Unreal Engine 4 In The Works

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
fuegerstef said:
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold News.

Article from June 11th:
http://www.computerbase.de/news/software/spiele/2005/juni/unreal_engine_4/

I even posted it on Ataricommunity along with the fact that it is in development for over 2 Years.

It's a non-story actually. It just got picked up by the wire and is worth mentioning for the sake of completeness. I can't read German, so I don't know what the source is on the other article you posted, but why didn't you send it in?

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
Geez people, they don't have a whole team of people working on UE4. It's one guy doing research and development and maybe playing around with some programming ideas. I rest of Epic, which is probably 60 or 70 people, are working hard on UE3, UT2k7, and GoW.

This tech is at least 5 or 6 years away. We probably won't see it until E3 2009 or something.

Think about it, Carmack does the same. He'll complete an engine and pass it to his team, and while they're working to make Quake3, he'll be researching and starting to code up Doom enigne. Pretty much all game developers that create newer versions of their engines do it this way.

Don't read more into this than there is.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
So considering a few games used .5 and 2.5, I wonder how they make 3.5? Do they just add what they've developed so far to 3 or do they make 4 and subtract certain aspects that aren't completed and just calling it 3.5?

In any case, it does make sense to start on it now before any 3.0 games have been released, you have to figure the completion of 3.0 doesn't necessarily come when epic is done with the next unreal game, it comes when they're ready to liscence it out. 4's probably been in the works since the first liscence was bought.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
This isn't the first time i've heard of a game developer working on a new game engine before their current one even has a first game. John Carmack during the development of Quake 3 arena was already hard at work on the Doom 3 engine and he was doing th whole thing all by himself too for quite a while. So I imagine this sort of thing is very common.