Using Alternate Skins

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Is there a simple way to change the skin/material for a weapon or pickup mesh from within the class code instead of making a duplicate model with a different skin? I would assume even in the default properties there would be way to do it, but I've looked around and there's no info on the subject.

Last edited:

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
The Skins array can be used.

Code:
defaultproperties
{
    Skins(0)=Shader'PickupSkins.Shaders.BlueGlassShader'

DrawType=DT_StaticMesh
    StaticMesh=StaticMesh'E_Pickups.RegShield'
}

Thatll give you the small shield Static, but with a blue shield instead of the gold one.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Awesome, thanks a lot. What about weapons? Clearly the static mesh would work this way, but would this set the 1st and 3rd person skins, would it work the same way, ie from inside the weapon and attachment classes?

EDIT: Nevermind my question about weapons, I figured it out myself. It works!! Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Ok, now I have a question. I changed one of my powerups from my duplicate model to the original model with altered skin. It works, but it doesn't quite look right. There seems to be a loss of detail; for example in the blue shader, it's all flat blue; it lacks most of the white highlights that move across. Does this always happen when using irregular skins, or is it something I did wrong?

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
If its a custom model, chances are that it doesnt have proper UV's... thats the only reason I can think of that itd act like that.
Mind posting a side-by-side so I can better understand what you mean? :)

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
LOL, I think it was my imagination. I made a second version and placed both side-by-side in a level and there was no difference. I think I'd just been sitting at the comp too long when I had that perception. :p