Have they removed Invasion too?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Steelixx

The SDT clan leader
Nov 4, 2004
C:\UT2004\System
sdtclan.cjb.net
They never mensioned INV but they never said anything about that it wont be in UT2007, i really hope it will because INV is one of my favorite game types. If there will be a INV in UT2007 i hope they will make all new monsters cause i dont wanna see unreal engine 1 monsters in a unreal engine 3 game :) .
They never said anything about the gametype Mutant. Mutant has never been my favorite really i actually only played it once.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
it was also quite shallow, where theres not much tactics beyond some basic deathmatch stuff like pickups etc etc... and you need huge open maps to be able to play invasion properly, and deathmatch maps dont translate well to invasion...
perhaps if they made it more deathmatch-against-the-bots style, where there are less monsters but each one is a fully working bot , then you'd start to feel the pressure... right now invasion is more about crowd control , how to escape a horde of monsters and lots of camping... a better invasion is when you actually have proper combative situations for as long as you can last , against an endless wave of opponents... invasion is about fighting monsters from the unreal singleplayer game and each of them have their different attack styles and weapons and stats and stuff, so you'll need to have different fighting styles and stuff because simply shooting at them should do you as much good as simply shooting a player in deathmatch
and there should be also less monsters so its less spammy, works better in deathmatch levels, works better over the internet, and you actually feel like your fighting something... plus the next unreal tournament will have smaller scale , so it will be terrible if the whole level was flooded with cheap aimbot spammy monsters...

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Yeh, they just murdered the BR, DOM, VCTF & AS gametypes (why?, they were fun although not too many people played them...). I hope they will let us the posibility to make custom maps for these gametypes... :rolleyes:
Don't worry about Invasion, someone will have made the mod 1 month after the release... ;)

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
*eh* perhaps they've renamed it to Defence Alliance 3 ;)
j/k ... but Invasion would look like crap in UE3 if they'd use the same models again. I doubt there's time to create additional monsters, but it certainly would be nice as a bonus. :)

They never 'murdered' anything. Heck we don't even know what additional gametypes will be in UT2k7 for sure. All we got is that DM, CTF, ONS & CNQ are 'confirmed'.

Besides ... given the amount of work needed for the maps/models in this new engine I don't mind them chosing fewer gametypes and spending more time on those parts of the equation. The gametypes we 'miss' can always be modded by anyone willing or perhaps a bonuspack or two. One never knows.

Last edited:

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
I feel as though we realy do have all the gametypes. All the gametypes that have been dropped were simply superflous.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
G.Lecter said:
Yeh, they just murdered the BR, DOM, VCTF & AS gametypes (why?, they were fun although not too many people played them...)

Congratulations, you just answered why they "murdered" those gametypes.

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
Out of all the axed gametypes, INV is the one I'll stand up for.

BR was sorta OK in my book, but very unpopular and too much like CTF.

DDOM was even less popular than DOM.

AS was just a mess in 2k4. Too complicated to succeed, really.

INV, though. AFAIK it's not much more popular than the others, but if one of the goals here is to be n00b- friendly then a co-op gametype seems like a must to me. There aren't any winners or losers necessarily, just people having a good time fighting the monsters... I bet if INV was properly promoted it could do a really good job of growing the online end of the community. INV is one of the best ideas Epic's had lately in that regard, and it seems a shame to waste the opportunity.

UnlitPhoenix

May 15, 2005
titan.fuziondesigns.net
Steelixx said:
Absolutly. INV is the most social gametype in every UT game. No winners No Loosers, co-op and a hell of a lot of fraggin that's what i like :)
I used to like playing invasion, but I found it extremely boring and so many newbs played it (countless times I've had to ignore voice chat from idiots playing music and cussing). The AI was rather pathetic too to be honest, I could always predict what a skaarj would do, even on godlike.
It's ok once in a while, but it shouldn't really be a part of UT in my opinion. UT is a bloodsport type of game. DM, TDM even BR are much more enjoyable than invasion. And BR is still alive, at least in europe ;)

Just my thoughts.

Steelixx

The SDT clan leader
Nov 4, 2004
C:\UT2004\System
sdtclan.cjb.net
Well the AI will be very much better in UT2007 so if they got INV back it would be much better. And u can find newbs in every game type. U cant play any game without newbs. And i dont think INV was a noobiness i actually found many social/pro people playing it. If u are searching for noobs go to Onslaught or iCTF they are the most noob populated game types.

UnlitPhoenix

May 15, 2005
titan.fuziondesigns.net
Well, just so you don't get the wrong idea, I don't play ONS or iCTF, only 1v1 and BR, and sometimes Insta to get my aiming up to par.
I was talking about the AI in UT2004, and hmm, I don't think it could be much different without being totally different.