Anyone know how to create this brush?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KuroiTenshi

Ach, ye gibbun.
Feb 16, 2001
kuroitenshi.tripod.com
temp.jpg

posted 07-06-2001 09:27 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Nuff said. Right now, the only way I can think of is to:

1)Go into 2D editor
2)Create a circle
3)Turn it into a revolved brush of about 300 degrees.
4)Manually vertex-editing it so it looks like a steaming pile of sh** and then putting an axe through my monitor.

I would LOVE to hear some better solutions.

On a sort-of related note, someone told me you could move more than one vertex at a time. I'd like to know how this is accomplished.

Cheers

PS: Just in case: it's a spiraling doughnut.

Last edited:

ZodiaK

irresponsible walrus
Feb 14, 2000
onboard The Mothership
ameba.lpt.fi
i'm only got this when i tried the link...

"This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy. "

:(

Techno JF

He Who Has Powerful Words
I really think that the easiest way to do it is to write a brush builder for it in UScript. It would probably have variables in common with both the Spiral Staircase builder and the custom-made Toroid builder.

If I knew more about writing script for Brush Builders, I would use the following variables:

is it a clockwise spiral or is it counterclockwise (yours is clockwise),
how many sides the tube has (does it look like an octagon from the inside, for example),
the tube inner radius (spaghetti thickness or plumbing pipe thickness, e.g.),
the number of segments in the whole shape (like asking how many times it's wound around the middle),
the number of segments per 360 degrees (like the number for revolving the brush in the 2ds editor)
the distance from the central axis that a segment is located (i.e. how tightly wound around the middle is it?),
how steep the spiral is per 360 degrees (i.e. if it were a spring, how much would it be stretched)

I guess I'm just rambling now. Is Tarquin around? He could probably answer this question easier than I just tried to.

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
i know!

Hi all,

I think i know how.

Use the 2D editor, as yoiu have stated, create the circle, and rotate 359 degrees (or something) Then select the vertexes by holding ctrl + alt (drag a box) or just ctrl (click each vertex) Then drag each section vertically upwards by however many units required. It may not produce the desired effect, but you can do it 180, ten copy, and rotate it, so you have a 360 spiral. If you wanted. If this is a really poor description, email me, and i will try to make one for you.

Cheers

DrWinky

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Um. Hi guys :)
the picture took ages to load, I thought you had a screenie of a brush you'd seen in someone's level until I saw it.

I'm afraid that the suggested way using the 2D editor and then vertex-editing the height will make the polys non-planar. It's quite hard to see, and I'll upload a scan of the scribble I just did if you like :)
it's basically for the same reason that the Spiral stairs 'sloped' option has a surface made from triangles rather than quadrilateral polys -- because of the curvature of the shape, the inner and outer track have different gradients.

I'd do it like this with the Extruder tool, but only if I was determined:

set the PresetShape to a circle, & set that to however many sides you want.

make the path into an arc in the XY plane -- there's a special command to do that so you dont have to type in lots of decimals, but that itself is far from user-friendly... the documentation on my site explains how to do it though.

pressing build now will make a partial torus.
now go to the pathpoints array and type in some values for the z-ccoordinate, increasing linearly if you want the helix to be regular, or something else if you want something else ;)

I don't currently have access to UEd (see sig) so I'm afraid I can't test-drive this for myself :(
If you have trouble getting to grips with the MakeArc command post here & I'll work it out....

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
if you have 3ds there's a spring builder you can use. if you don't, someone could make one for you and you could resize it in ued.

KuroiTenshi

Ach, ye gibbun.
Feb 16, 2001
kuroitenshi.tripod.com
Oooh, I finally got it using the torus builder (thanks tarquin).

What you do is, you create a torus, but make it only have, say, 7 of 8 sides. So you get a torus that has a section missing.

Then, you use the vertex editing tool to highlight all the verteces in except in one section, and move them up by say, 32 units. Then highlight all verteces except in the first two sections and raise by 32. Then highlight all but the first three and raise by 32, you get the idea. Then you can just rotate the large segment you have to get an infindefinitely long spring.

The 2D shape thing wouldn't work since it's almost impossible to get a PERFECT circle, and if the shape ain't perfect, you get BSP problems.

This takes a lot of time and patience, but the result looks excellent, and, can you believe it, not a single BSP hole when I rebuild!!!! Tarquin, I bow before you.