Major UT3 Update Details

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I feel this way too, but what I've noticed is that I "pull" my shots a lot and that doesn't seem to work in UT3 like it did in the 2kX series (and it also doesn't work in UT, as a point of reference).

What I mean is, I tend to aim next to a person and then move across them as I fire with hitscan. In UT200X this would almost always result in a hit, but in UT3 this results in either what looks like a hit but is really a miss or just completely goes to one side of them.

I don't know if that is what is happening to you, but that is what is happening to me, and it sounds like the same problem.
It's the same for me, the game doesn't seem to like people using movement aiming. :/

When I'm coming from a game of l4d or Quack3, the mouse movement and aim in ut3 feels so bad. Something feels really off about the whole input system.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Then its not just me... hooray. I sucked long range before, this one kills me on some of the wide open levels

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Also I don't think I've found any mention about an anti-cheat.
UT is born to be a competitive game, not having a proper anticheat it's Spartan madness.

Thats one of the main reasons im happy theyre moving towards Steam integration.
Ive played alot TF2 and L4D and this far i havent heard ONE "Cheater" in the chat.
I have "show only VAC servers" enabled.

Valve is relentless when it comes to their AntiCheat support.
You can read more of how they work Here and Here.

Valve uses "delayed bans" which can annoy some people but i think its great. I can accept that i meet some cheaters if i know theyll ban tons of them a week later ;)

Last edited:

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
both true for me.
i always sit up straight whenever i see that bit of blue/red but i think it's pretty nice to see that i'm really carrying that flag :lol:

I say they should put a dupe of the flag model in the corner of the screen somewhere and have it animate & pulsate...probably should put some semi-transparent aqua or gold techo looking shader on it so people aren't distracted by any team colors.

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
You're an idiot.

Name one game that was perfect the day it was released. I personally can't think of any. Every game needs updates, patches and bonus packs to get it to where it "should" be.

Super mario brothers
Super mario brothers 3
chronotrigger
skate or die 2
Metal Slug X
Zelda
pacman
double dragon
bad duges
ninja gaiden 2
chrono cross
Gunstar Heroes
Street Fighter Alpha
Garou: Mark of the wolves (king of fighters)
Killer Instinct

... ok maybe they weren't perfect but they were a hell of a lot better off than UT3

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Super mario brothers
Super mario brothers 3
chronotrigger
skate or die 2
Metal Slug X
Zelda
pacman
double dragon
bad duges
ninja gaiden 2
chrono cross
Gunstar Heroes
Street Fighter Alpha
Killer Instinct

... ok maybe they weren't perfect but they were a hell of a lot better off than UT3
Actually, I can't look at that list and see one game that would not have benefited from patching.

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
there is still one thing that has always bothered me about UT3 which I cannot put my finger on - the aim. I can't figure it out. I don't think it's a matter of adjusting because I put in alot of time. It could be some ini tweak which I never found (altho I tried many).

The aim in UT3 just seemed so... imprecise. I mean even after all this time, I can still play UT2K4 and my aim is WAY better than I could ever get it on UT3. Can't figure it out and with every patch release info, I keep looking for a reason or a fix which explains the frustrations I've had. One of those things you can't really point to.

I kind of agree with sir brizz but I also want to add:
say what you will about the scale of things in ut2k3/4 but there was a "visual clarity" to that game and ut3 is the complete opposite. I have trouble hitting what I can see (as clearly as I could see opponents in UT2k4/Q3A)

Also, framerate. In the early days of quake3 I sukkked. Over the years as I upgraded my machines I got better and better as my framerate got higher (this has nothing to do with "practice/experience"). It was the same with UT2k3/4. My system plays Crysis, Warhead, COD4, F.E.A.R 2 Demo and other games much better than it plays UT3.

The actual FPS reading might be higher in UT3 but all the other games just feel smoother. Due to lack of "smoothness" I play NONE of the maps that shipped with the game(except 2). But I have fun and perform quite well (against bots) on the HOLP maps and various other community made maps that give consistent 50-90+fps (some while still being as visually impressive as the stock maps)

What I mean is, I tend to aim next to a person and then move across them as I fire with hitscan.
Does anyone play like that with their ps3/360 game pad?

Speaking of which... I'm sure 70% of the people in this forum have pc's more than powerful enough to render 4 player split screen multiplayer. Why can't pc game devs realize there are millions of households with more than 1 gamer who can only afford/convince their family to buy 1 PC !?!?! (I'm pointing at you Blizzard(with my middle finger no less))

200701311418.jpg

can you see it?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I kind of agree with sir brizz but I also want to add:
say what you will about the scale of things in ut2k3/4 but there was a "visual clarity" to that game and ut3 is the complete opposite. I have trouble hitting what I can see (as clearly as I could see opponents in UT2k4/Q3A)
I should note that this got "worse" with 2k4 as well, so it's probably a netcode issue and may be solved with the netcode enhancements.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Super mario brothers
Super mario brothers 3
chronotrigger
skate or die 2
Metal Slug X
Zelda
pacman
double dragon
bad duges
ninja gaiden 2
chrono cross
Gunstar Heroes
Street Fighter Alpha
Killer Instinct

Killer Instinct was patched at least 3 times, so there goes that one. And most of those games could've used some improvements, as Brizz said.

Comparing them to a FPS is utterly stupid anyway though.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
list

SFA? :) seriously?
Double dragon, bad dudes, Gunstar Heroes and Garou all have their fair share of bugs and glitches. SFA is just a glitchfest.
Most software will be released with some bugs. Inevitable. There's nothing to argue about here.

outposted! damn you.
Comparing them to a FPS is utterly stupid anyway though.
this.

Maximus2003

Mar 25, 2003
South Africa
It's obvious that a lot of man hours went into the next patch so far and I thank Epic for that. I really hope that all the fixes and the next bonus pack helps to increase the number of online players and I think going with the Steam rewards system was a good idea.

I've been a UT freak since UT99 was released and if Epic keeps plugging away at making UT3 better then that makes me a very happy customer.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
It's the same for me, the game doesn't seem to like people using movement aiming. :/

When I'm coming from a game of l4d or Quack3, the mouse movement and aim in ut3 feels so bad. Something feels really off about the whole input system.

This is why i suck with the flak imo. I'm pretty good at all the unreal games. I can hit anything with any gun in any unreal game with no problems really. But in ut3, the weapons just feel useless and i believe that it is caused by the crappy input system along with the 20% surcharge applied to the gamespeed by default. Bots at lower skill levels thinking 20% fater then they should be thinking and reacting 20% faster then they should be reacting cause me to feel as if i suck when i can't hit them at all but every shot they fire hits me. I also notice that i am substantially better with the flak cannon if i change the gamespeed from 120% to 100%.

That's a fix i'd like to see, not changing the gamespeed per se, because that feels just fine. But changing how the bots operate at 120% gamespeed would help me a lot.

Last edited:
I sense a "Fail to Patch" incoming, followed by a "blame Midway (or lack thereof)" excuse. :D

If even half of this stuff makes it to my install directory it just proves that the whining was all worth it. I mean look at that list. It's not a patch, it's a year or more of game development that should have been done prior to release.

..hey, only about 2 months 'til April Fools. :lol:

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
I feel this way too, but what I've noticed is that I "pull" my shots a lot and that doesn't seem to work in UT3 like it did in the 2kX series (and it also doesn't work in UT, as a point of reference).

What I mean is, I tend to aim next to a person and then move across them as I fire with hitscan. In UT200X this would almost always result in a hit, but in UT3 this results in either what looks like a hit but is really a miss or just completely goes to one side of them.

I don't know if that is what is happening to you, but that is what is happening to me, and it sounds like the same problem.

Just an idea, I think that UT3 has smaller hitboxes than UT2004.
In UT2004 a shot at like 50cm from the body would register, while in UT3 you have to actually hit the target.