Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Personally I've never had a big problem with vehicles (I played far more Warfare and VCTF than any other mode in UT3) though I always had a big problem in how they were implemented in UT3. The controls for them were pretty bad and it was too easy to get stuck or knock something. On one map (WAR-Downtown I think) I often kept getting stuck on the open road! Collision has always seemed to be an issue with UT3.

If you expect to get a reaction from me Leo then you are wrong. I shall give you no such pleasure.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I disagree that vehicles should be in every mode. You obviously like them Dark. I do not. It made perfect sense to separate them from other modes. It gave you a choice.
Don't misinterpret my words, I don't think vehicles should be in EVERY game mode. Vehicles in Deathmatch, for example, is pretty silly. (I think Heatray taught us all we need to know on that subject.)

I do think the oldschool, DM-and-CTF-only crowd though need to be reasonable and at least accept that vehicular game modes like VCTF and ONS/WAR are here to stay, though, and that wanting to split the games (like some advocate) isn't a good solution. A lot of players like to think that it doesn't exist or that it SHOULDN'T exist, where the truth is that vehicle game modes are easier to get into, compared to a guy kicking their ass on every DM and CTF map.

That is what I'd wish. Not everyone is going to like VCTF/WAR/Whatever, and that's perfectly fine. But you can't say they "ruin" the game, either. In my opinion that's just silly.

Mar 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC.
I don't care about vehicles since i'm almost always on foot whether playing a vehicular gametype or not.

And I have to agree with Dark Pulse his post was pretty good and long... but still good :p.

I actually don't like to have a new UT every year.. it's better to have a new version after few years and it gives time to people to build up and understand the game especially if they're new to the series... come on most of the UT GOTY players (Nowadays) have started playing 4-5 years after the first release of the game... UT3 is getting new players but not in huge gruops.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
I've never been a fan of vehicles in DM and CTF, and I think their use in some of the newer gametypes are a crutch. The best type of movement system is to allow special individual movements like rocket jumping, skiing, jumpboosts, and translocator/grapple systems.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Personally, I always hated the translocator - it was just a silly excuse for people to ping about all over a map and not actually engage anyone in combat :|

Other than that, the diverse special movement systems are usually a winner. Although UT2004 was somewhat too exaggerated, all the different options made for some pretty interesting different approaches to moving around a map. UT3 still has this, but just not to the same extent, partly also down to the level designs not allowing it so much.

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
Seriously? nobody is interested in what new things is Epic up to?
Don't you have anything better to do than bitch on minor things in UT3?

If they would release something new on PC, yea I'd be very interested. But since they aren't interested in any of that, why should I be? Anyway, if they keep supporting UT3 until next release, I can wait.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I hate to rain on your parade, but if history is a precedent, Epic may have very well done their last update for UT3 with patch 2.1.
What history? :con:

The last patch for UT2004 came out 20 months after the game was released and we've just barely passed that with UT3. There is no reason to think they wouldn't release at least one more patch.

Of course, imo, from Tim's comments it seems like they are intending to continue supporting UT3, particularly for modding.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
What history? :con:

The last patch for UT2004 came out 20 months after the game was released and we've just barely passed that with UT3. There is no reason to think they wouldn't release at least one more patch.

Of course, imo, from Tim's comments it seems like they are intending to continue supporting UT3, particularly for modding.

You just answered your own question

No reason to think that they will release another patch, either. And UT2004 had a hell of a lot more activity going on at that time then UT3 has now.

We'll have to wait & see. But, I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You just answered your own question

No reason to think that they will release another patch, either. And UT2004 had a hell of a lot more activity going on at that time then UT3 has now.

We'll have to wait & see. But, I seriously doubt it.
If we're talking about activity level, though, then Epic didn't really have any reason to release 1.3 or anything past that :)

Desp2/ROG

Mar 5, 2004
Jersey
www.planetunreal.com
I am glad Epic is going to stop this for now.

Epic has way too much talent to be put into further versions of this game. I hope to see some awesome new stuff from Epic. I hope to see some of the vision that the artists have from Epic to be put into a different use.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
If we're talking about activity level, though, then Epic didn't really have any reason to release 1.3 or anything past that :)

That's true, they didn't, other than the game wasn't a year old at the time 1.3 was released.

But, we're now approaching a stage where Epic might be of the mindset that UT3 has run its course & it's time to move on. This did seemingly happen to original UT after Bonus Pack 4 was released in Dec. of 2000 & patch 436 was released in Sept. 2000 three months before. That's part of what I meant by history. But, of course, original UT was a much more feature-filled package ( and still is ) at that time, than UT3 is now.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if you & UnrealGrrl were right & we did get a mega-patch for UT3. It obviously needs it, or else no one would be hopeful of it.

But, I'm a realist, so I'm not banking on it.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
I've never been a fan of vehicles in DM and CTF, and I think their use in some of the newer gametypes are a crutch. The best type of movement system is to allow special individual movements like rocket jumping, skiing, jumpboosts, and translocator/grapple systems.
For some gametypes such as DM I agree, but in gametypes that required the chasing of a flag carrier or some similar activity it is a great tool.

Tactikilla

Jul 26, 2009
UT3 kinda disapointed me. The campaing itself wasn't really Tournament based. I think the campaign setup made the storyline weak. By now, I think we've come to expect our games to have a decent enough campaign, with the multiplayer seperate (Halo, Rainbow Six Vegas, etc...). And that's what I wanted to see, an imersive storyline and stuff like ctf and deathmatch seperate. I also wanted to see aspects from other more successful franchises integrated, like the game film mechanic from Halo, I love going back through a game and saving sick clips, or setting up screen shots and what have you. The Unreal Engine, and the wonderful artists at Epic have created some truly breathtaking maps, characters, what have you to not offer something like that.

Ten years ago, Epic seemed to re-define the shooter. And since then, others have come along and streamlined the process. If anything, I think it shows maturity to take a little here and there to give your consumers something they've shown to already like.

I still play the original UT campaign, because storywise it makes sense. I can't say the same for UT3, because it just feels retarded, all I do with UT3 is instant action. The Sum of All Fears has a better replay value for its campaign.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
They're probably waiting for all the trolls to die so that they can release a new UT without having to hear/read about how the 'old' game was better ... ;)

UT3 was/is a fine game ... it just faced too much competition in a market filled with mp-only games and the community-trolls just were never willing to accept that it had changed.
// ---

UE4 is not console-only.
They're just focussing on consoles first because a simple hardware-target allows one to test just the engine instead of the platform & engine ...
OTOH ... by the time UE4 comes around we probably won't have a pc-games market anyway, so it might as well be ;)

Sorry, but this pretty much summarizes everything that's wrong with the fanboy side of this thread. Not to say that you're all stupid, just overly optimistic and delusioned.

This isn't about "taking a break" from the franchise, and coming back to win us over. Epic has clearly been trending toward console products. Because they can milk them more. Make more profits. They don't need UT or us at this point. If UT comes back ever, at all, it will be in gimmicky console form (and I don't mean that in an insulting way, it's just a different market).

*edit*
Personally, I always hated the translocator - it was just a silly excuse for people to ping about all over a map and not actually engage anyone in combat :|

Other than that, the diverse special movement systems are usually a winner. Although UT2004 was somewhat too exaggerated, all the different options made for some pretty interesting different approaches to moving around a map. UT3 still has this, but just not to the same extent, partly also down to the level designs not allowing it so much.

Also, this. The translocator just inserted flying teleporting monkeys into every map.

Last edited:

SmokeRingHalo

Reigning King of DM/CTF Mapping
Mar 1, 2008
smokeringhalo.unrealmaps.net
You know what I'd love to see come back? XMP. Don't be afraid of something class-based; XMP was fun as hell, and I really hope some of the people who have read this have played it and will happily agree. I think gamers who like the Technical details that are UT wouldn't mind a game mode with slightly complex rules. Another good idea would be a mod I saw for UT and 2kx called "Siege" which centers around building things (such as weapons suppliers) and this really changes how you play the game into less of a "run around and kill the other guy" and more of a "build your stuff in a secret location, protect it with buildings that'll hurt your enemies, blow his buildings up and oh yeah, kill the other guy."

XMP was fantastic! Sucks it was a separate download but well worth it though.
Siege mod was good too, but i always had difficulty finding a decent amount of players for it.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
XMP was fantastic! Sucks it was a separate download but well worth it though.
Siege mod was good too, but i always had difficulty finding a decent amount of players for it.

Agreed on all counts. I think the survivability of the arena-flavored shooter lies in that kind of variety and innovation. Play Section 8, and you'll see a mix of arena-style combat with dynamic objectives. Stuff that can be marketed to both the PC and some of the console crowds.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Huh, now officially UT3 is dying.
I think it's not that bad to have a rest before making another UT.
I don't agree with you guys who think UT3 is fine.
- Both the PS3 and the XBox360 versions are really not as good as a console game supposed to be. FPS+MP are not really popular on console I think.
- EPIC wasted too much attention on the graphic details, bulky details. I don't think UT series should just be an engine showcase for these useless visual stuff. UT is meant to be simple, clean, fast, crazy.
- Not enough interesting game elements. UT1 was all about creative and original crazy ideas. UT3 is actually having less elements than UT1, and what it has now are basically from UT1, except things like hoverboard and warfare.
EPIC is just not brave enough to take the risk to create a whole brand new UT mechanism.
- UT should be all about fun, just fun, but look what we have here, too serious, too "hardcore". We have all the maps on one planet. A boring SP story. Come on, UT is never about serious story.

UT3 is not that bad, and to me it's better than ut2004, but again it failed to be another true UT.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Sorry, but this pretty much summarizes everything that's wrong with the fanboy side of this thread. Not to say that you're all stupid, just overly optimistic and delusioned.
I don't know how you can be overly anything on this topic. Nobody knows what it means or what Epic will do next, if anything. I would say it IS stupid to act like anyone making guesses in this thread is doing anything more than guessing like anyone else. Your post was full of guessing as well, so good job! I could easily apply to opposite of your own logic to your overly pessimistic and delusional post :p

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
For those that have faithless who thinks UT3 is dying, I put this news from a game webpage spanish:

http://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-ver/107157/el-nuevo-unreal-engine-dejara-asombrada-a-la-gente/

Translating exactly the news published and dated at 21 july 2009:

Uno de los momentos más asombrosos de la actual generación se lo debemos a Epic con la irrupción de su poderoso Unreal Engine 3.0, que nos ha dejado títulos de la brillante factura técnica de Gears of War o de Bioshock. Sin embargo esta compañía especializada en la licencia de engines gráficos sigue trabajando, y desde hace meses abordan nuevas actualizaciones para el motor.

“Es un motor muy maduro, y le estamos añadiendo grandes incorporaciones año a año”, ha declarado Mark Rein, uno de los principales responsables de Epic. “He visto algunos materiales increíbles que aparecerán este año o el que viene en forma de incorporaciones para Unreal Engine, y dejarán asombrada a la gente”.

TO ENGLISH:

One of the more amazing moments current generations is due to Epic irruption with its powerful Unreal Engine 3.0, which has left us the Title of brilliant tecnologies games like Gears of War or Bioshock. However, this company specialized in the licensing of graphical engines is still working, and for months to address new updates engine.

Mark Rein says: "Current Engine is a very mature, and we are adding great additions year to year said Mark Rein, a major representative for Epic. I've seen some incredible materials that will come this year or next year in the form of additions to Unreal Engine, and will amaze people".

Back days BU published an similar new and this more recent confirm it, as Sweeney have said; they will not make another new UT simply because his engine ( version 3, 3.XX and soon ) is lont-time in use ( Unreal Engine 4 is away right now and possibly will be or not for consoles). there is a lot room for updating UT3 and what not GOW2. It expect update in editor and stuff.

This is the reason not cancelling any of the MSUC contest and IGDA contest published 3 or 4 days back, amongs others things...If weren't so They wouldn't make declarations like this and contets of this kind...

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I guess I truly love the start of Unreal 1, its you against everything (save the Nali) and use your wits to accomplish a mission with the resources presented to you. There were no vehicles and the game Kicked A$$.
That's the formula that made U1 and UT1 great.
I hope they bring that unreal formula back, whenever that may be.
I'll be waiting...

Erm... saving the Nali was never the goal in Unreal or UT for that matter.

If they would release something new on PC, yea I'd be very interested. But since they aren't interested in any of that, why should I be?
Who said they aren't releasing anything for the PC? The haven't even announced anything.