The Sniper Rifle.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Switch`

Pixelante
Feb 27, 2004
-AEnubis- said:
Bearing that information in mind, I'm thinkin' it would be highly possible that the next Sniper Rifle could very well not be hit-scan.

HELL YEA!

I want to blow s*** up with style and frag nubs in many humiliating ways. Such sniper.. uhh.. cannon complete with selection of various ammo - think Unreal 2 grenade launcher - could do the job and be fun too.

Last edited:

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
the xm109 kinda works more like something that would make a person a spma, with ballistics and stuff going on... well, maybe the stealth of not leaving a trail with the bullet is well worth it if people can get to grips with aiming like an spma from first person, like the spma currently is also hidden with only the floating eye visible to enemies most of the time...

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Bullets are boring.

I always found the sniper to be the most boring UT weapon, which is why it took me until days in 1v1 to use it regularly and with effect - It's just so DULL. Like the CS weapons, all those f'in realism mods that should be harvested and turned into mulched shrapnel for feeding to the llamas.

It's good to have a 'sniping weapon' but a bullet sniper rifle is just boring. The LtG was fun, it'd be nice to have some kind of LtG/Railgun type of thing, a nice powerful pretty gun with a good solid sound.

There can be alternatives in the UT universe - tarydium, ion, asmd - can all be adapted into a new 'unreal' weapon.. but ffs bullets are dull.

p.s. enforcers will be a welcome return, they're useful and fun as starter weapons, despite being bullety :p

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I'm with you 100% edhe... I just can't fathom lightning not being hit-scan...

If it would have to be hit-scan, I fear they'd have to nerf it pretty bad (see cSR) to balance it. Maybe current LtG with a longer switch away delay, and maybe longer RoF, but blow that idea by anyone, and they'll have a fit if they like it currently.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
I'd rather have a longer firetime than any change to weapon switching.

Like a charge time once you've pressed fire - maybe even with slight alternations in the time, especially in relation to the amount of time you've had it selected (in reverse to time on, or not - quick switch quick fire like now, or long time hold, quick fire..sniper style?)

That kinda thing would suit the leccy/ion style of logic, and would remain hitscan, just not straight off the input... kinda like ping latency really.

?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
You mean like a load up time ala the UT flak cannon? That could be something to help balance it.

I just think the way everyone uses it as a first strike weapon, it would make more sense to increase the switch away time on it. One thing I like about the cSR, is the ROF is better then the LtG, but since the switch away time is so nasty, if you're in a situation where it is "the gun to use", then you keep doing so, and if someone rushes your position, then it wasn't as easy to ditch it quick, and adjust to the loss of that position. Vs LtG, by the time you think about charging it, there is already a flak bomb splitting the distance.

Rails were good in Q3, and if there was an SG in Q3, it'd be way more balanced, now anyways, vs how low pings are.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
edhe said:
p.s. enforcers will be a welcome return, they're useful and fun as starter weapons, despite being bullety :p
Probably has something to do with bustin' a cap gangsta' style. :D

Granted, they don't necessarily have to be bullety so that might not be an issue anyway. As long as they get rid of that f*cking assrifle, I don't really care what replaces it.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
edhe said:
it'd be nice to have some kind of LtG/Railgun type of thing, a nice powerful pretty gun with a good solid sound.

I wasn't intending to have a sniper weapon in my hybrid weapons pack... however, I am now of the opinion that something like this would be way cool, so I'm going to model and code a tarydium (taridium? I can never remember the correct spelling) sniper rifle :D

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
rate fire of the LG needed to be about as fast as the ut99 rifle,
the effect for LG sucked and it sounded so under powered, If you have lightning gun you should hear a bleeding THUNDEROUS crash at least. Otherwise it was a very good idea for a weapon, should be implemented better, a projectile sniper would suck, you shouldn't be able dodge sniper fire at all, it would slow the game

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
0.9sec ROF? I think not...

gregori said:
rate fire of the LG needed to be about as fast as the ut99 rifle

No, it shouldn't. One of the reasons the UT99 SR was so unbalanced was the dumbass rate of fire. UT200x had it about right with the Lightning Gun. Epic are smart enough not to make the SR as stupidly powerful as it was in UT99.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
not smart enough,The LG is useless unless your good at hit scanwapons it's no fun, i don't use it ever. all the other super spammy weapons in UT99 balanced the rifle out, and the combat was close combat, the arena where small, no killing dots in the distance.
The movements are so fast in UT2kx that wepons needed to be more powerfull for flow of gameplay, UT2kx plays to slowly

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
gregori said:
not smart enough,The LG is useless unless your good at hit scanwapons it's no fun, i don't use it ever.

You're missing something, then. It took me a while to warm up to the LG as well, but once I did it made a lot of difference for me.

What keeps the LG from being useless is the weapon switch times... they're longer now than in UT2k3, but still shorter than UT. The best way to use the LG if you're not a headshot maestro is to take a couple of potshots while they're at range and try to score a hit. If you can do that, you've knocked 70 health off and they're much easier to take down with just about any other weapon. Hell, if I score an LG hit on somebody and see they don't have armor, I've been known to use the Assault Rifle as a finisher... and that can be quite embarrassing. :D

In UT2k3, of course, the LG/ Shock one- two punch was infamous.

So yeah, just work on scoring the one hit and get your weapon switching down and you'll be good to go. And the net result is a much more balanced weapon. People still whore the LG a little but it's nowhere near as bad as the original sniper.

*edit* Re: "takes too long to play." To each his own, I guess. I enjoy getting a little "quality time" with an opponent, it makes the mental game a lot more satisfying. In 2k3 it would seem to take days to finish off a duel, you could almost see the playermodels sweating :lol:. Plus, you spend less time respawning that way.

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
On a side note, PUNCTUATION IS A GOOD THING, ok?

gregori said:
not smart enough,The LG is useless unless your good at hit scanwapons

I have a fairly poor hitscan aim, but I simply can't agree with you that making the SR have a higher rate of fire is a good idea. A high ROF sniper is just a bad idea on balance. If it had a UT99 mechanism, then the better players would simply dominate with it, and would help screw up UT's alpine learning curve.