UT2007: 11 Things Epic needs to do right.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thromp

Dec 19, 2005
briach said:
Balance the game for 10-30 ping.

And for the other 99% of us who don't have a OC-12 connection to the backbone?

They should either cater to the majority (keep hitscan) or have a competition/LPB mode option (but not default) where things like the sniper rifle and shock primary have a very fast travel speed rather than hitscan for LAN play.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Keep on getting hitscan whored by players with a 20 ping.

I wont be on the recieving end of it. :D

You seem to not understand that balancing the game for 10-30 ping will probably better suit players with a crap connection.

Thromp

Dec 19, 2005
Oh, it’s not that I don’t understand, it’s that you are flat out wrong. Balancing the game for 10-30 ping will give those who have 10-30 ping and create an even bigger advantage for those with a lowly cable/DSL connection (read: most people). Did you ever play pre-Quakeworld Quake 1 on the net vs. someone on the server. Yeah, that’s what it would be like, pure suckage. Anyway, there's no point in arguing about it anyway. Epic already knows who the majority of their customer base is (people with 40 to 180 ping depending on server location) and will try their best to balance the game around that.

Anyway, here’s a question for people who have an in-depth knowledge of cheat protection technology (Anti TCC people etc.) Is it at all possible to make hit detection client side with some kind of occasional server side check to make it so someone’s ping is no longer just as important as their skill?

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Um, you really for real? UTComp has newnet which does that already at the great bain of reality.

If you balance the game for the idea that people have 0-30 ping then the honus will be taken OFF hitscan weapons and put ON to others. Giving the HPBs plenty of time without getting whored off the map.

It will make the game better. UT GOTY got fecked up by reducing pings, 2k* also. The less emphasis they put on hitscan (by balancing the game for low pings) then the less chance the game will turn out a sniper/mini/LtG/Shock fest like the last two.

So yeah, Thromp + wrong end of stick = previous post.

chillypacman

Dec 19, 2005
heres hoping we got some smart enough bots for unreal 2k7 so I dont have to worry about this crap with 'collision detection' client side and whatnot :p

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Dark Pulse said:
9) Headshots. A little off the beaten path here, but Headshots simply don't work quite as well as they used to. While I realize with UT it was a bit cheap and pretty easy to pop heads, in 2kx some shots that SHOULD... don't.
The only thing more annoying is having a players' forehead dead-centered in the middle of the screen, and the bullet/bolt just passes right thru

I have a #13 for you tho: Bots
They should not be able to track you thru walls, they should be limited by other cues(sounds within their "hearing range" for example)
They should not be able to snap around and flak you in the face/shoot you in the head. Instead, if you're up very close and fly by them, they should lose track of you for a short time(like a human)
They should not be able to bounce around like a methed-up acrobat(Ex: Play CTF-1on1Joust with anything over adept and try to rocket them)
They should act a bit more human. If you tell one to "F*** off" it would be nice if it replied with "Well f*** you too buddy"

As for skins, I'm not worried about brighter, I would just like to see more effectively colored

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Kyllian said:
if you're up very close and fly by them, they should lose track of you for a short time(like a human)

:tup:
One of the parts of my gamestyle is to get up close to someone and make them loose track of me, works alot but bots obviously don't fall for it.