PC gaming dieing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
I fear the future. Will I be a custom PC boy in a prefab-Imac world? I want to choose my hardware!!!!! I want to choose my OS!!!!! I want Choice!!!! And me and my Atari 2600 of death will fight for that choice.

Migration to console systems will rob us of that choice.

PCs are the Hotrods of today. Dont let them put us all in automatics

The PC was to be industry's last best hope for productivity, It failed, In the year of the Dreamcast it became something else, Gaming's Last Best Hope For Victory!!! (Music Swells)

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History
Ronnie Mervus will pay for his crimes!!!!
George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!

ZenMasterV

Feb 2, 2000
Visit site
the X-Box will rule all PC's (j/k)

just b/c the X-Box is in development doesnt mean everyone will use it.. most people don't like it really in my opinion. Also, you can still use computers for games even if they come out with the X-Box. PC's wills till be better cuz they will be more configurable. Also, the X-Box lacks high bandwidth connection it only utilizes 56k?? wha's that crap?? in the future.. its all xDSL or Cable man X-Box wont be a big hit in my opinion
The X-Box is for gamers who need a cheap solution who dont have high speed access now. X-Box or any other console for that matter wont replace PC computing by far or any other consoles like it. Also, those of you who dont know: X-Box is microsoft's attempt at a gamer's machine

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
Foo! Who you callin' foo?!!?! Why I oughta...

(aw, damn. I noticed that misspell after I had already posted. Too bad you can't edit the title. I kinda figured everyone here was too stupid to notice, anyway. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif)

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

I love playing "The Devil's advocate."

[This message has been edited by Wingznut PEZ (edited 02-22-2000).]

Smint

Nov 14, 1999
California
In one corner- PC. It's VERY flexible and has multiplayer. Good all - around

The other corner- PSX2 is gonna rock so much...

The middle- Dreamcast may sound cool w/ it's purty graphics and PC like features (wallpaper, internet) but it will die out in a year.

THE WINNER- PC (by a little.

2nd- PSX2 (it's just gonna rock. It can even play DVD or PSX 1 games!

The ugly- The fly DC will not be so cool in a year.

Console gamers will not be avle to put up with ping and conventional phone lines.
Also If you thinks PC gaming will ever be taken over by consoles you are sadly mistaken. PC wil always be more powerful and have more options. Try runing a particle system or T-buffering on a console. OHH THATS RIGHT THEY ARE NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH. THEY CAN"T EVEN DO Gouraded Shading

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
I'm quite surprised that nobody took into account that these are developers' quotes. These are the people who pay attention to the direction that gaming is going.

Also keep in mind that the hardcore PC gamer (most everyone who posts here) isn't gonna be the ones sitting in front of their TV to play games. The developers were talking about the majority... the casual gamer. Hell, most people who buy games, don't ever play them online. We here, are the minority.

As for broadband, the majority of online gamers still use dial-up.

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

I love playing "The Devil's advocate."

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
Another thing is the flexibility of the PC is a better thing, IMO than someone else's idea of "what I need". I don't suppose many people are ever going to get interested in map making on a console. Its great to have so many potential things to do, with a PC compared to a console.

Zeitgeist

Dec 24, 1999
Visit site
Taken from http://www.win98central.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Sony Corp. was forced to briefly shut down its Web site early on Friday after receiving 100,000 hits in just a minute when sales of the new version of the popular video game went online.

The new 128-bit PlayStation2 player -- the successor to the world's most popular game system that has sold 70 million units in the past five years -- is expected to open a new era in the gaming world when it goes on sale on March 4.

Sony halted its swamped Web server just after midnight on Thursday only moments after Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) started taking advance online orders for the console....Even after the failure, the site still received an average 400,000 to 500,000 hits per minute, he added <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a hell of a lot of hits and interest in the PS2. I'm with everyone else, we're the hardcore PC gaming types, who'll scour the web for patches/drivers/latest hardware reviews etc, etc. But the PS2 is going to hit the market on a whole new level. The average gamer, or non-gamer, can get straight into "PC-Quality" gaming and internet access, without the hassles associated with maintaing and staying ahead of the curve with a PC.
I agree that PC's aren't going anywhere in a hurry, but I think that more and more people will defect to consoles like the PS2, as they become more PC like.

bullet2.gif

PuF: The other white meat.

Hammer

Dec 6, 1999
Greensboro, NC, USA
Visit site
First off, I use both formats because they each have content that cannot be found on the other. But, the PC has always been a royal pain in the *** . Ever go to a multiformat site like DailyRadar and read the Q&A sections. PC Q&A's all start like this "I have got system XX and Card YY and XX RAM and for some reason Goober Blasters refuses to boot, but I hear it's really awesome". PSX:"I think Game X is best, I can't wait for Game X2". Most of us hear have gotten so use the upgrade our DirectX drivers,Video Drivers, Winsock,etc... that we don't even imagine it could be any other way. However, have ever considered how much time you spend playing with your system versus playing on your system. Not too mention that hot new video card we just purchased that pushes a gazillion polys but doesn't seem to make the current game look any better because developers won't optimize for a specific card. I should shut up now. Have a nice day /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

ZenMasterV

Feb 2, 2000
Visit site
i believe the biggest threat to PC-gaming is the X-BOx and i hope it does lousy being the hardcore PC guy i am /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
PC-Gaming won't die out. Things will get more standard. We're already weeding out the gaming companies that don't make shît for games. That's why you see them going under. They can't make any decent stuff.

It's called "survival of the fittest".

Those that make great games will continue to.

Those hardware people that succeed will become the defacto standard - ala SoundBlaster.

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

Okay, here is my "two Belgian francs" (which isn't worth a penny). I have both types of game formats. I enjoyed the consoles, but it was lacking in the multiplayer area. Admit it guys, online multiplayer is great and if it didn't exist, how many would go through all the crap a computer dumps on you. However, if you want to play a game, it requires this or that patch. Then the graphics accelerator you spent $200.00 for doesn't work properly with that game, unless you update the driver. Then, the ram isn't sufficient to run the game to it's fullest potential. So, you have to buy more ram. Then after you do all this, another game comes out and it won't fit on your harddrive unless you delete the games you just installed. Yes, graphics are awsome on computers now, but when the PS2 hits, computers will be behind. Of course, the computer games will come out with better graphics and such, but you'll have to pay alot of moola just to see the enhanced graphics. We all read the post about how to "increase FPS" and "decrease pings". They all suggest one thing...Turn your graphics down! Why! I just spent my kids college money (a joke) to upgrade and play these games, for their graphics. Why? Because we enjoy the multiplayer experience. Now, here is a warning...PS2 will have online multiplayer capabilities. And, it won't have all the problems we the tribe experience. For us hardcore and minority computer users, we will still enjoy our comps. But, for the majority, who don't have the time and money for upgrades and reinstallations will follow the broad road to console gaming. Remember this...Amiga was on it's way as a graphics and gaming computer system. It died because the "Majority" had IBM compatibles. The "majority" is what the programmers and publishers will cater too. Until then, I will love my comp...but I'll have an affair with the best looking console too.