Making good graphics in the editor is easier than you think

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
It's amazing what can be done with UEd in such a short amount of time... I just made a simple scene with some water and some foliage and UEd did the rest. Everyone should give stuff like this a try: speedtree and terrain decolayers did pretty much all the work. This really is an awesome tool. I didn't even need photoshop...

[SCREENSHOT]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/272/shot1ga7.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7237/shot2ub4.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4473/shot3fw9.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

raziel31

Nov 25, 2003
South F.
Visit site
The UEngine is really nice but you cant compare it with Crysis man...You cant compare an Engine with precalculated lighting and the Crytek one with realtime lighting. Hope you understand the differences. :)

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
Damn, way to repopulate the crysis vs. UE3 threads after the crash! Can't we just complement the guy for his awesome looking work and be done with it? It DOES look beautiful

Crysis's engine goes for realism, while UT3's goes for bloom. Different art styles, different results.
Bloom? Bloom, my friend, is not an art style. I believe the word you are looking for is Impressionism. i.e. the art movement.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Oh it definitely beats Crysis if you are talking about hyperrealism ... there is no other engine around that can beat Unreal when it comes to hyperrealisn. Now if on the other hand you are going for photorealism and you are not talking about vehicles, interiors of buildings, large ships, huts, all the little things that bring a frame to life then yeah Crysis has no equal. But lets be honest that is just the jungle and the water and maybe the models (although for realism the Source HL2 models are actually more life like especially in HL2:EP2) that Crysis excels at.

Vehicles are crappy ... there are many games that have better looking vehicles ... Halo 3 has much better looking vehicles than Crysis, CoD4, UT3, Gears all have better looking vehicles.

And the interiors are really crappy ... like in the trailers .. man look compare that with the interiors in Gears of War ... there is none ... the furniture in Gears looks much more real and solid, the scattered papers, the stuff like Pianos, etc. all this blows Crysis away. And the buildings themselves ... once again UT3, Mass Effect, Gears, and Bioshock and R6V even all have better buildings.

So Crysis has more photo realistic trees and foliage and water (maybe on this ... I am not convinced ... the water in Bioshock was amazing) okay fine ... but overall when you consider EVERYTHING Gears of War beats it hands down and UT3 is not far behind. I am surprised I even have to say this on a Unreal site ... Crysis is meh? It is boring compared to Gears and does not run nearly as smoothly at max settings as Gears does on Max settings (especially on the 360) and also Crysis doesn't really add anything new ... not like Gears with the Roadie run, Active reload, a better cinematic experience, advanced cover system. So if I had to choose I would take Gears and UT3 over Crysis anyday of the week.

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
Vehicles are crappy ... there are many games that have better looking vehicles ... Halo 3 has much better looking vehicles than Crysis, CoD4, UT3, Gears all have better looking vehicles.
And the interiors are really crappy ... like in the trailers .. man look compare that with the interiors in Gears of War ... there is none ... the furniture in Gears looks much more real and solid, the scattered papers, the stuff like Pianos, etc. all this blows Crysis away. And the buildings themselves ... once again UT3, Mass Effect, Gears, and Bioshock and R6V even all have better buildings.

So Crysis has more photo realistic trees and foliage and water (maybe on this ... I am not convinced ... the water in Bioshock was amazing) okay fine ... but overall when you consider EVERYTHING Gears of War beats it hands down and UT3 is not far behind. I am surprised I even have to say this on a Unreal site ... Crysis is meh? It is boring compared to Gears and does not run nearly as smoothly at max settings as Gears does on Max settings (especially on the 360) and also Crysis doesn't really add anything new ... not like Gears with the Roadie run, Active reload, a better cinematic experience, advanced cover system. So if I had to choose I would take Gears and UT3 over Crysis anyday of the week.

Umm dude, sorry to burst your bubble, but based on the OP's post, this is specifically dealing with *tree* technology. No need to bring interiors/gameplay into it.

I don't know why people get, as Shredprince would say, their panties in a wad when it comes to comparing Crysis and UT's graphics. Just calm the **** down. Neither of them is a threat to the other's awesomeness (or lack thereof).

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The trees in those screens look just like they do in Crysis. I don't know what you people are smoking.

Crysis at max detail doesn't look any more awesome close up than any UE3 game (except in the lighting department, perhaps). Crysis excels at photorealistic DISTANCE RENDERING. It does that really well. It also excels at water, though on the surface UE3 water looks good, Crysis has better surface tension, underwater pov and overall water effects.

Bioshock in DX10 has some of that as well (the water stuff).

srø

#unstoppable
Jan 22, 2008
I personally like the look of these better than anything in Crysis, but that's a matter of taste. "Better" is too subjective in this case.

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
Crysis's engine goes for realism, while UT3's goes for bloom. Different art styles, different results.

That looks really sweet, IMHO.

Do you even know what an engine is? :rolleyes: UE3 goes for bloom? Thats a feature both engines have, but not eithers best one. Engines cant have different art styles, only the people using them can have different art styles.

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
Well, my point was to show people who haven't tried it how easy it is to make beautiful scenery with UEd. I think the tool seems more intimidating than it really is.

Anyway, here are some shots after a few tweaks to make it more crysis-esque.

[screenshot]http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/3853/shot6gh6.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2954/shot4xm6.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1962/shot5ud7.jpg[/screenshot]