I just wet myself

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm just going to directly quote one of the comments on the PCGamer article:

Sums it up pretty well.

Epic have a fairly phenomenal amount of lost goodwill to make up for, so I really hope they're serious about this. Does Epic have the balls to actually do this right?

In the stream they straight up said this was only for PC/Mac/Linux.

I think the immediate aftermath of this is hilarious. They gave us exactly what we wanted, and nobody believes them. It's a PC only game, and it's free with no microtransactions. There will be an Unreal Engine store where indie developers can sell their Unreal Engine games, or put them up for free. They were very explicit with this. Y'all need to stop with the cynicism, and actually do your research before posting.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I fully aknowledge that I may have gotten overdramatic by the end of this post...

I think the immediate aftermath of this is hilarious. They gave us exactly what we wanted, and nobody believes them.

That's a pretty key point that you're missing actually.

There's a reason no-one's trusting them.

We've been let down too often to take this at face value. We've had too many idiotic Mark Rein comments, too many catastrophic design decisions, too many middle fingers stuck up at the community. We've had so many promises made and broken.

I want this to be true. I want more than anything to get the game I love back.

If they manage it, then I'll be the first in line to play this game. I will weep with joy if the promises are delivered.

But until it happens, it's all talk. Which is something Epic have proven to be very good at over the last decade. Over-promising and under-delivering.

So don't act like we're being hypocrites by questioning this. Don't act like we haven't been given just cause to doubt. Don't act like we should eat up the hype.

We did last time and it turned to ashes in our mouths.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
That's a pretty key point that you're missing actually.

There's a reason no-one's trusting them.

We've been let down too often to take this at face value. We've had too many idiotic Mark Rein comments, too many catastrophic design decisions, too many middle fingers stuck up at the community. We've had so many promises made and broken.

I want this to be true. I want more than anything to get the game I love back.

If they manage it, then I'll be the first in line to play this game. I will weep with joy if the promises are delivered.

But until it happens, it's all talk. Which is something Epic have proven to be very good at over the last decade. Over-promising and under-delivering.

So don't act like we're being hypocrites by questioning this. Don't act like we haven't been given just cause to doubt. Don't act like we should eat up the hype.

We did last time and it turned to ashes in our mouths.

It's hard to take such fears seriously when they were so clear about this being PC only. It's one of the primary driving ideologies about the game. I couldn't help but laugh when all the console peasants cried in the livestream chat about no console version.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's hard to take such fears seriously when they were so clear about this being PC only. It's one of the primary driving ideologies about the game. I couldn't help but laugh when all the console peasants cried in the livestream chat about no console version.
There is plenty to be afraid of. This could go either way right now. Hopefully Epic will have already realized that the community is never going to come to a consensus on much. They have to figure out how they are going to take the chaos of community suggestions and turn it into a fun game and not Q3 CPM (a good competitive game, but not a fun nor accessible game).

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Of course they know that it's going to be a brawl. That's why they're just leaving everyone to their own devices right now. Let them get it out of their system. Ultimately Epic will still decide what the final product will be, and some people will not get their way.

I also wouldn't pay attention to the classic forum struggles. The "who's the loudest" game doesn't work anymore. We have tools like twitch streaming and Reddit that ensure that those who put forth the effort to make quality content will get more exposure.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Of course they know that it's going to be a brawl.
Yeah, I think they stated exactly that on the twitch stream. :p

Part of answer at 19:21.

Transcript, Steve Polge: "I expect, over time, Epic will probably implement, or lead the implementation of some of our classic game types like Capture the Flag--maybe down the road, Onslaught--things like that, but we're really gonna start small and focus on refining the core of what Unreal Tournament is, and at the same time I'm sure the community is going wide in some cases."

..but people were like:

attachment.php

Attachments

• giveUT4.jpg
    giveUT4.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 108

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Oh, its even worse on there forums. I think most people went deaf immediately after the announcement.

Reading the forums, I have seen

-Someone claim that Epic is going to make them write code and do all the work for them.

-Someone say they are leaving (rage-quitting the forums) after only the first day of them opening because "vehicles being in the game will ruin it".

-Someone tell someone else they are "in the wrong place" if they wanted to mod and should go back to "creaky" old engines if they would like to do so. (Basically the guy isn't interested in selling games and wanted just UED to make maps without the fee, after which another person basically said UT isn't for mods).

I have seen people argue that UT is solely an arena shooter and things like headshots should be removed in favor of strafe jumping. I have seen people say the shock rifle should not be a beam weapon. There is a lot of retarded shit going on right now. I hope it dies down over the next month.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Oh, its even worse on there forums. I think most people went deaf immediately after the announcement.

Reading the forums, I have seen

-Someone claim that Epic is going to make them write code and do all the work for them.

-Someone say they are leaving (rage-quitting the forums) after only the first day of them opening because "vehicles being in the game will ruin it".

-Someone tell someone else they are "in the wrong place" if they wanted to mod and should go back to "creaky" old engines if they would like to do so. (Basically the guy isn't interested in selling games and wanted just UED to make maps without the fee, after which another person basically said UT isn't for mods).

I have seen people argue that UT is solely an arena shooter and things like headshots should be removed in favor of strafe jumping. I have seen people say the shock rifle should not be a beam weapon. There is a lot of retarded shit going on right now. I hope it dies down over the next month.

Ya gotta love it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004

So it's one person, good entertainment value.

Got a link for us?

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Epic and the community are going to have to run a tight ship, or this will turn into the gamedev-version of Twitch Plays Pokémon
I would extrapolate from what they've said that they are going to use the first impression from the feedback to get a general feel and direction for what their vision of UT is going to be (my assumption), then post their conclusions on the wiki (which they did state), and in tight collaboration with the community, get it tested and balanced early on in the development process.

Starting at around 13:18:

Transcript, Steve Polge: "We test and test, and iterate, and we try to make sure that the game mechanics are balanced and everything, but when we let it [the game] out--I mean, immediately, the first day, there are ten times more hours spent playing that game than the whole development time we spent on playing the game. So people find lots of stuff that we just weren't able to nail down, and now we have an opportunity to be working in an open format, where we're getting feedback, and where we're balancing the game, and tweaking it, and making sure it's fun, but fair, all the way through the process, and I think that's going to be really powerful."

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I would extrapolate from what they've said that they are going to use the first impression from the feedback to get a general feel and direction for what their vision of UT is going to be (my assumption), then post their conclusions on the wiki (which they did state), and in tight collaboration with the community, get it tested and balanced early on in the development process.

Starting at around 13:18:

Transcript, Steve Polge: "We test and test, and iterate, and we try to make sure that the game mechanics are balanced and everything, but when we let it [the game] out--I mean, immediately, the first day, there are ten times more hours spent playing that game than the whole development time we spent on playing the game. So people find lots of stuff that we just weren't able to nail down, and now we have an opportunity to be working in an open format, where we're getting feedback, and where we're balancing the game, and tweaking it, and making sure it's fun, but fair, all the way through the process, and I think that's going to be really powerful."
I hope they do this. Make all the decisions for the first release with zero input. Then start taking serious comments on the alpha from UE4 devs.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Epic and the community are going to have to run a tight ship, or this will turn into the gamedev-version of Twitch Plays Pokémon

Well said. Though apparently 100 monkeys, given typewriters and time, would come up with Shakespeare.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Adrenaline, vCTF, Gamespy, DrSiN, CTF-January, Two Weeks, Mark Rein and on and on...

My concerns weren't solely to do with consoles (that one one element, but that's now been answered). My concerns were literally everything else.

This isn't a single issue thing. This is an "Epic has a crap record since about 2004" thing.

I'm going to wait and see how this pans out. I'm not going to sing Epic's praises until I see how this is going. If they pull it off, then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

This is an ambitious project, and as much as I congratulate Epic on choosing this development strategy, and bring UT back, but I simply have doubts as to whether they can pull it off.

You can't say I'm not justified in thinking that.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Epic didn't have a '"crap record" at all. Maybe you have heard of Gears of War?

While I am no fan of that series - at least to the extent of Unreal - I would hardly say that Epic have been doing nothing or have had no success. UE3 was a milestone and - contentious issue I know - UT3 wasn't a bad game, IMO. Now we have UE4 which also looks like it will be a great engine, one which no doubt too years to accomplish. That Epic as a company changed focus is maybe true, but our not liking that is not equal to them being crap.

Way too much hyperbolic drama in this thread; they are not taking anything away that we already have.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected

While I am no fan of that series - at least to the extent of Unreal - I would hardly say that Epic have been doing nothing or have had no success. UE3 was a milestone and - contentious issue I know - UT3 wasn't a bad game, IMO. Now we have UE4 which also looks like it will be a great engine, one which no doubt too years to accomplish. That Epic as a company changed focus is maybe true, but our not liking that is not equal to them being crap.

Way too much hyperbolic drama in this thread; they are not taking anything away that we already have.

Probably aftereffects from UT3. Things like what they said about conquest that didn't happen (it being like assault & onslaught when it became onslaught v2), the supposed "super AI" that would listen to your voice commands and give you accurate details of what is going on, etc.

Really what there problem was was that they told us ideas they had on the table [that probably happened during an ideas meeting] were going to be ingame, when in reality they were just ideas and might not be feasible for implementation.

Now I love UT3 as much as I love the others. I wasn't as put off by the bad menus and such, but I was put off by silly things like claiming UT3's/Bulletstorms failures were due to piracy, etc.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
In a different parallel universe, there is a fandom giving Epic crap for derailing into Jazz Jackrabbit, Pinball games and Unreal after ignoring ZZT, Jill of the Jungle and Castle of the Winds for quite some time.

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Going to wait and see.

I don't care about GoW, it's a console game. I'm talking solely about Epic's record with UT. Probably should have made that clearer.

I'm not saying I'm not interested by this, or interested about the possibilities this might offer. But I'm not going to let myself get caught up in the hype, because I - and lots of other UT players - have done that before and gotten burned.