Mike Capps Admits That Epic Has Been Neglecting Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
and UT3 biggest dissapointment i didnt play more than one month
character design are bad visually only disgusting bloom and boring gameplay

That's what happened to me while playing UT2k4, except instead of bloom and there were even more uninspired maps. The mods did the job.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
That's what happened to me while playing UT2k4, except instead of bloom and there were even more uninspired maps. The mods did the job.
you still play the original unreal. if you think anything epic could release would satisfy you, you are even more deluded than leotck.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
So what? I liked the original Unreal and still play it. It's the UC1/UT2k3/UT2k4 saga that threw me off for its flaws.
But really to this point now that people don't have much faith in Epic it's better of not having a new one -.-

You can have your Unreal 3 game which is about the Skaarj war but guess what it will go like your generic FPS sci-fi shooter.
Maybe being a lazyass and clone the whole concept of the first game.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Since I liked every Unreal game, I'm pretty sure I will like the next Unreal game, whatever it might be.

And no, there weren't that many retcons, and most of them can be explained. There is still a solid framework there. We know things like how space travel works, we have Tarydium, we have mega corporations, we have NEG, we have Skaarj. We even have the Drakk and Izarians. And there are a lot of ideas from Unreal II that could finally come true. It won't be just your ordinary sci-fi title if it keeps continuity, something that is not too hard to do at this point, and will give the series a lot more background to go on.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
They should do a UT3.5, like 2004 was the 'fix' to 2003.
The artwork is still great. Just needs more content and maps.
Just update it to UDK and have an auto updater that updates the engine every month.
Valve does that with it's games and it really helps keeping the game feeling up to date.

MeanyMortal

They call me Berjj
Oct 2, 2004
Sweden
Personally I'd love a sequel that focused on exploration like the first Unreal did. The sluggish movement and much too restricted levels in Unreal 2 didn't do it for me. I would prefer the story, however, to be completely disconnected from those of previous titles while still taking place in the same universe.

A coop mode would be very welcome too though. I had a blast playing coop for Unreal 1 only a couple of years ago.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Screw MP; SP is the way to go.
And as far as the U1 and U2 stuff goes. I prefer an U1 sequel, but I don't hate U2

My feeling as well. U2 was enjoyable for what it was, but it was a lot different formula than the first game. Unfortunately, it was also hamstrung by budget/release constraints as well :\

Single-player game first and foremost. I'd be down with a co-op mode since that seems to be popular, but let's not slap "Hoard"... I mean "Invasion" onto the game and call it co-op. I'd pay $60 for a solid SP/co-op game set on some alien worlds with skaarj and rippers and eightballs.

If they want to go back to UT, they need to go with a lower priced offering. All their main competition sell for under $20 these days, so they can't go with a 40 map game at $60 like they've done in the past. A handful of solid maps, DM, CTF and Domination and put it out on Steam/XBLA for $15. Add vehiklolz as DLC or something if they want.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
TBH I reaaaaallly want them to work on UT3. I don't care if it's been totally discarded at epic HQ, they have a statue of Malcolm and he isn't in the game. They got the formula right for this one but they screwed everything else up, so finish and fix the damn game ffs.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
The Skaarj Wars, and the Necris Wars... (who begun precisely on UT3, with the necris attaking the Earth).

It was not earth...it was a random space colony, and it was never larger than corporate skirmish.

'Striders' were really only mentioned in Unreal 2, and it was used in the same way that every sci-fi series has 'the war'. Think about it. Every single sci-fi futureistic, post-apocalyptic story talks about 'the war', but never mentions anything actually about it. Thus 'Strider War' was simply Unreal 2's 'The War', therefore has no real significance in Unreal lore.

Jazz

Oct 22, 2008
Russia, St. Petersburg
I think everyone who played Unreal 2 would like to pretend that that storyline never happened...
Unreal 2 might have been somewhat mediocre, "not good enough" for original Unreal probably, but it was not bad. It was good looking (I mean the variety of landscape and level design, like the original game), and the story itself is not bad, I'd even say that ending was redeeming. It's a nice expansion of Unreal setting too.

Unreal 2 in fact brought characters and a more detailed story in Unreal, though it was probably a half-assed job. Taking in account all Unreal 2 mistakes could produce a very good game.

The only thing I'll never forgive to Epic is bringing a story in Unreal Tournament 3. I've enjoyed the game itself, but pulling that deus ex trick with "respawners", Jesus...

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Unreal 2 might have been somewhat mediocre, "not good enough" for original Unreal probably, but it was not bad. It was good looking (I mean the variety of landscape and level design, like the original game), and the story itself is not bad, I'd even say that ending was redeeming. It's a nice expansion of Unreal setting too.

Unreal 2 in fact brought characters and a more detailed story in Unreal, though it was probably a half-assed job. Taking in account all Unreal 2 mistakes could produce a very good game.
The story in Unreal 2 was disjointed and probably one of the most unimaginative plotlines to loosely connect very different locales with one-another. And the characters were cheesy cardboard cutouts.
The visuals were positively amazing though. The landscapes, the facilities, the interiors, especially the ship... Certain scripted but playable sequences were really, really cool too. Like the Skaarj on the elevator!? Great stuff.
Iirc, the menu was amazing-looking too. With the cursor that expanded when you moved it. And the sleek HUD with the very thin line for the life-bar...
Most of the weapons too. The pistol felt and looked great, for example. As did the assault rifle. Monsters, special effects...
Of the problems the game had the visuals certainly weren't among them, imo.

Now I want to install it again.:(

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
'Striders' were really only mentioned in Unreal 2, and it was used in the same way that every sci-fi series has 'the war'. Think about it. Every single sci-fi futureistic, post-apocalyptic story talks about 'the war', but never mentions anything actually about it. Thus 'Strider War' was simply Unreal 2's 'The War', therefore has no real significance in Unreal lore.
It would have, if we ever had any canon information on it. Also, Unreal II is definitely not 'post-Apocalyptic'. NEG, corporations, TCA are all well there.

I know Hollywood is doing this to death with franchises that don't need it, but if ever a franchise needed a serious, down to earth REBOOT it's UNREAL.
Uh, no. Nothing needs a reboot. Ever. A reboot is essentially a way to erase people's work. You reboot Star Trek - you erase all the years people have been working on it. You reboot Might and Magic - same thing happens. And it never works, too. Besides, there is not enough content to reboot in Unreal to begin with.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I don't think I would care for any Unreal/UT sequel that Epic would make. The only sequels I really liked were Unreal 2 XMP (which doesn't really count) and UT3 (once the Titan pack was released). I'd rather see Epic make a new game instead of messing with the Unreal universe anymore.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Remember that RTNP and Unreal 2 were made by Legend Entertainment and had limited, if any involvment from Epic Games.

I doubt any game they make now would have much resemblance to the first game. Their games nowadays are "realistic" with monochrome color schemes and stories that are about some war.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
RTNP was made using unused material from Unreal and new stuff. foundry and toxic are CliffyB maps and are pretty good.

U2's opening is like the 64k demos out there, checkem out sometime google it up.

Gears may be winding down, would there be a gears 4? Rumor I heard Gears is an offshoot unreal storyline.

U2 isn't ..bad, but too short of a game but didnt continue the U1, but hints on the UT story. U2 did have EPIC creative input, I guess EPIC got Legend to do it prolly because they were busy on UT.

They are working on the new Uengine and they will have to make a game to show it off, so it makes perfect sense to do an Unreal 3. As far as UT goes, just mold it into U3's MP content, like you actually make 2 games into 1.

Theres a thread on the EPIC site that delves on U3 also user created, so people talk about wanting a U3. Well, Mike Capps commenting probably helps set a stir to get a U3 going. Personally, I would love to see as many of the original Unreal guys helping on the project including the music guy. Point about that is the creative meld that made unreal work. Putting those minds on it would help.

Probably the UT3's storyline is stuck needing a sequal so it makes sense to make like a UT3.5.