Mark Rein "Excited for Unreal Tournament Comeback"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
I see. Thank you for providing the source.
Hopefully, it's not set in stone yet, because I doubt it'll work with hypothetical new UT.
Edit: additionally, it probably has been asked in the context of ordinary UE4 subscribers. Epic themselves and perhaps "custom licensees" may play by different rules.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, "Over time hopefully we can find a more polished approach" + they weren't working on a UT game just a while ago → at release they might have found a more polished approach.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I think they're doing it the right way. Having it completely free to play and having alpha builds open to try out will make a better game in the long run.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Having it completely free to play and having alpha builds open to try out will make a better game in the long run.

Depends on how well they listen. I recall they got a lot of feedback on 2004 and didn't really do much with it after the last patch.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Depends on how well they listen. I recall they got a lot of feedback on 2004 and didn't really do much with it after the last patch.

It probably came down to money budgeted for development back then. They had to balance the cost of working on it with the odds of more people buying the game. This time they're just getting money from those who want to develop content. They probably have an allocated portion of the UE4 sales to use for development now. Since a lot of the income will be from people who don't even play UT they have no reason not to listen this time.

It could still suck, but I'm thinking it'll be much better. We'll have to see.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Sticky on the new UT forum.

Here’s the plan:

• We’ve created a small team of UT veterans that are beginning work on the project starting today.
• From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.
• If you are a fan and you want to participate, create a free account and join the forum discussion.
• All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub.
• The game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS.
• Development will be focused on Windows, Mac and Linux.

So what’s the catch?

• It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch.
• When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.
• We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

Sounds good.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Now very important question rises. If Epic builds the core DM gameplay mechanics then how it is gonna be. Original UT style or more like UT3?

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Epic will be getting feedback from the first line of code.

Remember Hi-Rez and Tribes Ascend? They pretty much had a similar situation, except they didn't listen to any feedback, made a crap game, then at the end of development life, they did pretty much everything that people suggested, game improved a ton, then they dropped it and focused on SMITE.
Hopefully Epic will actually listen.