Mike Capps Admits That Epic Has Been Neglecting Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It wasn't necessarily aimed at you. I agree with what you're saying, but the translator messages did help to keep you going towards something. It made the game feel more like a world.

That's something I have to agree with you, in a while. There was a great immersion in Unreal and it could be done with a modern game too, if they really cared.

Now Deus Ex, that's a game with lots of choices, but then again it is more story telling game with cutscenes and the pace isn't that great until like the last level where is lot of action and you got all the augs anyway so the action isn't that dull and you don't need to wait forever until your pistol aims at something. That said there were lots of dull levels in the game I didn't like, the ship level for example and other of the dull or more linear levels.
Yes I did finish the game about month ago and tried all the ending although my prefered one is the NEW DARK AGE MUHAGAHAHA. Yes, that's what would happen if fate of world was at my hands! That was the only solution..
erm..

Well...it could also be combined, best of both worlds, keep the pace like Unreal, but having more non linear environment and stuff in the game and still not making it like a movie and yet being fresh. That would be something that takes lots of time to make right though, but it sure can be done, nothing's impossible.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I want three new unreal games

1. UT4 (In other words, the final UT3 patch). Being exactly the same as UT3 but with as many bugs as possible squashed, all the latest engine enhancements, a real tournament mode, mapmixer bundled and enabled by default, and all evidence of that godawful UT3 campaign completely erased (That includes editing the level descriptions etc. FUCK that, with a capital F) Chuck in the titan pack and a couple of new maps, with some good remakes from 2k4 and 99 and you've got a winner. (On a personal note, if steam is required I wouldn't touch it)

2. UT (Competitive/Hardcore/How it is supposed to be). Minimalist graphical style (Think HOLP). Simple player models, simple weapon models, simple static meshes or none at all. A competitive shooter does not need a trillion polygons on screen at once. Keep it to the classical unreal tournament arsenal, make a hybrid lightning gun/sniper rifle. Bring back the ripper (With more flat surfaces, this shouldn't be a problem). Despite the power of modern hardware, design to an extremely conservative polygon limit in all assets (Maps, smeshes, player models etc.)
ALL MAPS SHOULD BE LIKE THE HOLP PACKS. Seriously, those maps are the only ones I ever actually found fun to play in UT3; They look good/detailed and play beautifully with barely any polygon usage. THAT is how competitive maps should be made.
NO VEHICLES. Or at least some severe restrictions on how they can be used (by default, modders can do whatever they want). Vehicles are boring/repetitive/uncompetitive. Sure they CAN be fun, but in limited/unfair/unbalanced situations. What this UT is aiming for is a minimalist core game that feels coherrent across all game modes.
Game modes. WE DON'T NEED NEW ONES. Keep it simple with DM/TDM, DOM, CTF(Both Carry and Capture) and maybe RA. (And of course I would eagerly await the announcement and release of JB from the PJB folks :p)
If you keep it to these gametypes alone and follow the low poly count restriction, it should be really easy to pump out a shitload of good maps. I would predict 40 at minimum.

Basically, this is not a new game. This would be an old game and no one would be trying to pretend otherwise. The difference is that this would be an old game refined to absolute perfection, with perfect weapon balance, minimalist yet pleasing modern visuals, a shit ton of maps and that beautiful mix of accessible and hardcore gameplay that made UT so popular in the first place.

Personally I think this is the best chance Unreal has at making a bounce back because it would be so much EASIER than making another UT3 style game with super complicated assets and hyper detailed maps. Keep it simple, stupid. You'll save on production time and in the end I believe you'll have a better, more solid game anyway.

3. Unreal 3. I really don't care what they do with it as long as they do it. The high poly look would be great, but as long as they keep the theme and style of the original unreal. That is to say, the flak cannon should look exactly the same as the unreal flak cannon, but with 1000000x the polygon count. The visual style should be retained whilst upping the polycount heavily.
Also, I think it would be great if again, they just made it an old game and didn't pretend otherwise. So keep the player a mute, force all messages (or most of them) to be read through the translator. Have only basic basic basic voice acting if any at all. Keep it to the "You're lost in a beautiful alien world, work out what to do" premise and develop a plot throughout the game.

Market it as being oldskool and the reviews will acknowledge it as being exactly what it says on the tin rather than complaining about it. I don't see many other companies making oldskool styled shooter games these days. Everyone feels the need to have voice acting, achievements and vehicles etc. The hardcore, minimalistic, classic shooter is an artistic niche that I would love to see filled.

Last edited: