Bill Gates on reducing world population through vaccines

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Did anyone catch this ? Either this was a fumble or he was serious.

The world today has 6.8 billion people... that's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2010/mar/10030810

The theory is as follows.

"If you improve health in a society ... surprisingly, population growth goes down," Gates told CNN in 2008. "And that's because a parent needs to have some children survive into adulthood to take care of them when they're old."

"And so, if they think having six children is what they need to do to have at least two survive, that's what they'll do. And amazingly, across the entire world, as health improves, then the population growth actually is reduced."

I'm not sure parents who have had doubts after a miscarriage or seeing a child die after vaccination will be receptive to this.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kJHQpvgB8[/m]
You mean these guys?

Back on topic: you'd have a less sensationalistic title if you used the words "Bill Gates Hypothesizes Improved Healthcare Reduces Population Growth"

Last edited:

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
My very being is diametrically opposed to Microsoft and everything it has put out, but Bill Gates is 100% amazing. He wakes up in the morning and decides which continent he wants to positively change forever.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'm not sure parents who have had doubts after a miscarriage or seeing a child die after vaccination will be receptive to this.

It's not a fumble. It's true. In a healthy Westernised society this is not so much the case. In a country where infant mortality rates are as high as 1 in 5 and families are heavily poverty stricken (e.g. Angola), it often makes sense to have as many children as possible, since many won't survive to their teenage years, and any child that survives is an able bodied worker that can contribute financially.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Better education should also help reduce population growth.

We should also take pointers from Japan (lowest birth rate) and make women choose between freedom and independence or being a housewife. :D

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
In a country where infant mortality rates are as high as 1 in 5 and families are heavily poverty stricken (e.g. Angola), it often makes sense to have as many children as possible, since many won't survive to their teenage years, and any child that survives is an able bodied worker that can contribute financially.

Isn't it interesting that the age of consent happens to be 12 in that country? More evidence that "morality" is really defined by convenience.

:tinfoil3:

You're right! And vaccines do nothing but give kids autism too! Someone should tell someone in charge about this!

Michael Specter: The danger of science denial

17m9A.jpg

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
I don't think it has much to do with vaccinations but more with economic stability. In all societies that have left the 3rd world stage behind you can see the same results - families are just having less children and/or waiting to have kids later in life after they had a career and financial stability. I mean, yes, health plays a role but vaccinations are just a small part of it.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Great author. Him and Orson Scott Card. Ironically enough, both religious authors, yet both strong proponents of intellectualism (not to mention great authors of some of the best sci-fi). Not enough practitioners of faith and science in this world.

Er...Asimov was a staunch atheist. Spoke of it often.