Battle-Field 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
I can't use ESDF or my extra mouse buttons since keybinding is broken. For a game that, again, claimed extra special attention to the PC version, I can't believe something so fundamental does not work by this stage in development. It boggles my mind. Why even include the option if you can't use it?

Otherwise, I'm getting the hang of it. Battlefield has been the only FPS where I consistantly have a KDR that is less than one. I'm always dying more than I'm killing. Sometimes it's careless spwans on teammates but usually I just don't see where these people are shooting from until I'm dead. It's frustrating, but as I learn the map it gets better. Still, those people that consistently top the scoreboard with a 3:1 KDR and are planting/defusing bombs, leave me flabbergasted.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Heh so apparently if discussions are to be believed, the ultra settings in the beta do not include the high rez textures, tesselation, etc that would make it "ultra". Those who are running it may or may not be in for disappointment.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Can't even get the installer to work for me so far. :(

BC2 Version 2 for me. I will pass

I keep hearing this. What does that even mean?
The only difference I can see at a glance is you don't have a "commander" that was a bit of a weird feature in the first place. The squad based mechanic in BC2 worked really well.

Maybe there is something else? I didn't think the terrain was destructable in BF3 which is what shouts BC2 to me aside from the "humour" aspect of it.

Last edited:
I can't use ESDF or my extra mouse buttons since keybinding is broken. For a game that, again, claimed extra special attention to the PC version, I can't believe something so fundamental does not work by this stage in development. It boggles my mind. Why even include the option if you can't use it?

Otherwise, I'm getting the hang of it. Battlefield has been the only FPS where I consistantly have a KDR that is less than one. I'm always dying more than I'm killing. Sometimes it's careless spwans on teammates but usually I just don't see where these people are shooting from until I'm dead. It's frustrating, but as I learn the map it gets better. Still, those people that consistently top the scoreboard with a 3:1 KDR and are planting/defusing bombs, leave me flabbergasted.

Just hang with the BU crowd. We are 87.95% of the time, the top players in the server.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
BC2 Version 2 for me. I will pass

Not really. It is BC2 without the good bits and like twice as much camping. Also the whole web app thing is pathetic. You need to be ingame and SPAWNED to change your settings (hf getting killed) and every time you have to wait ages for the game to start again when you switch servers or it crashed again.

Oh, and the Metro map is horrible aswell. You can't flak, it's just a giant chokepoint where everyone camps.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I remember claiming this looked just like BC2 and getting chewed out for it. Lo and behold, it's almost identical to BC2.

After about two hours of playing this is my initial feelings.
The good:
-The guns I've used so far have a decent amount of recoil and plenty of damage drop off with distance.
-I have a health bar (well... percentage)
-Everyone is noobs right now so it's a big fat rape party for people like us that come from Q3/UT backgrounds and know how to aim with a mouse
-Good graphics and cinematic sound
-Squads work even better now
-Option to accept/deny revivals

The bad:
-Crap netcode (same as BC2)
-Same sluggish and clunky controls (feels just like BC2)
-Pubs will suck once everyone gets better and you don't have friends in your squad squad
-Running into a lone enemy when all of a sudden his three squad members pop up next to him
-I still can't hear shit half of the time because of how saturated the sound is
-I can't even explain how much I hate using my web browser as a game menu
-It's BC2 with new levels

The rest is hopefully beta issues. I occasionally get my screen flickering green. It uses twice as much resources as BC2 and definitely doesn't run any better. It's also not that much better looking. Minimizing works great half of the time, the other half it just crashes. The game also crashed for me a few times at random. Again, hopefully just beta issues.

So yeah, right now it's fun because it's fresh, new and chaotic. But it's definitely not a buy for me. It'll get old and frustrating like BC2 after a few months time. Maybe I'll grab it some time when it's <$30.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Maybe that's why I'm satisfied with Having Gears 3, Skyrim, and Rage to hold me over till next year.

The good
-Lighting
-Visuals
-Pew pew
-Customization

The bad
-Less destruction
-Linear level design
-Buggy as all fuck
-Odd texture loading/popping
-Level balance and flanking options
-ONLY RUSH MODE
-No MG3.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
-Linear level design
I kinda like the linear feel. It felt like payload in TF2 or Assault in UT. It's open but still really only two or three ways to approach each objective. Hopefully the vehicular levels will be more open and true to the original battlefield levels for the people who like that more.
-Buggy as all fuck
You mean funny as fuck. At one point I was swimming through terrain at the first objective and it definitely wasn't my connection timing out. :lol: The physics are hilarious too. I can't tell you how often I see anything that's free to get pushed from explosions start bouncing, bobbing or floating around.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I
Maybe that's why I'm satisfied with Having Gears 3, Skyrim, and Rage to hold me over till next year.

The good
-Lighting
-Visuals
-Pew pew
-Customization

The bad
-Less destruction
-Linear level design
-Buggy as all fuck
-Odd texture loading/popping
-Level balance and flanking options
-ONLY RUSH MODE
-No MG3.

I love that you are writing off the game and the only cons (aside from buggy) are the particular map. Sign on the locked servers running conquest and 64 people for what the game is REALLY about

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I keep hearing this. What does that even mean?
The only difference I can see at a glance is you don't have a "commander" that was a bit of a weird feature in the first place. The squad based mechanic in BC2 worked really well.

Maybe there is something else? I didn't think the terrain was destructable in BF3 which is what shouts BC2 to me aside from the "humour" aspect of it.

It means the gameplay is identical to BC2 only a lot prettier to look at. As I said I will pass, or at least wait for it to drop to half price or something

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
Just hang with the BU crowd. We are 87.95% of the time, the top players in the server.

Teammates do play a huge factor in whether or not I do well. If we're getting pushed back and raped, I'm just as useless. If we're doing well and doing the raping, kills seem to just fall into my lap.

I have one friend via Origin right now. To anyone that is buying/has bought BF3, add me. Should be FlashIV.

BlackFish

ginger synther hipster
May 9, 2004
Oh god. The games looks pretty and everything but my gun keeps glitching away out of existance so I have no gun to use in game. It's like, wtf.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I love that you are writing off the game and the only cons (aside from buggy) are the particular map. Sign on the locked servers running conquest and 64 people for what the game is REALLY about

Sorry, but that was my limited, and skewed console impression. I now move on to the bigger, badder, better PC version.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Redownloaded origin and the game but still can't install. Apparently the installer has a touchup.exe that stops working....
It means the gameplay is identical to BC2 only a lot prettier to look at. As I said I will pass, or at least wait for it to drop to half price or something

But how is that different to battlefeild 2 and not an improvement?

No one ever quantifies how being like BC2 is a problem? Battlefeild 2 to my mind was very forgettable and I gave up on it very quickly, whilst BC2 seemed a much more solid product.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Redownloaded origin and the game but still can't install. Apparently the installer has a touchup.exe that stops working....

But how is that different to battlefeild 2 and not an improvement?

No one ever quantifies how being like BC2 is a problem? Battlefeild 2 to my mind was very forgettable and I gave up on it very quickly, whilst BC2 seemed a much more solid product.

A little confusion here so let me clear it up. I never owned BF2 so I couldn't tell you if BC2 is an improvement over it or not. I tried both the Alpha and just last night the beta of BF3. Gameplay feels similar right down to the classes and squad system. The hit detection is just as shit as BC2's is. I never said the game itself was bad and I quite like BC2 despite the stupid shit that goes on. Therefore BF3 to me is BC2 v.2 with prettier shiny stuff.

Last edited: