The Debate Spin

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
you obama cheerleaders just can't handle the fact that McCain's actually done something for our country

:)

Not much really. He risked his life, but all he accomplished was crashing his plane 5 times and spending 2 years as a POW, 'giving thumbs up' to his comrades as he was 'brutally tortured'.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
----------------------------------
Bush: Listen up!
Bush: G-dub in da house.
Bush: MASON (George Mason appears)

This is your 1776 watcha-ma-call it (Bill of Rights)

Condi: You get an R

Bush: You know what we are gonna do know?

Mason: No

Bush: Un-pimp you la-aws!

*Click*
*RIP* (Bill of Rights is ripped apart and the patriot act appears in its place)

Bush: WE JUST PASSED IT LIKE ITS HOT
Bush: G-DUB. Representing GOP ya!
-----------------------------------
(A play on the VW commercials)(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDYEMV8MgaI)

You sir win this thread.

I think you should substitue 'hot' at the end with 'legal'.

I didn't like that McCain wouldn't engage Obama or look at him. Whatever his reasons I thought it was rude in the least. I'm not a big Obama fan, but I did appreciate that he would look at McCain when addressing him.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Not much really. He risked his life, but all he accomplished was crashing his plane 5 times and spending 2 years as a POW, 'giving thumbs up' to his comrades as he was 'brutally tortured'.

He was a prisoner from 1967 to 1973. Look, you may not like his policies, but belittling what he endured in North Vietnam is disgusting.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
He was a prisoner from 1967 to 1973. Look, you may not like his policies, but belittling what he endured in North Vietnam is disgusting.
It's pretty dumb that he brings it up EVERY DAY in order to stake claims as to his "experience." People don't want to tell him to cut the BS because they don't want to appear to be "disgusting." He's using it as a way to skirt around legitimately answering questions, and this is the guy people want leading our country?

I saw a cartoon earlier that I would post here now but I can't find it. It had McCain trying to do 2+2 on the chalkboard and writing something like "I was a POW during the Vietnam War" as the answer. D:

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
It's pretty dumb that he brings it up EVERY DAY in order to stake claims as to his "experience." People don't want to tell him to cut the BS because they don't want to appear to be "disgusting." He's using it as a way to skirt around legitimately answering questions, and this is the guy people want leading our country?

I saw a cartoon earlier that I would post here now but I can't find it. It had McCain trying to do 2+2 on the chalkboard and writing something like "I was a POW during the Vietnam War" as the answer. D:

Look on page one.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
My problem with the entire debate is that Obama completely failed at being confident. He is a "great speaker" in all of his prepared campaign speeches, but once he had to give answers on the fly and couldn't refer to his prompters, he sounded weak. That is not a good thing for me.

McCain didn't do well because he sounded boring when talking about every single issue. I happen to agree with many of the things he said, however it was a really weak showing.

Overall I think the debate was complete fail. Both candidates would have been better off if McCain hadn't showed up.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

Alright... two separate issues here.

1. Belittling John McCain's captivity and torture - try to justify it any way you like, it's still disgusting.
2. John McCain bringing it up to "stake claims as to his experience" and to "skirt around legitimately answering questions"

Putting 1 aside, I tend to think that his detractors bring it up FAR more than does he. But I'm open minded about it, so I'd like to see a bunch of quotes from John McCain bringing up his captivity as cover for other issues. Look for full context.

It seems to me more of a tactic used by opponents to cover for their own guy's lack of experience or inability to give a straight answer.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
He is a "great speaker" in all of his prepared campaign speeches, but once he had to give answers on the fly and couldn't refer to his prompters, he sounded weak.

Are you tone deaf? He spoke clearly and concisely, addressing issues as a whole and their extenuating circumstances. You know, so it looked as though he actually had the big picture in mind and was aware of the angles.
When making strong accusations as to where McCain and his record have failed he took the fight right to John, looking him squarely in the eye.

All the guy could do was smile and look at the podium while retreating in his mind. The only thing he could come up with each time to rebuttal was "He obviously doesn't understand" despite Barack's evident grasp of the matter and those which it encompasses. Then he just went straight to the talking points.

I happen to agree with many of the things he said, however it was a really weak showing.

What did you agree on? He didn't actually say much of anything. No specifics in regards to handling the issues.
He stated the obvious a bunch of times, that's easy to agree with. Like hey, the economy sucks, our world standing sucks. Yet he's saying this after trying to plug away at his voting base with the "fundamentals are strong" bullcrap. Even that he found a way to try and spin in order to protect criticism of a blatant error on his part in comprehending our economic situation.

I'm sorry but Obama was the only one who gained from this debate in appealing to both his own party (which is like, the easy part) and the independents.
McCain only slightly aroused his own party's cock, sort of like stiring their lemonade with one of those little mini cocktail umbrellas.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
This is a stupid and pointless debate unless you guys are going to be more specific. For example, say "I think my guy did better with this answer because he said this (insert political hot air here) and your guy said this (insert spin)"

Just making broad generalizations is going to result in each side being content that their guy said enough and the other side didn't say anything.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Are you tone deaf? He spoke clearly and concisely, addressing issues as a whole and their extenuating circumstances. You know, so it looked as though he actually had the big picture in mind and was aware of the angles.
When making strong accusations as to where McCain and his record have failed he took the fight right to John, looking him squarely in the eye.

All the guy could do was smile and look at the podium while retreating in his mind. The only thing he could come up with each time to rebuttal was "He obviously doesn't understand" despite Barack's evident grasp of the matter and those which it encompasses. Then he just went straight to the talking points.
I'm not tone deaf, but apparently you are. Just because he looked someone squarely in the eye tells me nothing other than he feels comfortable. That doesn't tell me how confident or sure of himself he is. The tone of his voice said everything, He was not on familiar footing.

The way he presented his points and the way he answered the questions was just not good. He had none of the confident air and spirit that he carries on the campaign trail, and that is really concerning.
What did you agree on? He didn't actually say much of anything. No specifics in regards to handling the issues.
He stated the obvious a bunch of times, that's easy to agree with. Like hey, the economy sucks, our world standing sucks. Yet he's saying this after trying to plug away at his voting base with the "fundamentals are strong" bullcrap. Even that he found a way to try and spin in order to protect criticism of a blatant error on his part in comprehending our economic situation.

I'm sorry but Obama was the only one who gained from this debate in appealing to both his own party (which is like, the easy part) and the independents.
McCain only slightly aroused his own party's cock, sort of like stiring their lemonade with one of those little mini cocktail umbrellas.
Both of them blew a lot of political hot air. There was no winner.

I'm not going to go into details because I don't have any interest in having my points picked apart. Needless to say, neither of them said anything that interested me or made me want to vote for them more.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Alright... two separate issues here.

1. Belittling John McCain's captivity and torture - try to justify it any way you like, it's still disgusting.
2. John McCain bringing it up to "stake claims as to his experience" and to "skirt around legitimately answering questions"

Putting 1 aside, I tend to think that his detractors bring it up FAR more than does he. But I'm open minded about it, so I'd like to see a bunch of quotes from John McCain bringing up his captivity as cover for other issues. Look for full context.

It seems to me more of a tactic used by opponents to cover for their own guy's lack of experience or inability to give a straight answer.

1 & 2. I absolutely respect McCain for his service and I am amazed by what he survived. I would never joke about it or disrespect his service in any way. His and his team's use of his service for political gain however is fair-game.

III. As follows...

Did John McCain cheat by cribbing questions in advance at the rightwing megachurch forum Saturday night?

McCain operative Nicole Wallace vehemently denied claims that McCain heard Barack Obama being questioned, even though McCain was not sequestered in a “cone of silence,” as Rick Warren, the multimillionaire evangelist and moderator of the forum, had asserted to the live audience.

What’s bizarre here is that Wallace cited McCain’s status as POW 40 years ago as evidence that he did not cheat Saturday night:

“The insinuation from the Obama campaign that John McCain, a former prisoner of war, cheated is outrageous,” Ms. Wallace said.

source

Note how McCain brings his war experience into the abortion debate. (from 2000)
Side note: Interesting position he had on abortion considering the position of his current running mate.

McCain "operative" plays the POW card. (Video link)

In response to a Christian PAC criticism of McCain for comments he made at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally where he "encouraged his wife, Cindy, to compete in the Miss Buffalo Chip contest there—a topless beauty pageant."

In response to Caldwell and Vanderslice (Christian PAC), McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said, “These smears on John McCain’s character and faith expose the utter hypocrisy of Barack Obama’s claim to represent a new kind of politics. It’s disgraceful.” He went on to say that Americans “know that John McCain’s faith and character were tested and forged in ways few can fathom.”
source

Now we all know that McCain was joking about his wife participating in the contest, and it really should have been a non-issue, but (right and left) PAC's (Political Action Committee) take whatever scraps they can and blow them way out of proportion. McCain's operatives should have simply explained that it was an innocent joke and a silly thing to try to make political hay with, but rather than do that, his operatives played the POW card.

JAY LENO: “For a million dollars, how many houses do you have?”

SEN. McCAIN: “Could I just mention to you, Jay, that, at a moment of seriousness. I spent five-and-a-half years in a prison cell,” McCain said. “I didn’t have a house. I didn’t have a kitchen table. I didn’t have a table. I didn’t have a chair. And I didn’t spend those five-and-a-half years because, not because I wanted to get a house when I got out.”
source.

Edit: A nice little article on the subject. CAUTION: Contains propaganda from that filthy, commie pink-o rag - The New York Times

Last edited:

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Do you all really think somebody who has spent 5 and half years in a prison cell is really someone you want to run your country? He's got a huge chip on his shoulder because of it, and I think he could misdirect his anger on any given country so long as there's a monetary catalyst to push him to it. The guy's got anger issues and it's apparent. I'd be bitter and psychotic if I were him too, but that's really not the kind of person you'd want to be president - and for the record, I'm not a fan of Obama either so don't bother flaming me or affiliating me with any of your petty political name brands.

Plus, any f*cking moron can join the military and demand respect just because you served. Most of the people that join the military are people that don't have a god damn clue about how to get their **** together after high school and be a responsible adult.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
McCain did not mention his time as a POW in the debate Friday nght, so why is it brought up here?

Do you all really think somebody who has spent 5 and half years in a prison cell is really someone you want to run your country? He's got a huge chip on his shoulder because of it, and I think he could misdirect his anger on any given country so long as there's a monetary catalyst to push him to it. The guy's got anger issues and it's apparent. I'd be bitter and psychotic if I were him too, but that's really not the kind of person you'd want to be president - and for the record, I'm not a fan of Obama either so don't bother flaming me or affiliating me with any of your petty political name brands.

Plus, any f*cking moron can join the military and demand respect just because you served. Most of the people that join the military are people that don't have a god damn clue about how to get their **** together after high school and be a responsible adult.
You were doing so well in the first paragraph. You made what I consider a good argument (although I disagree with your sentiment). But I take serious issue with your second paragraph. While it may be true that "any f*cking moron can join the military," I doubt that most who join do so because they "don't have a god damn clue about how to get their **** together after high school and be a responsible adult." Many who join as enlisted do so to get college assistance, but with the commissioned officers, of which John McCain was, you need to already have a college education. As for McCain, his family is filled with proud military service, so it was rather incumbent upon him to serve as well.