StarCraft II

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I prefer the cartoony space sci-fi art style that SC2 has going on. CNC3 just looks like any other military RTS with a few sci-fi themes thrown in.

imo

I agree.

I also agree that Warsow < Q3

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I wouldn't dwell on balance judging by videos alone. There are so many factors involved, and it's moot arguing for or against it using speculations. For all we know, there might be a "delete all pylons on map" on the terran's interface that the player just forgot to press.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Yes, the commentary does make the whole game worse. It just does.

I mostly just don't like the "colorful" commentary. Its shields are almost down! It looks like unbelievably, the probe is going to dodge the marine and... it looks like the stalker is - oh, absolutely the stalker is a great- Yes! An amazing shot by and who's gonna win this is it gonna be the marauder or the stalker and oh! Looks like the marauder got an extra shot in there and a-

Goddamn.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I mostly just don't like the "colorful" commentary. Its shields are almost down! It looks like unbelievably, the probe is going to dodge the marine and... it looks like the stalker is - oh, absolutely the stalker is a great- Yes! An amazing shot by and who's gonna win this is it gonna be the marauder or the stalker and oh! Looks like the marauder got an extra shot in there and a-

Goddamn.

You know how it is. Otherwise sit and watch talks are too boring for them. I was face-palming at that Marine VS Probe commentary though, big time. lol. Way overboard.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I quite like the cnc battlecasts. They're a bit more deliberately tongue-in-cheek, and some of them made me lol. Especially the duel between the two presenters when one accidentally sold his refinery, and put his epic unit on a bridge which went down.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
With all this SC2 stuff I've been tempted to play some SC again. But I can't stand the silly 640X480 resolution, it's so cramped and ugly. I've been searching on the web for a solution and couldn't believe no one made a mod or anything to gain a larger resolution. The only solution I keep seeing people link to is this one using 3D Analyzer:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showpost.php?p=1970361&postcount=24

And obvious no one wants to set his screen to 80 MHZ. My LCD doesn't even reach that.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I think the commentary is just another way of showing the competitive approach that they're taking with this game. Notice the great spectator features that really allow the spectator to see what's going on. Many of the features such as the destructible rocks are features that were common in many of the custom made pro maps. They took every opportunity to stress the intricacies of the micro. I've never seen a developer go so far out of their way to appeal to professional players like this. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I've never seen a developer go so far out of their way to appeal to professional players like this.

EA deserves some credits for their battlecasts imo.

http://www.commandandconquer.com/portal/site/cnc/bcpt/

Their battlecasts are commentated tournaments, and their command school is micro protips as well as comments on changes in the metagame from patches. It's what really made me want to sit down and get competitive with cnc3.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
*eh* how come the terran was declared a winner in that battlereport ?

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
StarCraft 2 looks so cool. But why do I have to suck so damn much at RTS? :(

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
'cause the enemy base was still alive ...
didn't look like a 'victory' to me anyways.

I thought they clearly mentioned that in the video.
So for Jafo, you have to destroy every buildings to win even after the opponent has left. :lol:

StarCraft 2 looks so cool. But why do I have to suck so damn much at RTS? :(

I have the severe feeling that anyone who was bad at SC1, will be terrible at SC2 with all the new features and tactics. But hey, for once a game developer doesn't step back and make their game even more casual than the title before.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I thought they clearly mentioned that in the video.

I have the severe feeling that anyone who was bad at SC1, will be terrible at SC2 with all the new features and tactics. But hey, for once a game developer doesn't step back and make their game even more casual than the title before.

SF4 and UT3 were the same way...too bad Smash Bros. Brawl wasn't...

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
Yeah this is why I don't think I'll be getting SC2. I mean I can barley beat the computer in SC1 as it is.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The player surrendered. Once that expansion was taken out it was only a matter of time. Next attack and it would have been over. The Zerg knew he was beat, and admitted defeat.

ah ... I guess I missed that.
Considering that the terran managed to get back from a single base position I figured the Zergs could have done the same.
Seems rather cheap to surrender that easily ...
//
I have the feeling that anyone who was good at SC1 will manage to scare away the newbies into leaving by endless complaints well before the community has a chance to grow.

It seems a shame that the game is also extremely dependent players being able to micromanage the units in order not to lose units to broken pathfinding (as happened in the video).

This genre really could use a big newbie-friendly series to do for the pc what Halo Wars did for this genre on the consoles ...