Please test my map out.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

2tall

Manta Jockey
Oct 5, 2001
Nebraska
www.thenervclan.com
I just registered here but have been lurking for quite some time. If you could d/l my map and give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it. I would post some screens, but I am away from my regular PC at the moment. I think I'm starting to get the hang of UED but need some ideas on what I need to improve on.

If you need screenshots I will post them when I get home tonight.

Thanks.

http://spots.flatland.com/2tall/CTF-[namethismap]beta.zip

Also this map is nameless at the moment.

Jacob Korn

Crimson Strife Mapper
Apr 16, 2001
New Zealand
Visit site
well i have played it.

and i think it is really good! it was the most fun i have had in awile(i'm not sure if that is because i have betrayed the UT community and played the boringness of quake 3) but that was a good fun map as far as i'm conserned. it could have used some more eyecandy and some more textures but it was good. probably better than most of my maps as i havent finnished any except for one, DM-]Atomic[-spikes which i never relesed, and wasn't really good.

ps i liked the red lights in one of the rooms.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
i d/led it. here's some comments, and do not take offense; they are merely constructive. take them for what they are worth.

Architecture:

Try putting some trim along the walls. It is just too bland and grey. You seem to know how to use the 2d editor to make other than square rooms, so use it to make some nice supports as well.
Try to have more variation in height by using ramps, lifts, stairs, platforms, etc. This adds another dimension to the fight.

Textures:

Simply use more. That grey texture gets real repetitive after, uh 5 seconds. Try to experiment with placing different textures on the same wall, broken up by trim.

Lighting:

Practice, practice, practice. Open up some of the maps that came on the CD to see how the lighting is done. Try to avoid those black spots on the ceiling by placing lights on the walls as well. Make sure all lights have a source, i.e. a light fixture.

Items:

Not too bad, but the UD is far too easy to get. Try to think about what the weapons are going to be used for when placing them. For instance, place the FK in close quarters, the BR up on a ledge, the RL in an open space, etc..

Bots:

Didn't try it with them, so I can't speak for the bots.

Just keep at it. It will come along in leaps and bounds. Not bad though for a noob map. Always come here for help; there is a ton of it to be found.

2tall

Manta Jockey
Oct 5, 2001
Nebraska
www.thenervclan.com
Thanks

Just what I needed.

I thought the lighting was ok, but now I know better. I will add some trim and more eyecandy as I stated before. You should try it with the bots on they are tough IMO. I do need to change the pathing to add some alternate routes for the bots although I have seen them use more than one route to the flag. I may also put the UD in the central hallway down below. I want to get better so I need the critique.:D

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Basically everything said above I agree with. THo I wanted to add a couple of things...
I liked the nice little touches such as the red light and the grate with the blue lit pit under it. Adds to the map.
Bots t... it was pretty easy to beat them because they didn't use all the routes. They'd basically flock to the sb path...makes sense since it was the shortest way to go.
SB and AMP were too easy to get.
Make the map bigger next time so you have to go a bit of ways before you reach your base.
V. Good stuff for a noob map tho.

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Took a quick look, I think the layout can turn out to be interesting for such a compact map.

Some more things:
I would have moved the flags so that they are centered at each end of the map.
If you jump you can bump your head against the ceiling/lamps, increase the height.
You can x-loc on top of the lamps, if this is something you want some beams would seem more natural.
Do the texturing and deco thing like the other people said.

2tall

Manta Jockey
Oct 5, 2001
Nebraska
www.thenervclan.com
I will post some

as soon as I add some more eye candy and correct some flaws I have found in the map. That may be tonite or tomorrow, depending on how much time I have to work on it.

Thanks for the interest in my map.:)

2tall

Manta Jockey
Oct 5, 2001
Nebraska
www.thenervclan.com
Screenies

I've changed the textures some and added some more detail. The pathing is changed but I cant seem to get the bots to use the alternate paths very well. I kept the original flag placement because I like it the way it is. Check the link below for some screen shots. They arent great, but it gives an idea of what the map looks like.

http://spots.flatland.com/2tall/noname/noname.html

Click here to d/l the updated map.

http://spots.flatland.com/2tall/noname/CTF-[namethismap]beta.zip

This is most likely the final update for me on this map. Im working on a new one with more detail and hopefully better pathing. Thanks for all of the interest and helpful critique of my map.

:)

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Put some goodies like health vials in the alt paths.
Chris had a very nice post I had bookmarked that explained using alternate paths but I lost it in a reformat and I cannot find it now:(