A Game of Thrones

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I'm looking forward to this.
probably in the same vein as the recent Pillars of the Earth miniseries on Starz, which was just phenomenal.

but given that this is HBO, I'd still happily trade it away in exchange for a continuation of Deadwood or Rome. nothing they have done since has come anywhere near those 2 shows. hopefully Game of Thrones can buck the recent HBO trend (where they cancel their best show as soon as it becomes too expensive).

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
that would be great.
ever since The Sopranos came to an end, HBO was going seriously down hill. for awhile (until Boardwalk Empire and Treme) the only shows they decided to keep were the crap pop shows like Entourage. I hate Entourage. it's utterly boring and hopelessly shallow. at least they kept the comedy ala Eastbound and Hung.

but there was no good drama.
with Deadwood and Rome they had struck gold and things were really looking up. these shows had so much depth and potential but were shut down due to production costs; this in spite of hugely positive critic and fan reception. in fact, last I heard, fans were still so supportive of Rome that HBO was considering making a feature length film out of it in order to tie up any loose ends.

I wish they would just stick to their laurels and support the kind of truly creative and inventive shows that their network was founded on. you know, Entourage and True Blood and crap like that could easily be shown on network TV albeit some nudity. HBO is supposed to be about pushing the boundaries, not playing it safe.

so.
Game of Thrones.
Boardwalk Empire.
Treme.
hopefully they keep these going for awhile.

Sindarin

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 15, 2004
Looking forward to this.

From what I've seen of the series so far it seems to be an accurate retelling of the books, which is good. Hope this gets more then one season as it seems like any TV show I've liked in the past couple years gets canceled pretty quick.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
When I saw the commercials on TV I thought it was realistic and based on some historical events like The Tudors. Now that I've seen this and reading about it I know it's based on those fantasy books I've heard little about.

Either way, I was interested in the commercials and now I'm interested in the show after the preview, looks cool.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
When I saw the commercials on TV I thought it was realistic and based on some historical events like The Tudors. Now that I've seen this and reading about it I know it's based on those fantasy books I've heard little about.

Either way, I was interested in the commercials and now I'm interested in the show after the preview, looks cool.

You really should do yourself a favor and read the books.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
It'll be cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons. The first episode cost $10 million to produce and the entire season budget is only $50 million.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
that would be great.
ever since The Sopranos came to an end, HBO was going seriously down hill. for awhile (until Boardwalk Empire and Treme) the only shows they decided to keep were the crap pop shows like Entourage. I hate Entourage. it's utterly boring and hopelessly shallow. at least they kept the comedy ala Eastbound and Hung.

but there was no good drama.
with Deadwood and Rome they had struck gold and things were really looking up. these shows had so much depth and potential but were shut down due to production costs; this in spite of hugely positive critic and fan reception. in fact, last I heard, fans were still so supportive of Rome that HBO was considering making a feature length film out of it in order to tie up any loose ends.

I wish they would just stick to their laurels and support the kind of truly creative and inventive shows that their network was founded on. you know, Entourage and True Blood and crap like that could easily be shown on network TV albeit some nudity. HBO is supposed to be about pushing the boundaries, not playing it safe.

so.
Game of Thrones.
Boardwalk Empire.
Treme.
hopefully they keep these going for awhile.

Only watched the first season of Big Love so far, but it's a good one in my opinion. Personally I couldn't sit through Treme, and thought Boardwalk Empire was dreck (albeit pretty and expensive dreck).

For what it's worth, Trent Reznor is working with HBO and the creator of Carnivale on an interpretation of his dystopian sci-fi concept album Year Zero.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
So for those of you who read the books, how was it?

I enjoyed it.

My only complaint was that the actress paying Catylin looks a bit old and haggard for the role.

Tyrion, Jamie, and Ned were spot on!

Probably going to watch it again tonight (after the kiddos are good and asleep).

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
Oh my god, a series based on Boromir's back history!

lol

Seriously now, i enjoyed these 15 minutes of preview. I heard about this book while listening to a podcast, looks like it's some quality work. I read about some people comparing him to Tolkien, is that really on that level?