Official bot config menu whine thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
You should have seen my English when I first posted here. I actually learned English here. So what you fraid' of? Go ahead. :)

Ok I will try :)

1= to select the bots, put it like 2k4, 2 screens one for red and the other for blue, to see the bots that you whant in your game. For me it is important.
In UT3 you try to choose your bots, and some times, you don't get the bots that you whant, and yes I did unluckallchars.

2= You can not configure the bots like in UT99 and 2k4, for the skill (jumping behavior etc)

3= they are no keys for the bots like take there flag, when you play and you have 5 or 6 bots trying to kill you, and your healt is low. You don't have the time to press v and ask for help (cause the game can't be pause if you press the v key).

4= No blood remenber, it is a game that you are suppose to fight whit chainsaw's, where is the blood? ok sorry that one is not about bot playing offline. But damn it pissed me off (and bots really don't play good like in UT99)
in UT99 it whas the best AI even in any UT games and by far, no contest there.

5= It will sound stupid maybe it is, but I liked to insult the bots some time. Just for the fun of it. Now they is no key for that.

6= In UT99 you ad keys to see your bots, you know where they are whit the flag, and so on.

I will stop here, cause if those where fix for me I whould love the game very much, even if it is not the game play of UT99. But for me has a offline player, UT3 really suck bad. Those thing's that I have said are really easy to fix. So how come epic did nothing about it. I know offline player's are not that important to epic?

I love the patch. But give me a break here. You put a couple of knew maps + a titan mut, 2 new games play, and 2 new characters. And every thing is ok?.

They only good thing in that patch for me is, the configuration for the video setting. That I thank epic for that, but the rest it is like your child is crying, and you give him a candy, to make him shout up.

No offense to any one here. It is my personal opinion of that patch. I will go back to my UT99 no contest.

I'am very sorry if I whas way off topic in the last part. But I had to said it

sorry again :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
And add to this, the 2.0 patch removed the global player taunts from the game. This makes no sense to me, at all.

Now, if you play a botmatch, there's almost nothing but dead air.

Sh!tcanned patch 2.0 and went back to 1.3 with Map Mixer.

I just laughed out loud at this. Oh wow..

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I just laughed out loud at this. Oh wow..

Well, it makes no sense to me that you ship a game with these taunt sound files and then turn around and release a patch that negates them? And what about custom voice packs? It would be redundant to add a voice pack with taunts in it, if no one can hear them.

An example would be the Xeno models that have UnrealGrrl's voice. I mean why remove something that can spice up the game? I know online players don't care for taunts & many turn them off, but wouldn't it be better to have an option similar to the Announcements option under Audio settings where you can go Full, Minimal, or Off, if you don't want to hear other players taunting?

Without any bot chatter, the game for me becomes staid and borish. And Cobra is right. Original UT still does have the best bots. They play great & with XBots mutator, having an expanded roster is always nice.

And yes, I really did reinstall my game patched to 1.3 as well as my LAN server, so I not only ditched 2.0 once, but twice.

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
Well, perhaps he forgot to turn on his speakers/headphones and jumped the EPIC/patch/pack-sucks bandwagon (which is quite small, btw, fortunately).

Why are you making fun of him, because he his not crazy of the patch.

Yes they put plenty of candy's for childrens. But titan of 15 foots, and so on.

It is fun for some times, but for some it get old very fast.

Whe only whanted for the people playing offline, the same good thing's for bots play. Like in UT99 and UT2004 that's all

and what pissed me off is that it whould have been very easy to do for epic.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
An example would be the Xeno models that have UnrealGrrl's voice. I mean why remove something that can spice up the game? I know online players don't care for taunts & many turn them off, but wouldn't it be better to have an option similar to the Announcements option under Audio settings where you can go Full, Minimal, or Off, if you don't want to hear other players taunting?

Xeno is a custom model and allot of custom models are broken in at least one way or another from the patch. I personally have the model, but in all my time playing since the patch/pack it hasn't shown up in a match yet so your claim for that custom model may or may not true. Btw, do you really think using a custom model as an example to prove your point actually makes sense?

And for your claim that taunts aren't happening in a match I can only say that you may of lost some of your hearing as the taunts are clearly there. If you are making this claim because you speculated a match, then can I request you to actually play a match?

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Well, perhaps he forgot to turn on his speakers/headphones and jumped the EPIC/patch/pack-sucks bandwagon (which is quite small, btw, fortunately).

There is no bandwagon here, just Offliners who have had this very problem since the game was released.. we've waited more than a year now for this issue to be addressed, and as Cobra noted, it would be easy for EPIC to fix it, so surely, it is high time it gets resolved.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
There is no bandwagon here, just Offliners who have had this very problem since the game was released.. we've waited more than a year now for this issue to be addressed, and as Cobra noted, it would be easy for EPIC to fix it, so surely, it is high time it gets resolved.

What are you talking about? We changed subjects Grobut, we are now talking about taunts, not bot config.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Why are you making fun of him, because he his not crazy of the patch.

No. I am making fun of him, because the taunts are clearly there on a properly installed and configured UT3... ...it is the opposite... ...a custom notaunt-mutator is broken from the patch, making it impossible to turn the taunts off!!!!!!

There is no bandwagon here, just Offliners who have had this very problem since the game was released...

Offliners do not hear any taunts for over a year. That is news to me.

Yes, I read Larkins post... ...just showing what could happen if you DON'T read the posts. BTW, I didn't change the trhreads's topic.

EDIT:
Put two posts into one.

Last edited:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I am hearing taunts from bots both before and after 2.0
And that from any bot in the current match - Including Xeno. :eek:

BACK ON TOPIC: Yes, it does feel like Epic really dropped the ball there.
No manual bot teaming, no statchanging, no spectator for offline, no ability to select voice..

Not even able to stack teams in offline mode..

Hum, looking at the OP picture.. I think Interbellum is more worried about his loss of gratuitous TnA. ;)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
What are you talking about? We changed subjects Grobut, we are now talking about taunts, not bot config.

Wasen't that put to rest allready? i'm talking bot config, obviously.

But for the record, taunt options are also lacking last i checked (you know, less taunts, minimum and off), personally, i'm not a fan of chatty bots that scream in my ear every bloody time they do something.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Excuse me, but you seldom hear taunts from coming from bots when playing and if you spectate a botmatch, you do not hear anything at all.

You guys are referring to hearing your own player taunt or hearing a bot taunt you when he frags you. I was referring to hearing the global taunts that were being heard in patch 1.3, including spectator mode, but aren't there now.

It's already been confirmed by another user on the official threads & Cobra just confirmed it. This was NOT something that needed changed from patch 1.3 to 2.0.

EDIT: I just realized I did not use the word GLOBAL when I first posted about bot taunts being removed, which may have confused some of you guys. My bad. The Global ones have been removed.
By Global, I mean hearing an enemy bot taunt your bot teammate when they get a frag or vica-versa. As it is now in 2.0 there's too much dead air. A better solution, as Grobut illustrated, would have been to implement the same options that are there for Announcements, -- Full, Minimum, Off. I know everyone of you that have posted here can agree on that one.

Dark Pulse, if you get word that Epic is planning another patch, why not suggest this feature to them & to put this feature that I just described into the Audio settings in the next patch. I believe you do have some sort of direct line to them through the Beta testing of their patches, don't you?
I don't believe there is a single individual out there that would be displeased with this feature being implemented, even if there are more viable issues that need to be addressed.

Last edited:

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
You are entitled to your opinion and i wont try to disuade you, but the point with the menu's is that it only pleases one group of players, namely thouse who happen to like botmatches in the exact way the game sets them up now, for thouse of us who want something different, like uneven teams for instance, it just doesen't do the job, it is not flexible in any meaningfull way like past games where.

Ultimately, the point here is the one brdempsey69 touched upon, UT3 is needlessly turning away players, who are not happy with the way this works, and if there's one thing this game (not to mention the franchise as a whole) cannot afford, it is to turn away players.

And all they need do to stop this is bringing the menu's up to 2k4 standards, we're talking about adding a few checkboxes, and deviding red and blue team up into sepperate catagoeris, and adding a little picture besides the bots name, this is nothing huge, surely it is worth doing to please all the offline players out there.

Oh, but I agree with you!
I always said that they'd need to do at least 2 separate lists for team games.

Sure I don't understand why don't they do it, having 2 tabs instead of one is it so hard to code? :confused:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Oh, but I agree with you!
I always said that they'd need to do at least 2 separate lists for team games.

Sure I don't understand why don't they do it, having 2 tabs instead of one is it so hard to code? :confused:

It is not a problem to code it, hell, MapMixer can do it.

I have a sneaky suspicion that what we're up against is the Consoles, coding a usable bot selection screen for the PC is no biggie, neither is adding in some checkboxes and variables so we could tweak some basic gameplay options, but thats for the PC where we have the mouse, and it's not all that important where thease buttons go as we can select them just fine just by pointing at them.

But if the PC gets it, the PS3 players will allmost certainly want it too (and who can blame them?), but drag'n'drop interfaces are no good with a thumbstick (technically it could function, but it would be such arse to deal with!), even checkboxes are an issue, they need to be laid out in such a way that they can be cycled by the thumbstick, or it wont be good, and that means you can't just put them in anywhere they fit, you need to make a whole new menu that lists them..

I think thats our problem right there, why they dont want to do it, coding this stuff for the PC would be easy enough, but for the consoles, it is a very different matter, and i'm not sure EPIC is interested in giving the PC too much special treatment, and i certainly dont think they want to code sepperate menu's for two platforms.

Ultimately, i think they fail to realize how important thease things are, and how many of their PC customers want it (and probably would not have bought UT3 had they known they where absent), everything they have done and said so far suggests this, they dont seem to have a clue what offliners want, nor do they seem to care anymore.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Excuse me, but you seldom hear taunts from coming from bots when playing and if you spectate a botmatch, you do not hear anything at all.

You guys are referring to hearing your own player taunt or hearing a bot taunt you when he frags you. I was referring to hearing the global taunts that were being heard in patch 1.3, including spectator mode, but aren't there now.

It's already been confirmed by another user on the official threads & Cobra just confirmed it. This was NOT something that needed changed from patch 1.3 to 2.0.

EDIT: I just realized I did not use the word GLOBAL when I first posted about bot taunts being removed, which may have confused some of you guys. My bad. The Global ones have been removed.
By Global, I mean hearing an enemy bot taunt your bot teammate when they get a frag or vica-versa. As it is now in 2.0 there's too much dead air. A better solution, as Grobut illustrated, would have been to implement the same options that are there for Announcements, -- Full, Minimum, Off. I know everyone of you that have posted here can agree on that one.

Dark Pulse, if you get word that Epic is planning another patch, why not suggest this feature to them & to put this feature that I just described into the Audio settings in the next patch. I believe you do have some sort of direct line to them through the Beta testing of their patches, don't you?
I don't believe there is a single individual out there that would be displeased with this feature being implemented, even if there are more viable issues that need to be addressed.
1) I here plenty of bot chatter when I play
2) Why would you want to just watch bots play, except for testing a mod or mutator you made?
3) I cant imagine hating a patch over something like this. If "EFF YEAH" and "TAKE IT!" are the only things that made the game fun, you should probably look for another game.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
1) I here plenty of bot chatter when I play
2) Why would you want to just watch bots play, except for testing a mod or mutator you made?
3) I cant imagine hating a patch over something like this. If "EFF YEAH" and "TAKE IT!" are the only things that made the game fun, you should probably look for another game.

1. You quote me, and then totally miss my point, totally. My point is the GLOBAL taunts are missing that were there in patch 1.3. It's been needlessly taken out & it doesn't do sh!t to enhance the game. I'm not the only one who doesn't like it. See this post over at the official forums by UnrealGrrl:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=26118566&postcount=90

2. People have been spectating bot matches ever since the original UT was released, for a number of reasons. It's NOT an uncommon thing. Where the hell have you been? I can't believe you'd ask such a stupid question. People do it all the time, especially after downloading a custom made map to learn the maps layout, where weapon pickup are, etc. Why do you suppose that more than one person has requested that a Spectate button be put in to Instant Action settings? There are many valid reasons.

3. Who said that was the only issue I had with patch 2.0? You didn't hear that from me. The overall gameplay just feels better to me in 1.3 than it does in 2.0. Do you really believe I'm the only one who has issues with patch 2.0 ( note: I am referring to just the patch, not the Titan Bonus pack )? I suggest you take some time to read the Epic Official UT3 threads. And who are you to tell me to go find another game? You come off like a typical fanboi -- to the extent if any of the developers of UT3 ever come to a sudden halt, your face is going to go half-way up their a$$. Got news for you: like it or not, nobody appointed you as my peer & I ain't about to regard you as such, so don't even bother telling me I should do this or that regarding a game that I purchased, because to me, you really represent a big ZERO.

I respect the fact they've given us all this free content, which they didn't have to do, but if something isn't broken then you don't try and fix it -- and I'm not the only one who feels that way -- check the link that I provided above.

I never said that taunts were the only thing that made the game fun -- that's a conjecture that you pulled out of your arse. But they do, at least for me, enhance the game & give it an atmosphere that is unique to the entire UT series. Why do you suppose people spent time making custom voicepacks for previous editions of UT? Or posting tutorials about how to make custom voicepacks -- that include taunts, quite naturally.

You're statements are not only way off base, but you aren't even remotely in the ballpark.

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
1. You quote me, and then totally miss my point, totally. My point is the GLOBAL taunts are missing that were there in patch 1.3. It's been needlessly taken out & it doesn't do sh!t to enhance the game. I'm not the only one who doesn't like it. See this post over at the official forums by UnrealGrrl:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=26118566&postcount=90

Global Taunts are there. I just checked it 1 minute ago. I even asked online-players to do a taunt while I was speccing. Wow, they were there, clear and loud... ...don't blame the game, if you cannot configure it or even break it.

BTW: All things but two that UnrealGrrl listed were there before. One of the two remaining things is the global-taunt thing that only two people seem to have.

Last edited: