Apple don't really test their stuff?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Wait, what? (scroll down to "Turf Wars")
Another challenge is that the engineers who test the newest software versions often don’t get their hands on the latest iPhones until the same time that they arrive with customers, resulting in updates that may not get tested as much on the latest handsets. Cook has clamped down on the use of unreleased iPhones and only senior managers are allowed access to the products without special permission, two people said.
In other words, people not just buy overpriced mobile phones, they actually buy untested overpriced mobile phones.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Time to wake up, you fucking zombies!

edit:
ima45.jpg

Just look at this shit...

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Time to wake up, you fucking zombies!

edit:
ima45.jpg

Just look at this shit...

That's the Tokyo, Ginza Apple Store. I don't know why people line up for that shit. I went my service provider's kiosk at a Aeon neighborhood mall near my house when I bought a 4S (when new) and nobody was there. No waiting, no question on stock. These are all fucktards, but this needs some explaining.

Japanese love to wait in line for shit, so this isn't just an Apple thing. There is a popcorn shop on Omotesando in Harajuku near my work and for the past year people have waited 3 or more hours in line just to buy fucking popcorn. Then they can tweet about it or post it on Facebook, to be the envy of their friends. The longer the wait the better. They live for that shit.

I've found the sweet spot to be the 6 months of when it becomes unpopular and there is no wait to it closing and going out of business. There is always something new here, so I am in the right cycle time of not having to wait for anything. You could say I live like a king. :cool:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I used an iPhone for three and a half years, starting back in 2009 when they were actually the best thing out there, but man, what a difference a few years makes, huh? The market moved right on by Apple and they didn't see it (or worse, didn't care) until it was too late. They thought, and still do think, they they're the very best thing out there, when really, they only sell on name alone these days. My year-old Galaxy Note 3 is still by far more advanced than the iPhone 6+. Hell, don't take it from me how much Apple is playing catchup, everyone else out there is more than willing to point it out.

5tCt4Jw.jpg

Apple releases a phone in 2014 that only finally lives up to 2012 standards, but STILL does not have user-created widget support (so it ALMOST lives up to 2012 standards.) Meanwhile, the Galaxy Note 4 gets a 2560x1600 screen, faster processor, better S-pen usage... it's mind blowing just how complacent Apple is to feed their brand of crap to people and it's disgusting how they get away with it. In their mantra of "thinner and lighter", they keep forgetting to make the phone BETTER.

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
"Apple don't really test their stuff?"

They also don't make their own stuff. Last time I have seen unboxing of any apple device everything inside that was made by apple was some white paper cover, it had "Made in apple" with fine "printed in canada" text. Everything else was made in china.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
“Android is a crap platform that sells on name alone.”

When I say that, you sense immediately that something is amiss; instinctively, you know that even if the platform doesn’t meet my needs or wants, the problem must be that Android just isn’t for me. Surely the masses of Android users didn’t all purchase their phones for want of average-or-better intelligence—that isn’t mathematically possible. But somehow, flip the statement to refer to Apple and it’s not just plausible but self-evident.

I have an iPhone 4S, released in 2011 and already discontinued, because phones haven’t gotten significantly better since that model. It can text, browse the Web, handle e-mail, and display calendar events just as well as the latest phone for any platform. I don’t give a fuck about voice recognition features or emoji. I haven't printed anything in years. I have no interest in using my phone to monitor my health.

We hit a plateau with phones years ago. Every “innovation” since then has been, to my mind, worthless. We’ve been spinning our wheels, churning out trivial updates for the sake of money and status without really improving anything. Next time you call an iPhone owner a “sheep”, look at your own device. How much did you pay for it? Does it honestly do anything better than the phone you had before, or is it just the latest thing for the sake of being the latest thing?

Meh.

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Bigger screen that I wanted for two years before Apple so graciously "allowed" its users to have. Widgets that iPhone users still don't have. Features from 2009 Apple is only doing in 2014. Customizable in nearly every regard as to default keyboard, web browser,m email client vs Apple's "You get this and that's it because we said so" approach. Even basic tools like ES File Explorer which lets me browse the directory of my pwn phone like one would a computer. I don't need iTunes, I can just drag and drop files to transfer. Yes, the phone I have now is worlds better than the one I had and I would sooner do without any device than EVER use an iPhone again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
“Android is a crap platform that sells on name alone.”

When I say that, you sense immediately that something is amiss; instinctively, you know that even if the platform doesn’t meet my needs or wants, the problem must be that Android just isn’t for me. Surely the masses of Android users didn’t all purchase their phones for want of average-or-better intelligence—that isn’t mathematically possible. But somehow, flip the statement to refer to Apple and it’s not just plausible but self-evident.

I have an iPhone 4S, released in 2011 and already discontinued, because phones haven’t gotten significantly better since that model. It can text, browse the Web, handle e-mail, and display calendar events just as well as the latest phone for any platform. I don’t give a fuck about voice recognition features or emoji. I haven't printed anything in years. I have no interest in using my phone to monitor my health.

We hit a plateau with phones years ago. Every “innovation” since then has been, to my mind, worthless. We’ve been spinning our wheels, churning out trivial updates for the sake of money and status without really improving anything. Next time you call an iPhone owner a “sheep”, look at your own device. How much did you pay for it? Does it honestly do anything better than the phone you had before, or is it just the latest thing for the sake of being the latest thing?

Meh.

By this logic, desktop computers also peaked many years ago.

Innovation isn't always so apparent. Higher density displays, CPU/GPU speed and feature advancements, software innovations - if you use them or not is irrelevant to their being developed; someone uses them - as well as weight and size changes; I would say that in many areas innovation warrants a new product.

Now, how many new products and at what point should a new feature be rolled out....now you have an argument. That they are updated and released all too often (Samsung) is an issue. I think Apple have a far more environmentally sound strategy in this regard. These devices are dirty to make (Who cares? It's in China! = lame) and companies like Samsung put them out weekly it seems with only small variation; this is nuts and as I said, irresponsible corporate behavior.

Also, we shouldn't blame people for their idiocy. Our education and market systems are to blame for people getting dumber. We are essentially trained to consume from birth.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
By this logic, desktop computers also peaked many years ago.

I said plateaued, not peaked. Otherwise, yes.

Technology follows a pattern of punctuated equilibrium. We develop a raw capability in the form of processing speed, but that power doesn't have any significant impact on the lives of people until a use is found for it. And when we can't yet make meaningful progress, we fuck around with trivialities while in search of the next step.

Higher-density displays were an advancement in that human eyes can make finer distinctions than 72ppi, so phones and laptops got legitimately better. Nobody is going to look back and say that we should have left it at 72ppi. This other shit like Siri, though—fuck all that. It might eventually lead to something, but for now, it's worthless.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Still have to take exception, but not in the name of Apple, just with your reasoning.

Higher density displays have advanced, we can agree on that then.

"Plateaued" implies times of non-innovation and I guess we need to make some parameters clear. As each iteration of a phone brings forward new or different features, I would call that advancement. They don't bang rocks together and pull these ideas out of a hat; they collect data and try to implement the next thing. While that might be useless regarding your interactions with the device, others like it, want it and will pay for it.

Now, your value judgement regarding Siri, et. al is just that; an opinion. Software development has been charging along, of most interest to me has been the Unreal Engine stuff. That level of performance - or even capability - hasn't been around long and this is a good example of the development of software and hardware, my second point.

I would consider innovation to also be in the power-saving, features, power, speed and general development of the hardware to be a fine example of progress, if not total innovation. But these things - CPU, GPU - the steps are always incremental, so if you are expecting some quantum leap, then you might be disappointed but you can't claim inactivity, stagnation or "plateauing".

Last edited: