So what has happened to the modding community??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
sounds like vancouver to me

This place makes Van look like paradise.
Not necessarily the best topic matter: Van's homicide rate would have to be 5 to 10x higher per year to equal this place on per-capita.

Last edited:

weisso

Project Lead - Unreal Demolition
Jan 6, 2003
Bellevue, WA
www.dwgames.net
I'm still plugging away here at Unreal Demolition, but honestly, between classes and the lack of support for mods in UT3, it's been slow going.

The UDN still only has a handful of articles of any use, and this is over 6 months since release. Total conversion support is seemingly not going to arrive until sometime prior to deadline 2 of the Make Something Unreal Contest (so sometime in June 28th->October 17th). Apart from that, the engine sort of mandates higher quality content for people to even want to take a look at the mod.

I think things will get better as the MSUC continues. The total conversion support, even for mods like mine, will allow for more flexibility in the way that we can handle configurations, menus, etc, that will allow for a more polished feel. Continued additions to the UDN will also allow programmers to get more information on getting around problems that may arise in working with the engine.

That being said, the less mods there are, the better my chances of winning something in the MSUC eh :lol:

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
...Hmmz maybe my future is bright as a programmer :)
If you write clean code, can test it effectively so that it gets released with the minimum of issues/errors, and can communicate complex issues clearly to business owners (non-technical driods in suits or users) then you'll have no problems finding something.

I've worked with "professional programmers" that really shouldn't be allowed near a computer.

The worst piece of code I ever saw was a 3,500 line C program, all inside a single main() function. Program control was accomplished by a combination of case statements and infinite while loops.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Woah... That C program sounds painful!

Yeah actually I did take alot of the wiki articles I read to heart and even if I know Im the only one reading my code I take the time to write it in a manner which makes it easy to read. For awhile there I was trying to get a unique style going but I realized that happens regardless of layout anyways and obsfucation is just too time consuming unless you use a parser.

Im slowly getting better at debugging and being a self taught programmer I can put things in non-tech terms, perhaps alittle more than I would like :p

Most positions I see require computer science degree's though (maybe Im looking in the wrong spots), not something I really have the time to do. If I could pickup some contract work doing uscript that would be pretty groovy, until then I think I'll end up hackin away on muts and mods :)

Im not really looking to be an engine or tools programmer at all, Im happy to stick with gameplay stuff in a scripting environment, Im sure I could do alittle C if the need arises but I would rather leave that in the hands of people who know C better than I do :cool:

Desp2/ROG

Mar 5, 2004
Jersey
www.planetunreal.com
I lost intrest, the game is meh...

but that is not my main reason if I did not have thesis and many other things happening I would be making maps. Sucks, becuase I would like to stick around and be able to put my creativity into this community and help it grow in some form. Creativity is lacking ALOT! right now. We have some amazing tools yet most levels I see being made are just the same old thing with higher poly counts. I do not think I have seen one level that tries to bring something new to the table... well maybe later like in a nice level pack will I see something amazing :D

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Well getting a job in the industry is significantly hard these days and Game Developers are sometimes totally hiring the wrong persons... what is just pathetic.

By example, instead of hiring DGUnreal they would rather prefer to hire a young innocent who doesn't even appreciate his work...

Too bad

I can tell that around Montreal, most of the Dev are searching Technical Level Designers instead of Level Designer. It means, Level Designers that can script without kismet or other kind of interfaces... just to script things manually you trust me you will get hired quickly.

The last time I saw the Montreal Game Developers, two on three Game Devs were searching that type of Level Designer. We were around 40 students and only a few of us were classified as being scripters & I'm definately not one of them.

Last edited:
Here In NZ we have Digital Dev courses coming out the yinyang and each one of them boasts the oportunaty to having a job with Weta studios, problem with these courses is that alot of them are only focused on the use of Maya and dont offer any alternatives just because its what Weta studios uses.

What if I wanted to lead 3d Studio Max? or blender 3d? or some other application? then what ... it seems here the educatinal system has rebuilt itself around just one company ... dont get me wrong some of the stuff weta do is just amazing ..

LOTR and King Kong ... Halo 3 .... etc etc..

Maybe yall should move to nz you might have a better chance

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Here In NZ we have Digital Dev courses coming out the yinyang and each one of them boasts the oportunaty to having a job with Weta studios, problem with these courses is that alot of them are only focused on the use of Maya and dont offer any alternatives just because its what Weta studios uses.

What if I wanted to lead 3d Studio Max? or blender 3d? or some other application? then what ... it seems here the educatinal system has rebuilt itself around just one company ... dont get me wrong some of the stuff weta do is just amazing ..

LOTR and King Kong ... Halo 3 .... etc etc..

Maybe yall should move to nz you might have a better chance
Similar things here. We have Eidos-Montreal, Ubisoft Montreal, A2M, EA Games and Beenox [an Activision Studio] from Quebec (city) and maybe a few other Devs soon.

The problem here with the Level Designer Formation is that only Ubisoft were searching for LD doing exlusively gameplays and map building when the other Devs were searching level Designer who are good at scripting. The formation only offers one short course of scripting with NeverWinter Night, so it's a big joke (it approximatively equals two full weeks). If you have a programmer background + level designer you have a lot of chances to be hired even if you are a bad level designer :lol:.

This is why I think it's bad. That is maybe the main reason why I see a lot of bad games during the past years, maybe hiring the wrong people or the right people to make a bit of $$$ and offer a crappy game.

Last edited:

vybz

Apr 2, 2008
im curious of why some were talking about cod4 weapons and the skill level and how to get into the game industry (if you want to know that buy hourences' book).

IMO it is actually easier to make mods. to make an effect, particle effect you would have to do it with code, notepad in ut2004 now you can do it with the editor visually. the tools in the editor are soooo user friendly I was amazed, i after using the ut3 editor i couldnt be arsed to use the 2k4 editor anymore. IMO it is quicker to make a bsp map in ut3 and in 2k4. But to make a high quality UT3 map (visuals and gameplay) it'll take longer than in 2k4. there is the meshes yeah not everyone can model (so those people complaining abouint people not using custom content...put a sock in it...). Also to build, cook a map or compile a mutator its far longer than other ut games, for me the editor uses up more memory than the actual game it even crashes my graphics when on 32 bit colour and when compiling a mutator it has to load the ut3 file which takes sooo long as well just as long as loading the game. also it could be not enough feedback from the community, more support please, i have a map i have been working on for 3 months now with (advise, not phisical help from dudes liek slainchild and sjosz...so my map is bound to be worth a try) its called DM-relinquish (NOT A REMAKE)... yeah so i say biggest factor is the time of production and people are busy with their personal lifes too=a bad mix so i think it is too early to ask such a question ;)

Last edited: