Graphics/Sound stutter in all net games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiZarD

Thanks for listening folks...
Installed Creative 4x2x24 CD-RW and internet game play is screwed. Connect to a server and
while ping remains constant, graphics/sound begin to stutter, becoming more severe until a step
echoes a half-dozen times; take a step, pause, take another, another pause, etc. Games play fine
in single-player on my box so it's not the video/sound cards. Launched a multiplayer and it ran
great; then connected to it from my wife's box on our LAN and soons she came in, problem
started; soon as she left, it disappeared.
Box is AbitBX6,Celery 300a at 450; 256 mgs. ram; Canopus TNT; SB Live Value; Lynksis
network card; CD-RW; CD-Rom, 20 gig tape drive. CD-RW is secondary device behind 13 gig
hard on primary IDE; CD-Rom is primary device on secondary with tape drive behind it.
Updated to latest bios and IDE driver from Abit; moved CD-RW to primary on the secondary
and yanked the CD-Rom; removed both devices from device manager and let Win98 reinstall;
uninstalled and reinstalled the CD-RW driver; reinstalled DX7; checked various .dlls, etc., on
advice from Creative; downloaded a 50 mg. file at constant download speed with no burps even
while at the same time I connected to a Q2 server and slowed to a crawl as sound echoed very
severely so don't think network card is screwed. Rebooted at 300 mgz. but no help.
Checked/unchecked DMA on hard and both CDs. Don't know else to do.
WTF would cause games like Q2, Unreal Tourney, Q3A, etc. to run fine on my box but as soon
as I hit the net, these problems start?
Can anyone help, PLEASE???
I appreciate it!
WiZarD

Status
Not open for further replies.