UE3 - UDK Model import/ materials question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bradish

Mar 9, 2010
Hi there, so Im building an old dilapitated house on a hill and I would like to import it to unreal with multiple shaders on it. I have bricks on the walls and a roof with shingles on it. So far as I can see, you can only import a model and apply one material to it which seems really strange to me. Is there any way of assigning the materials I want to different faces of my model in unreal ed? Or do I really have to separate my model into different pieces for each texture that Im using?

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
You can have multiple materials on one mesh. If you use different materials in your 3d program mutliple material slots will be created in UDK. You can then assign your materials to those.

bradish

Mar 9, 2010
wicked cool, thanks!
I did a search for "material slot" tutorials and found it all. Turns out I just needed to use ActorX's axmesh plugin. I was using Collada before, which was messing up my mesh and not exporting the material slots.