SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

• YES!!!

Votes: 126 71.2%
  • NO!

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters

killalot0

May 26, 2005
does none of you guys just hate the switch time of that gun... i'm used to play with the lg and after a hit i always change to the shock to quickly level my opponent. just that darn rifle is soooo slow, it takes forever to change were lg+shock would have killed him now u get ****ed because u shoot thin air. Same switchtime as the lg and its perfect imo(although a tracer would be nice in 2k7)

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
killalot0 said:
does none of you guys just hate the switch time of that gun... i'm used to play with the lg and after a hit i always change to the shock to quickly level my opponent. just that darn rifle is soooo slow, it takes forever to change were lg+shock would have killed him now u get ****ed because u shoot thin air. Same switchtime as the lg and its perfect imo(although a tracer would be nice in 2k7)

This is intentional because of how weaponswitching worked in ut2k3. Just because a feature would let you pwn more doesn't mean that would be a good feature.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
J_L said:
Tis why I like it, stops campers.
No it won't. It'll only hurt the n00b campers.
True snipers will be lethal regardless of how revealing the weapon is, provided it has near-insta-gib qualities.

IF they really wanted to stop campers then they'd have to remove all mid to long range weapons in the game and make the skins act like camouflage ... (you can't shoot what you can't see ;))

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
JaFO said:
True snipers will be lethal regardless of how revealing the weapon is, provided it has near-insta-gib qualities.
I'd say it stops CAMPING. It doesn't really stop whoring of sniping weapons. Still, you don't really find people standing still in one spot shooting the Ltg like you often found people doing with the 99 Sniper.

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
Well there a some MAJOR differances between a LG and sniper rifle.

The LG does more damage vs armor ed vehicles
The LG has splash damage (yes anyone who's acctualy played ut should know this)
The LG also has slightly longer cool down time (I think bout 98% sure on that one)

So it is easily more powerful than the standard Sniper rifle, the main problem with the LG is that it DOES do splash damage, and it can be significant

That being said the LG is electric sex in a can, keep em coming and make the translocator a pick-up only weapon muwahahaha

J_L

Dec 14, 2005
JaFO said:

IF they really wanted to stop campers then they'd have to remove all mid to long range weapons in the game and make the skins act like camouflage ... (you can't shoot what you can't see ;))

This is true but “True Masters” will find “True Snipers” no matter how “True” they are…lol. I should have been a little more descriptive but I did mean that post to be in context of the one before it. Of course its possible to camp but success depends on the awareness and peripheral vision of the opponents…yar?:B

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
To be honest, I don't even care. As long as there is a weapon with a hitscan shot with zoom. It ain't like the shock rifle being removed, thennn I'd reallly get mad.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
[Pain]Nightmare said:
WHY NOT KEEP BOTH??
Because more weapons does not necessarily mean better. You want to play hitscan arena or something? Also, three words: Clutter Creates Confusion. Too much of something is bad in many cases like this one.

J_L

Dec 14, 2005
Bullet10k said:
To be honest, I don't even care. As long as there is a weapon with a hitscan shot with zoom. It ain't like the shock rifle being removed, thennn I'd reallly get mad.

OMG!:eek: I shudder at the thought…

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
HardcorexxX said:
Well there a some MAJOR differances between a LG and sniper rifle.

The LG does more damage vs armor ed vehicles
The LG has splash damage (yes anyone who's acctualy played ut should know this)
The LG also has slightly longer cool down time (I think bout 98% sure on that one)

So it is easily more powerful than the standard Sniper rifle, the main problem with the LG is that it DOES do splash damage, and it can be significant

That being said the LG is electric sex in a can, keep em coming and make the translocator a pick-up only weapon muwahahaha
Major improvements, IMO. However, compared to the UT99 SR (and not the 2k4 one) your damage estimates are slightly off. The UT SR did 70/100 iirc and the Ltg does 80/120 iirc again. The damage amounts don't change when hitting vehicles, so the Ltg only does slightly more damage than the UT SR did.

Also, they DOUBLED the cool down time (the UT SR is 0.9, LTG is 1.8). That right there reduces it's overall effectiveness immensely.

And as for the splash damage is so random that a person could never really rely upon it. Someone made a mutator once that removed the arcs, but I think it adds a sort of randomness to the gun that is kind of cool.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
thought it did 64/128 in UT... some crazy off number like that.

Comparing stats is irrelevant though, since all said weapons in question are hit-scan their constant nerfing as time goes on is due to pings getting better.

The cSR is more balanced then the LtG, but that's not to say they couldn't just import the stats to the LtG and keep it's current asthetic.

I still say something new, and projectile would be best.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I wouldn't mind something projectile either, but people won't go for that for one reason. They don't want to lead. What has newnet shown us? People like their shots to seem to land precisely where they click. Epic would be better server making a gun that is not effected by the netcode, in the vein of a ZeroPing Sniper. It would certainly make people happy.

[Ci]Savatage

Oct 12, 2004
What about making a zoomable Rocket Launcher with lightning trail behind the rockets and a possibility to headshot? :eek:

@HarrySpanner: turns out I only have 1 sig here, haven't put the rotate thingy in yet... So thnx for the compliment :D

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
Last I checked when i shot a goliath with an LG i did a solid 80 damage and with a sniper rifle I only delt 64 ......but as always with me, I could have jsut been imagining this due to the imense ammount of illegal narcotics I ingest on a regualr basis

And as I was jsut alittle noob back when I was playing 99 I dont really rember the SR much, i was mainly referancing the 2k4 one

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
J_L said:
This is true but “True Masters” will find “True Snipers” no matter how “True” they are…lol. I should have been a little more descriptive but I did mean that post to be in context of the one before it. Of course its possible to camp but success depends on the awareness and peripheral vision of the opponents…yar?:B
Sure ... but what good is a sniperrifle in a game if you aren't allowed to master it ?

As soon as someone has the skills to 'pwn' people that way they start screaming 'camper' and demanding the weapon be nerfed.

The sniper-lovers otoh will start demanding for higher damage, faster RoF, faster weapon-switch, etc as soon as they notice they can't 'pwn' as easily as they used to.

Of course it isn't limited to the sniperrifle. The flakcannon, biorifle, minigun, linkgun, redeemer, shieldgun, assault rifle, enforcers, etc. all get the same treatment. Those that like it want it to be even easier to use, while their victims would rather have it nerfed instead.

Neither is willing to consider a change of tactics. I guess that's human nature, but it sure sucks if every game is supposed to have the exact same weapon-balance simply because otherwise people won't be able to deal with it.

Last edited: