Official bot config menu whine thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
NP, Kantham. What I need to do is hit the "how to make mutator" tutorials at 3dbuzz and moddb.com & I'm going to start with making a mutator that gets rid of the link gun alt-fire that the bots use unfairly ( it can penetrate geometry and it's auto-lock on and they can hit you from 5 miles away with it -- which is pure bullsh!t, I don't care what anybody else thinks ) and incorporate it into all TDM and CTF sessions in my MapMixer list.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Sorry Grrl, but yesterday I played with random bots vs Xeno exclusively..
And played them again just now..

And I heard YOUR taunts a plenty... When they did something beyond scoring a basic kill!
Apparently you will only hear bot taunts if: The bot does a killing spree/higher step, kills a carrier, kills YOU, random low chance if he kills someone else.

Malcolm for one told a Xeno carrier that it's HIS house just 5 minutes ago, sooo..

No, it's not Broken. Epic has intentionally dampened bot taunting.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Theres a tendancy to do this in UT3 as well.

Tendency would be an understatement.
Even the default bots rarely have any statistics set (ie : they're all average).
AFAIK all the bots in previous games had more character ...

// ---
The reduced bot-taunting does look intentional, but you can't exactly blame them when there's so few character-voices and adding new voices is practically impossible... :(

Heck ... it's the only reason I miss UT'99.

Maybe it's also related to network-related optimizations ? Like maybe you really are only supposed to hear taunts directed at you or within a certain radius and the code is a bit buggy when it comes to bot-behaviour for this bit ?

// -- edit --
Map-mixer is cool ... this is what UT3's IA/bot-menu should have been like.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Tendency would be an understatement.
Even the default bots rarely have any statistics set (ie : they're all average).
AFAIK all the bots in previous games had more character ...

The only exceptions are the Faction leaders except Scythe - they are all tougher.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
NP, Kantham. What I need to do is hit the "how to make mutator" tutorials at 3dbuzz and moddb.com & I'm going to start with making a mutator that gets rid of the link gun alt-fire that the bots use unfairly

Lol yeah it's dumb. But after a while by downing their accuracy it makes more sense. If you pick Godlike AI it's just completely unavoidable and obvbious how their link gun secondary is AIMBOT BS. Also you just get out of a vehicle and the bot is already having a perfect lock on you as you JUST got out, they don't do that on adept and below, hence the reason why I pick adept bots all the time, and boost their aggressiveness, tactics, jump/dodge, nerf the reaction time a bit and ETC.

Much more enjoyable, and they are less obvious too, in short, more human-like like Epic Games promised when the game was named UT2007.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Lol yeah it's dumb. But after a while by downing their accuracy it makes more sense. If you pick Godlike AI it's just completely unavoidable and obvbious how their link gun secondary is AIMBOT BS. Also you just get out of a vehicle and the bot is already having a perfect lock on you as you JUST got out, they don't do that on adept and below, hence the reason why I pick adept bots all the time, and boost their aggressiveness, tactics, jump/dodge, nerf the reaction time a bit and ETC.

Much more enjoyable, and they are less obvious too, in short, more human-like like Epic Games promised when the game was named UT2007.

Currently working on mutator that replaces Link Gun & Ammo with Stinger & it's Ammo.

I would use the Weapon Replacement mutator included with the game, but it won't respawn the replaced ammo packs ( at least not in CTF-Touch made by SpoonDogger ). So, I'm trying to make a mutator that will respawn the replaced ammo packs. Wish me luck.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The link gun is one of my fav for both combat and healing features. If you're removing a weapon entirely because you don't like it rather than fixing the AI accuracy with it, I doubt you'll have any takers. ;)

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Not to worry, Link Gun will stay in VCTF & Warfare. Where I want to replace it is in TDM & CTF.

Just wanting this type of mut for my LAN server. Not expecting any takers, it's just me & two friends who play on my LAN server decided we want this.

And BTW, we play VCTF-Altas City, Slax, & Satellite quite regularly, so thanks for the maps.

Maybe it's also related to network-related optimizations ? Like maybe you really are only supposed to hear taunts directed at you or within a certain radius and the code is a bit buggy when it comes to bot-behaviour for this bit ?

While I believe you're correct about this, by the same token, I've seen no improvement in the net-coding between 1.3 & 2.0. I have a guy who connects to my LAN server from England & i'm in the U.S. and his ping is the same as it was before.

So, the Global Bot taunts may have just as well stayed.

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
I have a guy who connects to my LAN server from England & i'm in the U.S. and his ping is the same as it was before.

Well, the optimizations are not directed at latency/ping but bandwidth use, which has almost no impact on lower latency/ping. Unless your server runs at max CPU capacity or uses the bandwidth limit.

You cannot simply decrease ping by patching (unless there was something screwed up before really bad).

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Well, the optimizations are not directed at latency/ping but bandwidth use, which has almost no impact on lower latency/ping. Unless your server runs at max CPU capacity or uses the bandwidth limit.

In other words it did nothing. Nick ( the guy in England ) said he noticed no difference. Bandwidth use can be set up server-side, by anyone running a server, so if the optimizations were directed at bandwidth use -- it's like, what's the point?

Removing Global taunts is hardly going to optimize bandwidth or make a noticeable difference. You still got all those other voice messages coming through. And if one wants to use Voice chat, they can always use Teamspeak and run a Teamspeak server off a seperate box than the game server, if they have one.

So, in reality, removing global taunts really has no effect on bandwidth.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
In other words it did nothing. Nick ( the guy in England ) said he noticed no difference. Bandwidth use can be set up server-side, by anyone running a server, so if the optimizations were directed at bandwidth use -- it's like, what's the point?

Oh my evolution...

There are other people in the world beside you. For them it did a lot.

But reading your comments it isn't worth discussing with you and your (only?) friend Nick.
I wonder if longer words like "optimization" even fit into your narrow mind?
Dou you even know the basics of UT3's replication and data-priorities in it? Oh, wait... ...do you know about tracerouting and stuff? Maybe you should tell Nick about that.

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Oh my evolution...
There are other people in the world beside you. For them it did a lot.

But reading your comments it isn't worth discussing with you and your (only?) friend Nick.
I wonder if longer words like "optimization" even fit into your narrow mind?
Dou you even know the basics of UT3's replication and data-priorities in it? Oh, wait... ...do you know about tracerouting and stuff? Maybe you should tell Nick about that.

It sounds like evolution to you means pumping your neighbors dog.

Got news for you, for a lot of folks 2.0 broke their game, and if you think I'm the only one, then you have had one too many intimate sessions with your neighbors dog. You use the term "narrow-minded" and yet clearly demonstrate with just about every post I've seen you make that you got the brain of a p!ssant.

Do not respond to me from this point on. It's obvious you don't have a clue about what you're talking about.