PC Gaming Alliance Formed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
In an effort to keep PC Gaming alive and kicking a number of big names from Microsoft to Intel have joined hands to advance PC gaming. This offically annouces the PCGA at this years GDC.

"PCGA members believe that we are stronger and more effective together than any member company is alone, and that our shared vision and group effort will improve PC gaming worldwide," said Intel's Randy Stude. "Industry forums have proven to foster competition and innovation among member companies and grow markets while improving user experiences."

"What we intend to do is look at what's out there and tell developers what consumers have and understand what audiences exist," added Microsoft Games for Windows chief Kevin Unagast. "The role of the PCGA is providing guidance to developers when they are making a game, explain how they can achieve consistency."

The list of PCGA members includes Acer/Gateway, Activision, AMD, Dell/Alienware, Epic Games, Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Razer.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The problem never was and never will be making the games.
The real problem is that pc-games insisted on re-inventing the wheel.
Part of that is gone thanks to the introduction of DirectX and the dominance of nVidia/Ati and Creative, but there's still quite a bit of stupidity going on.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
As right now, the only thing that makes me want to keep up with Epic Games is their engine.
I'm sure there could be a game studio out there to re-invent area shooter.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
well, i guess that's a nice thing on the whole. but i thought it was kinda funny to see a quote from a microsoft GfW spokesperson. after all from what i've seen so far it seems they have quite some work to do with GfW ;)

apart from that - after the two rather disheartening comments from epic games concerning pc vs. consoles i wonder what it means to see them on this list. have mark rein and cliffyb been told off for their comments (after all, there are other people working there...) and we're seeing an attempt to back-pedal or is it just about providing the engine for pc games? ...

As right now, the only thing that makes me want to keep up with Epic Games is their engine.
I'm sure there could be a game studio out there to re-invent area shooter.

along the lines of what jafo said i don't think the genre needs to be re-invented. innovation - ok, but re-inventing? even successful shooters like COD4 still remain shooters.
i think it's really more about realizing the predominant taste and making your game according to that but still with enough variation to make it stand out from other games. at least if you want to make a good amount of money.

Last edited:

dethmanrulz

Feb 10, 2008
well, i guess that's a nice thing on the whole. but i thought it was kinda funny to see a quote from a microsoft GfW spokesperson. after all from what i've seen so far it seems they have quite some work to do with GfW ;)

apart from that - after the two rather disheartening comments from epic games concerning pc vs. consoles i wonder what it means to see them on this list. have mark rein and cliffyb been told off for their comments (after all, there are other people working there...) and we're seeing an attempt to back-pedal or is it just about providing the engine for pc games? ...

I'm sure this agreement happened before CliffyB and Rein made their respective comments...

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Perhaps Cliffy and Mark will become spokespersons for Xbox and PS (respectively) and we'll get someone who'll be serious and steadfast enough about PC games that he/she won't be ridiculed every time they say something like "two weeks" or "when it's done". :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes but the eingine is used for PC as well as for console games and the fact that some EPIC guys stated that consoles are the platforms to make money with, I find it extremely two-faced.
That makes little or no sense at all.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
lol, a whole PC game convention.

"Hey look at us guys, we're still popular! Look over here, overe HEEEEEREEE...."

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
UT3 will be a PC game first guys, we swear!

Unfortunately this time around that was probably the problem :D We are the guinea pigs to test an make sure the xbox version is bug free. :D

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
You guys are lame.

Anyway -- what *I* find ironic is Intel's inclusion. Sure their Core2 CPUs are awesome, but their GMA chips are the entire reason for PC gaming's lack of marketshare.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
ok, but re-inventing? even successful shooters like COD4 still remain shooters.

There's a reason why I don't feel like play CoD4 too much, and that reason is "Realism" Re-inventing is one step further than innovation, or whatever. You know what I mean.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Ok, so what exactly are they going to do? Hold rallies?

Kinda sounds like it is nothing but publicity. If the hardware makers wanted to do something, they could actually start releasing better drivers for Vista. They could also drop the price on their hardware some (with the economy like it is and all...). But of course, we all know they will not drop price, and drivers are still pretty slow (been about 3 months for nVidia).

Ok, so they talk to developers. So what, they are going to be like telemarketers? I mean seriously, the only developers I see going for this are ones that are using UE3. Sure that is a bunch of them, but there are plenty more out there that develop solid games.

sWs»Cheapshot

Jan 20, 2008
I don't think there is a time limit on membership to the PCGA. If the program does well... others will follow suit.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
still i believe that console market does so well because while you have to open the console and install a chip to play pirated games on the console, on pc, you only have to type the game´s name on google.

Anyone has compared orange box sales on pc vs console?
on pc, this game goes through steam, and in this platform make piracy is way more difficult...

i would like to see some numbers of sales with this example

Last edited: