were only possible if you had a mostly full load out. Trying to do any real offense with only one or two weapon was not only boring but vastly inferior, and why I never really liked to play the inventory management game.

I didn't have that problem in UT.

It's not that I prefer the easy going mindless start with everything type of play, it's just that to me, the depth in 2kx was about how you chained your fast switching weapon together, not "choosing the right weapon for the right occasion." UT did that MUCH better. QL does that MUCH better. UT3 does that MUCH better.

What those types of games modes will really boil down to is weapons mechanics, which will in turn be based on movement. If the game moves more like UT, the NI style of play will not be nearly as necessary. Especially if we have reasonable weapon spawn times. If the game moves like UT2004, well, we'll either have to buff everything that's not hitscan, and dock the weapon switch times, or nerf everything that is hitscan, keep the fast switch times, and watch the popularity of weapons racks and NI style of play soar.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
There's another element that we're missing here. The primary difference between TAM/rocket arena and traditional deathmatch is map control. In TAM you have set health, set ammo counts, etc. There is no map control. Deathmatch on the other hand is all about managing healt, stacking pickups, and hoarding powerups.

Was there a game that had both LMS and TAM?

I don't remember playing LMS in any game other than 99, and it was hardly played at all. But in that case I'd yes UT99 had both since Rocket Arena is pretty close to the same thing.