What would revive the UT franchise?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SuicideUZI

Mar 28, 2008
I was just wondering what your guys thoughts were on if they were to make a brand new UT game whether using UE3 or waiting for UE4 what would if anything make it competitive with how popular other FPS multiplayer have become like modern warfare, or heck even just as popular as it was during UT2K3 - UT2K4.

I think having a really good matchmaking system would help, its pretty much become a standard on consoles to have matchmaking. It seems like it wouldn't be hard to just have the option of either picking the traditional server list or pick matchmaking.

I would also like the player/environment scale to be fixed once and for all.

I'm not sure if this would actually help it stay competitive but I would like the game to go back to a more vibrant style, UT3 in general is to brown / dull looking to me

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Well, I'm guessing they are going to wait for UE4 and if they un-nerf some of the weapons I'd be a happy camper (although not really camping because I don't camp).:)

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Well, going back to basics and restoring both the atmosphere and the many customization options / mod support of the original (and 2K4) would be a good start. This is what made the game unique back then, and (ironically) this is what would make it unique now.

Also: more weapons, including 'real world' guns, melee weapons & really crazy sci-fi / magic stuff, extremely brutal combat & gore (think Mortal Kombat as a FPS), and a varied cast of characters, including bizarre aliens and scantily clad women. Live dismemberment. Wounded crawling. Executions. Interactive (partially) destructible environments, traps, distinctive maps with strong, diverse themes with fitting music. Vibrant colors, none of that grungy blandness. No SP campaign unless it's really good.

Excellent bot support. None of that cheap wallhacking crap and other typical bot cheats, make them behave more like real people. Put a little effort into it, most people will be playing this game offline, after all.

Brightskins ONLY AS AN OPTION. FFS!!

Don't be afraid to be a bit controversial; controversy sells, castrated blandness doesn't.

NO ****ING GAYSPY!

NO ****ING CONSOLES!

Etc.

That's the kind of game I'd play, and pay good money for.

Will they (Epic) do it? Of course not, they got GoW now and don't give a ****. But maybe someone else will, someday. I really don't care whether or not it's called UT, or has anything to do with that particular universe, as long as it has the above features. I'd love to see a UT-ish game developed on a, say, 2020 engine. Photo-realistic gore ftw!

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
PC gaming is dead. (Other than crap like WoW)

So nothing will revive it.

And even if PC Gaming wasn't basically dead, no one plays good awesome fast paced shooters these days; it takes too much skill for kids now to get interested.

:(

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Well, going back to basics and restoring both the atmosphere and the many customization options / mod support of the original (and 2K4) would be a good start. This is what made the game unique back then, and (ironically) this is what would make it unique now.

Also: more weapons, including 'real world' guns, melee weapons & really crazy sci-fi / magic stuff, extremely brutal combat & gore (think Mortal Kombat as a FPS), and a varied cast of characters, including bizarre aliens and scantily clad women. Live dismemberment. Wounded crawling. Executions. Interactive (partially) destructible environments, traps, distinctive maps with strong, diverse themes with fitting music. Vibrant colors, none of that grungy blandness. No SP campaign unless it's really good.

Excellent bot support. None of that cheap wallhacking crap and other typical bot cheats, make them behave more like real people. Put a little effort into it, most people will be playing this game offline, after all.

Brightskins ONLY AS AN OPTION. FFS!!

Don't be afraid to be a bit controversial; controversy sells, castrated blandness doesn't.

NO ****ING GAYSPY!

NO ****ING CONSOLES!

Etc.

That's the kind of game I'd play, and pay good money for.

Will they (Epic) do it? Of course not, they got GoW now and don't give a ****. But maybe someone else will, someday. I really don't care whether or not it's called UT, or has anything to do with that particular universe, as long as it has the above features. I'd love to see a UT-ish game developed on a, say, 2020 engine. Photo-realistic gore ftw!

Agree most things except "real world/magic stuff". There are known elements that define UT game so I think it needs to loosely stay in these borders.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't think Epic killed it, I think it was a foregone conclusion from the very beginning. A game like UT (and, by extension, Quake 3) are doomed to failure because the barrier to entry is much higher than any other kind of game. As PC gaming has become more "mainstream", less people care about deep, strategic gameplay. They like Halo and Gears of War. Games with simpler gameplay, lower barrier to entry, easy competition.

I look back at lots of games from the late 90s and games today just don't compare to them. I think a lot of people who look back at the UT series fondly mostly do so in an "old fogey" kind of "the good old days" way.

The simple fact of the matter is that UT will never be popular again. Epic could make the ultimate, awesome, great, perfect for everyone UT game with perfect competitive options, great stats and everything everyone could ever want out of it, and it would still turn out the same way.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Interbellum said:
extremely brutal combat & gore
No SP campaign unless it's really good.
NO ****ING CONSOLES!
So, to revive the UT franchise you are making suggestions that exclude 80% of the potential player base :/

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
no singleplayer = no UT.

Whether people want to admit it or not, lots of people play UT offline, because the bots are challenging enough without talking back. (Ok, they'd talk back in players vs bots mode in 2k4, but that was for comedic effect)

Leaving it alone for a while, and then taking the formula that worked and adding something new (e.g. a new gun or guns... UT has had nothing but the same set of weapons forever, and any new weapon that's introduced is built specially for a certain gametype (e.g. avril, spider mine gun)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
...oh, yeh, I forgot about the part to give it all the options the original UT now has.:) I also believe that really won't help at this point, but maybe a patch for UT3 with just this would be cool for now.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
So, to revive the UT franchise you are making suggestions that exclude 80% of the potential player base :/

They consoleros play their console-versions. Which excludes them from the very beginning of where the real and true UT would happen. The SP people play SP for themselves. So they won'T revive the online-community anywas.

So you could leave them out, IMHO.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Let Epic doing new stuff such as GoW or something as cool as Shadow Complex. UT was already enough (even if I still like UT3's DM more).

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Northrawn said:
They consoleros play their console-versions. Which excludes them from the very beginning of where the real and true UT would happen.
Not if you have cross-platform. The PS3 has kb/m, maybe the next gen console will have it too
The SP people play SP for themselves. So they won'T revive the online-community anywas.
I believe that SP people that have a good first impression of online will stick around.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Well, I'm guessing they are going to wait for UE4 and if they un-nerf some of the weapons I'd be a happy camper (although not really camping because I don't camp).:)
Unreal Engine 4 will specifically target consoles. Even the whatever stupid Wii-like system Nintendo comes up with next will be prioritized before the PC.

Not that that's surprising; UE3 comes built targeting consoles out of the box. Not a literal box, of course, but you know. You can use Borderlands as the best recent example of UE3's consoleness.

You will never be a happy camper again if you're waiting for a good UT. D:

weridguy

Apr 14, 2006
as an xbox player, i would actually like to see it focus as a pc game. the ports they made for the xbox i feel was a lot better then ut3 which i feel like they tried to made it easy on xbox. the lack of maps/titan pack screwed xbox players over **** microsoft. ut may be a dead series seeing how computer gaming is dying and consoles are being run by 12 year old kids who skip school to play their clan matches and they play games with low learning curve (halo) and wont touch unreal because they wont take the time to learn to play it

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
So they won'T revive the online-community anywas.
The online community is not the sole measure of a game's performance. You realize how many people have UT3 or UT2k4 or even the original UT that dont ever play online? Lots. More than do play it online, in fact. UT3 was not really a sales failure. Nor was 2k4. The only way to make the online community bigger is to remove bots from the game entirely to force people to play online. But that will reduce the total userbase since not everyone wants to play online all the time.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
The classless, persistent-less nature of UT just isn't going to work these days. Most people think that classless equals depth-less, and no "levels" equals no point in playing.