Best looking Unreal series UI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What is the best LOOKING User Interface?

• Total voters

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
But Unreal2 menus don't have keyboard support (which is bad in functionality, but hell even uwindows don't have, nor UT2003 and 2004 menus), though as for mouse support menus these are really the best ones.

Oh and btw you should add also classic Unreal(not UBrowser) one, :p
That one is selectable in Unreal still and also in earlier patches that one was standard.

What do you mean by saying "Keyboard support"?

You obviously missed the first option ;) "Classic Unreal (not the UWindow)"

After looking at the screenshots, I'd go with 2k3. I don't like Uwindows and UT3's menu is distracting with pointless transitions between menus. I think the optimal UI would be a combination of 2k3 and U2.

I completely agree. U2 style + UT2KX wealth of options = killer UI.

Also, make sure you look at the first post again, I've updated it with screenshots (thanks Skakruk!):
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2254987&postcount=1

Last edited:

Axon.Gorge

Is it cold in here, or is it just me?
Feb 8, 2009
I knew this poll would be biased towards uwindows! Rarely people go into what makes it such a good system, personally I think windows is a thing of the past and browsers are the future. How often are we seeing web2.0 features creep into explorer?

Shouldnt it be the other way around? Well no it isnt and I think it goes to show if you want to see how a good UI is done you take a look at the forefront of web design. If game menus were not so linear and wrapped around (like backlinking for urls) then perhaps things would look like they were heading in the right direction for game UI's.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I like UT2k3/U2 color scheme the most, but well organized stuff without useless space IMO looks nicer than background screenshots and super-cool colours... :p
/votes for 2k4.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Functionwise, UT99 had it all. It also looked acceptable for the time, but the graphics were inferior for obvious reasons. Of the 2kx series, UT2003's had a smarter color scheme, but it was nothing to write home about. 2k4 looked like a circus, which is pretty much how it played also so it sort of worked. Unreal II, which ironically failed as the predecessor to Unreal, imo had the most Unreal looking interface of any of them. That is, it actually fit into the universe, and I'd say XMP's server browser even looked cool. UT3's UI all around isn't too great from a functionality POV. Aesthetically, patch 2.0 manages to edge out all previous UT's, which is a tough call. I do not include the HUD in this.. the HUD is pretty bad.. on the right track but bad execution.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
What do you mean by saying "Keyboard support"?

You obviously missed the first option ;) "Classic Unreal (not the UWindow)"

I completely agree. U2 style + UT2KX wealth of options = killer UI.

Also, make sure you look at the first post again, I've updated it with screenshots (thanks Skakruk!):
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2254987&postcount=1

No I did not miss anything, I meant classic Unreal not UBrowser (because ubriowser is fugly, although it only appears if you lselect to join multiplayer game). UBrowser and Uwindows is two different things.

And I mean keyboard support, as in you can go through menu by keyboard arrows......that thing.

Last edited:

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
Personally, I'm not a big fan of any of the UT series GUIs. I guess Uwindows was the best. UT2003-04 had a working GUI, but I thought the over-all design was cartoony. UT3, of course, is the worst.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Unreal Championship 2 looks best. Mostly because of all the videos in the menu. When you select something you immediately get to see it in action. Characters, weapons, maps. I'm not a fan of the background but everything looks good enough overall and the videos really earn it some extra points.

Apart from that, since UC2 is not in the poll, Unreal II. UT2003 is a close second though.

Last edited:

Axon.Gorge

Is it cold in here, or is it just me?
Feb 8, 2009
Yeah Im surprised UC2 wasnt put on there instead of 2 UT3 options! The UC2 one did have the kewl overlay bit for the player profiles as well, I thought that was a pro move, being able to get access to your settings at a click like that is key. You really dont want to be click clicking your way back to the start then click clicking all the way back through to settings.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
While the UT99 interface was the most functional, it was hardly the prettiest. That goes to unreal 2 > UT2004 > the NEW UT3 look > others.

The red on white of the current UT3 interface makes your eyes bleed as much as the blood on the screen. The change to a darker color scheme (even though it's basically the same UI underneath) makes it much more visually appealing, and pushes it over most of the older ones IMO. And as I understand it, this thread is about looks, not functionality. (Functionality is a different story- That's UT99 > UT2004 > UT2003 > others)

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
No I did not miss anything, I meant classic Unreal not UBrowser (because ubriowser is fugly, although it only appears if you lselect to join multiplayer game). UBrowser and Uwindows is two different things.

What do you mean? You can have UMenu (UWindow) console, and Unreal console. Nothing else. Look at the first post...

As for why UC2 isn't included, well, that's because it's not for PC, and as we all have PC, and not everyone has consoles, we wouldn't be able to decide objectively.

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
Couldn't choose between Unreal and Unreal 2. went for Unreal because of the brilliant background "flight" around the castle.

The Unreal 2 menu is very clean, and "sci-fi"-ish, and I loved the calm music as far as I can remember.

as for functionality, which is not in question in this topic however, I'd definitely go for UT99 for obvious reasons.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I'd go uwindows for looks, because i could always customise it. and uwindows for functionality, because damn is it functionable :lol:

In order of visual appeal (imo)
1. Uwindows
2. UT2003
3. U2
4. UC
5. Unreal
6. UC2 and UT2004

(The next ones are actually bad)
7. ut3ui patch 2.0
8. ut3ui patch -0.2

in order of functionality and ergonomics
1. uwindows (Computer based menu for a computer based game, it can't go wrong.)
2. Ut2004
3. U2
4. UT2003
5. UC
6. unreal

(The next ones are horrible)
7. UC2
8. ut3ui patch 2.0
9. ut3ui the "fyck you PC gamers!" version

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
What do you mean? You can have UMenu (UWindow) console, and Unreal console. Nothing else. Look at the first post...

As for why UC2 isn't included, well, that's because it's not for PC, and as we all have PC, and not everyone has consoles, we wouldn't be able to decide objectively.

Did you ever tried to change console from ubrowser one to normal one, or did you ever try to play vanilla Unreal? No, then you don't know what I am talking about...while the menus are about as same, they don't include the Ubrowser thingy.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Did you ever tried to change console from ubrowser one to normal one, or did you ever try to play vanilla Unreal? No, then you don't know what I am talking about...while the menus are about as same, they don't include the Ubrowser thingy.

What? Screenshots or it never happened :p

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I just wish people would stop calling it "UT99" as that is not its name. But I do prefer UT's UWindow menu style over all the others. Maybe it is me, but UT's menu feels easiest to navigate. I'd say that functionally speaking, UT2003's menu was second best.

Other than being pretty, do visuals really matter as long as the user can see the text and options without distraction?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
uWindows was a horrible piece of crap. It's a ff-ing game not an accounting program. Never mind that MDI is so last century.

Unreal 2 looked good, but it had the same scaling problems that uWindows had (ie : you needed a magnifying glass to find anything).

UT2kx was a step in the right direction, but the over look and feel was icky (bright blue and neon glow text ? *yuck* only MySpace-pages have worse colour-schemes).

UT3 had a perfect look&feel even though it wasn't as consistent as it could have been.
UT3 2.0 is a mildly improved version with icky colours altough that probably can be fixxed.