UT Nali Weapons 3 - Preview (Video and Screenshots)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Thanks all. :D

I wish that it's not for Unreal 1...
Well, it's not for Unreal 1, it's for UT1. Although some people already asked a port to UT demo and to Unreal, but I won't make one most likelly.

But you should convert your freeze gun to UT2004. I've been looking around for a good one but no one has made such. :mad:
Well, I don't and won't most likelly do anything for UT2k4. But I thought there were already freeze guns to UT2k4? I remember seeing something like that ages ago, but it was very laggy because of the ice debris.

(Although, I'm glad retail UT did not come with that type of sniperrifle ;-)..)
I am hearing that quite a lot lol, because of the heat zoom view + kill through wall thing.
But truth is that the wall through shot is limited by a configurable wall thickness and 1 wall only, and the heat zoom has a limited configurable range as well, and both of them can be disabled. Plus, NW2X had this kind of sniper already, I just remade it lol :)
I guess the only way people will see exactly what they can pull out and the gameplay of these weapons is when I release them and explain absolutelly everything you can and cannot do with them, something I didn't so far as people don't like to read about something that wasn't released yet.

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Ha, looking good. I been playing TES:Oblivion lately and magic effects for that game look like a filled up cat litter box compared to this.

But my major concern still is ammo consumption. Bots were always running out of ammo right off the bat and chasing eachother with Ihammers. Your bot testing look good so far?

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
But my major concern still is ammo consumption. Bots were always running out of ammo right off the bat and chasing eachother with Ihammers. Your bot testing look good so far?
Yes, that's fixed in NW3. They only use the alt-fire in certain situations and not all the time. Bots testing showed they turned out to impact hammer after some minutes and not "seconds" like in NW2X.

Also overall bot AI in using the weapons are greatly improved and the ammo consuption is configurable as well, so although the grenade is on '5', you could configure it to '3' or '2' or even '1' to be equal to the bullets consumption.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Don't know how the AI can use something complex like the new miner.
But in NW3, they can, trust me ;)
In a botmatch you have to watch your step :)

It's true that the default AI doesn't know what to do with a weapon like that, so I just have to "teach" them.
How? Simple: I use the same concept that Epic used in their PulseGun AltFire mode and Shockrifle combos.

The only things bots understand regarding a weapon is range, shooting and the weapon they should use at that moment.

Bots do not understand by themselves they have to keep the beam constantly on to be effective from the pulsegun, nor how to make a combo with the shockrifle, so what Epic did was simple: these "special" weapons had the "missing AI code" in the weapon itself (and respective projectiles when appliable).

So in NW3, I am doing the same, and therefore bots can now: plant mines without having enemies, the same with cybots, do combos with the shockrifle, smash you against the wall using the Graviton beam, etc, etc
The only thing I didn't teach them so far was seeing the player with the IRPR (at the other side of the wall) or fire the freezer to the water and jump on the small ice bases, and simply because that "kind of AI VS performance" doesn't worth the trouble, and overall botmatches are enjoyable, and so far, quite addicting imo (something I personally didn't get in NW2).

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Wow, they even know how to use the graviton!? Man the thought of that gives me chills. I just love maps with plenty o' bottomless pits and lava, ect.

I was just wondering. How come you never attempted a replacement for the impact hammer?

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
But in NW3, they can, trust me ;)
In a botmatch you have to watch your step :)

It's true that the default AI doesn't know what to do with a weapon like that, so I just have to "teach" them.
How? Simple: I use the same concept that Epic used in their PulseGun AltFire mode and Shockrifle combos.

The only things bots understand regarding a weapon is range, shooting and the weapon they should use at that moment.

Bots do not understand by themselves they have to keep the beam constantly on to be effective from the pulsegun, nor how to make a combo with the shockrifle, so what Epic did was simple: these "special" weapons had the "missing AI code" in the weapon itself (and respective projectiles when appliable).

So in NW3, I am doing the same, and therefore bots can now: plant mines without having enemies, the same with cybots, do combos with the shockrifle, smash you against the wall using the Graviton beam, etc, etc
The only thing I didn't teach them so far was seeing the player with the IRPR (at the other side of the wall) or fire the freezer to the water and jump on the small ice bases, and simply because that "kind of AI VS performance" doesn't worth the trouble, and overall botmatches are enjoyable, and so far, quite addicting imo (something I personally didn't get in NW2).
Wait, so you put instructions on how to use the weapons properly into the actual weapon code?

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Wow, they even know how to use the graviton!? Man the thought of that gives me chills. I just love maps with plenty o' bottomless pits and lava, ect.
Yes, so beware, bots will pick you up and smash you against a wall, or release you in said pits and lava :D

I was just wondering. How come you never attempted a replacement for the impact hammer?
I will do a melee weapon for NW3 to replace it. People will still be able to do "impact jumps" with this new melee (if configured to).

Wait, so you put instructions on how to use the weapons properly into the actual weapon code?
Yes, something like that. Epic did the same with certain weapons, and it works.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I will do a melee weapon for NW3 to replace it. People will still be able to do "impact jumps" with this new melee (if configured to).

Yes, something like that. Epic did the same with certain weapons, and it works.

Coolio. You should totally make a sword type weapon though. I know that ChaosUT had a great sword but it's seriously broken as I proved in a couple of threads.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Coolio. You should totally make a sword type weapon though. I know that ChaosUT had a great sword but it's seriously broken as I proved in a couple of threads.
It won't be a sword, but it will cut in the 1st mode ;)

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Eh? Impact jumps and it cuts? Sounds like it's going to be even more bizarre than the impact hammer.

Well I hope it's not as big of a pain to use like that.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Eh? Impact jumps and it cuts? Sounds like it's going to be even more bizarre than the impact hammer.

Well I hope it's not as big of a pain to use like that.

Maybe it could be a magic jumping sword. :\

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
A bladed weapon you can smash the ground with to go flying. Im totally stumped, lol, what does it look like? I can't picture such a thing.

Or is it still just a concept?

Dozey

The Cleaner of Sunspire, Mapper
If bots will use gravity gun to push you into lava or another killing thing the message of death will be was incinerated or left small crater or smth other and you will lose frag or get +1 point of death score. The best resolution would be something like in ut2k4 that someone push someone into abyss. And this first guy will have frag by killing second guy. You know what I mean ;) my english isn't enough brilliant :D

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
I have a mutator where you get frags for such actions so that's not a problem.

Called Push or something like that.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
@Ghoulz: It's still just a concept, but it's not far from what you're imagining (or at least describing in your post lol).
Basically the first fire would be "fast cuts", and if directed to the face or neck => headshot.
The second would be something like: the more you gather energy on the blades, the bigger will the "energized air cuts" be, when directed to the floor it would be cut but some energy would just come back so you could make the "jump" or simply damage yourself.

The melee will be something like "energy blades". It will be one of the last weapons I will make though, but I already have the whole weapon in my mind.

@Dozey: Well, I thought on that and it happens there's "Who Pushed Me" mutator that does exactly that, and in the NW3 Graviton I just gave support to that mutator. So if you want it to be "UT2k4 like" in that sense, you will have to use that mutator.

I could make something similar to respond only to the Graviton, but it just doesn't make much sense to me, but if you think it could be fun, I will perhaps add that support to the weapon itself.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Well, I only informed about this at ut99.org and at unrealadmin.org, but these past 2 months I didn't develop nearlly anything, because of a hardware issue (laptop screen not working properlly). But now I got my laptop back with the screen fixed, and ready to develop further and as fast as I can.

So, I will show what's being done now: I am still in the Megaton (because of this laptop issue), but the Megaton is almost finished (doing the actual decoder device now, which should be fast).
So I will post some screenies (as for the Megaton explosion, is the same as the mushroom-like one shown in the Preview 2 video (see first post)):

Here I show that you can now use your 0-9 keys instead to setup time and password for this device, you see the actual hand moving quite naturally to each place and setup the device accordingly. Gave a bit of work to do (animation and coding wise), but I think it should be more realistic and usefull this way:
MegatonShot02.png

As for when you put the actual Megaton on the floor, it will open, arm and reveal itself:
MegatonShot01.png

Last edited:

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
New UltimaProtos (weapon, only skinned, with no fx and no animation whatsoever, therefore I still didn't make the charge up or any effect from the firing sequence, but is going to be a 5 seconds or so charge up with "several stages"):
UltimaP_Scaled.png