Joe 'DrSin' Wilcox Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Flak has come up with a fantastic interview with Epic Games' Joe Wilcox at Unreal Tournament Forever. There is a lot of candid talk, including a humorous bit about Dr.Sin's sniping, but there's much more, including some real meaty stuff about Unreal Tournament 2007. Unlike other interviews you may have read, we get to some real info that hardcore Unreal Tournament fans want to know. Good job, Flak!

Flak: There has been a lot of talk about the changes in movement and player scale in UT2007. Are there any other games it compares to or will it be something totally new? Are thereany specific changes that set it apart from ut2004?

JW: This is a tough question to answer in words as so much of it comes down to how the game feels. But I think it can best be described as different but better than any of the Unreal Tournaments. I've been a huge UT player since UT99 and I can firmly say that this isn't UT99 and it isn't UT2004. The first few months of development where focused primarily on both movement and scale and I think we have really nailed the result.

As for general game play, the classic game types, DM and CTF remain faithful to their roots. I'd say they both have shifted closer to their UT99 versions thanks to the return of the real impact hammer (yeah! No shieldgun) and no adrenaline. Of course we have made some other changes to them that really up the fun factor but we are keeping those under wraps.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
m&ms said:
I bet they added bunnyhopping.
noooooo please nooooooo

/thinks of the number of BF2 match's spoiled with this....

no matter what anyone says about this game I'm not judging it fully until I have played it. I just hope they don't solely concentrate on vehicle gametypes like on 2004...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The_Head said:
no matter what anyone says about this game I'm not judging it fully until I have played it. I just hope they don't solely concentrate on vehicle gametypes like on 2004...

Honestly, how can you say that? ONS only had, what? nine maps? The weapons aren't at all balanced for vehicles, rendering the vehicles little more than a bigger weapon. DM and CTF had the vast majority of new maps and the entire gameplay system was really geared towards those gametypes.

The ONS gametype was inspired by a third party that also did a lot of the work on it. Almost (if not all) of the maps were contracted out.

You might not like how they implemented the standard gametypes, but to say that they spent more time on ONS would be incorrect.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
to me this interview sounds pretty nice. very much like 'best of ut99 and ut2k4 mixed + new stuff added'.
but how a game feels and how you like it is always a matter of your individual taste so i take it chances are this game will exactly be 'best of ut99 and ut2k4 mixed + new stuff added' but i'll wait and see for myself - even if i can hardly wait at all :D

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
He really did a good job making ut2k4 less susceptible to wallhacks and aimbots too. :sarcasm: I heard ut2k4 is a walk in the park compared to UT99. It's probably not his fault, but I'm under the impression that was supposed to be his specialty.

DrSin is pro-Matrix skin and exploitable .ini settings advocate.

I think Will addresses issues faced by the frequent online multiplayer community more maturely and with less zealotry and closemindedness, which makes Will more likable.

It's still great that he's active in the community and actively participates in online gaming.

But just like any member of an online community that takes sides on controversial issues, he is liked and disliked.

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Err, considering the way that people are talking, I'm assuming I'm the only one that the link just goes "ut4e.com could not be found" for? (from my computer, no matter what browser I use, I can't actually get to ut4e.com at all)

KeithZG

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Alas, quite a lot of time of intermittent trying has still produced no results (I hope I don't have to beg for a copy-paste into here . . .)

KeithZG

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Ah, thankyou Wormbo. Although ironically it seems to work fine now for me, so I don't have to do any of that, but the thought was appreciated (and I wouldn't be surprised if it helped out a few more people down the line who still share the bad luck or whateverthehell the problem is/was).