Make People Like UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
TF2 is not sci-fi or fantasy. It's "based in" reality.

Uhhm no, just because something takes place in a world that looks a bit like the present day does not mean it's "reality based", TF2 is definately fantasy, it's practically an interactive cartoon for QA-pete's sake.

Also, not all Sci-Fi takes place in the future you know, "Science-Fiktion" does not mean "Future stuff", it means writing fiktion that tries to suspend disbelif by giving things a scientific (however made up or soft it may be) explination for things that are happening, IE Vampires and Ghosts would be fantasy, as they are supernatural, but aliens and radioactive mutated horrors would be sci-fi, because it's the sort of thing the average joe thinks could be possible.

By that token, we can barely call the UT univers Sci-Fi by the way, none of the tech or guns or.. anything tries to explain itself with any soft science or Spockish technobabble ("Field lattice generator" is brushing on it, but not quite there), it's just there because it looks cool, it works, and we're just supposed to take it at face value "because it's the future.. or something", it's really leaning more twords fantasy than Sci-Fi.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You're getting a little too semantic there.

There is an obvious difference in "reality" between a game like TF2 and a game like UT3.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
There is an obvious difference in "reality" between a game like TF2 and a game like UT3.

None that i can see, there's a difference in setting (present day versus future), and in their gameplay, but both are equally far out, over the top, and with absolutely no pretenses of trying to portray "reality", in that sence, they are equally fantastic and absurd.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Wow... well I guess I can't really help either of you. I wasn't trying to say that TF2 was a realism game.

Sportaçus

Protecting the citizens of Lazytown.
Feb 17, 2009
UT3 would be better if there was some kind of movement freedom

and the Ripper:D

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Guys be serious... The game as it is now after 2.1, mods, titan is good! Still a bit bugged but good. The problem is just one: Lack of players. So I agree with the author of the first post, the community (users) should do something to make the game famous. We should advertise the game and suggest it to friends!

The Titan mod was the worst thing to happen to UT CTF since...perhaps since UT 2003 or the consolization of UT3.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
The Titan mod was the worst thing to happen to UT CTF since...perhaps since UT 2003 or the consolization of UT3.

I fell tempted to agree, but a thinking brains stops me from doing so. Titans are not FORCED BY DEFAULT, or THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY, like those things you mentioned, it's something chosen by players, YOU TELL ME WHO RUINED UT3 OMGGGGGGGGGG:mad::mad::mad:

Rosco[CoF]

Oct 10, 2009
Traverse City, MI
Just my 2 cents on this. When I used to play UT way back, one of the things my friends and I enjoyed the most was the oddball CTF maps. Like Beerwars, Bedrooms, ArcticJetFighters, Redneck Neighbors & CapturetheKitchen just to name a small few. We stayed away from maps like Face because they became the run of the mill, same old same old. This is not against the game at all, but the ingenuity that went into some of those bizarre off the wall maps seems to be absent these days. Nice to see TwoBedrooms, W00t and BarnBurner remade for UT3, but they are far and few between. It would be nice to see some of the bizarro brought back. Looks like a couple made it into Jailbreak which is heartwarming!

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
I fell tempted to agree, but a thinking brains stops me from doing so. Titans are not FORCED BY DEFAULT, or THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY, like those things you mentioned, it's something chosen by players, YOU TELL ME WHO RUINED UT3 OMGGGGGGGGGG:mad::mad::mad:

Well, on my 3rd attempt to like UT3 which was a reinstall after Titan Pack came out I only found filled servers which had Titans enabled.
They were fun for one or two days and a nice gimmick. After that I would have liked Greed on the 3 or 4 good retail maps (the ones suited that gametype) WITHOUT the Titans.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
No, not that... what? Ping compensation would make games possible between Euro and NA !
Apparently some people are stuck in the past and can't get over how utcomp was in 2k3/2k4 and how it is now in UT3.

Just like how die hard UT'ers prefer their 2 poly player models and 10 year old game. :crysmile:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Well, on my 3rd attempt to like UT3 which was a reinstall after Titan Pack came out I only found filled servers which had Titans enabled.
They were fun for one or two days and a nice gimmick. After that I would have liked Greed on the 3 or 4 good retail maps (the ones suited that gametype) WITHOUT the Titans.

This is pretty much what I was referring to, and yes, I was fully aware that it was a mod that could be disabled.