You want a better ut3? ok then.......

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
A little to implausible.

Agree with points 1, 3 and 4. More variety in maps, and a return the the "tournament" in Unreal Tournament 3. Even Unreal Championship 2, the only other game in the franchise which had a true singleplayer story, was centered around the tournament.

But honestly I don't think an addition of a tournament mode is feasible. It's too much effort to make a working tournament lineup. It would take about as much work as remaking the entire UI, which I doubt will happen also. Point 5 would require a brand new storyline (i.e. even more work for a tournament mode) if there was any chance of giving a character a background. Hell, it would probably require a huge amount of work just to bring back the link editor :(

akstylish

Keyboard Crasha
Jan 22, 2008
What's your suggestion for a better title then? It's got ut characters, gametypes, etc.....

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Agree with points 1, 3 and 4. More variety in maps, and a return the the "tournament" in Unreal Tournament 3. Even Unreal Championship 2, the only other game in the franchise which had a true singleplayer story, was centered around the tournament.

But honestly I don't think an addition of a tournament mode is feasible. It's too much effort to make a working tournament lineup. It would take about as much work as remaking the entire UI, which I doubt will happen also. Point 5 would require a brand new storyline (i.e. even more work for a tournament mode) if there was any chance of giving a character a background. Hell, it would probably require a huge amount of work just to bring back the link editor :(
I wish they would have done the same thing they did for UC2. Have a campaign like they currently have where you play through as a certain character, and then on top of that have a regular tournament. Winning formula, IMO.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
It's called Unreal Tournament because it has more to do with the Tournament aspect of the universe than the Unreal aspect. It deals directly with the corporations and several teams that are exclusive Tournament territory, not to mention a number of tournament conventions such as respawners, power nodes, flags, etc.
There is no special race for the special edition. Wikipedia lies sometimes...
The single-player does implement a feature rarely seen in FPSes: your actions will determine what kind of conditions you will face down the road, meaning you can play it several times and not get the exact same set of matches, which is more than can be said for any previous UT SP campaign.

The maps still have a wide variety to them. From Fearless to Diesel to Hydrosis to Coret... I prefer the more concentrated, focused feel to 2k4's everything, everywhere approach, which provides minimal cohesion.

I think it's essential that Epic be allowed to expand their universe. If all they are ever allowed by their fans to do is dot he same Tournament situation over and over, they'll get labeled (as they already have) as just doing the same thing over and over. At least this allowed them to put a new spin on the existing formula, and I for one appreciate the context of the "corporate skirmishes" as it provides a better backdrop for even IA matches, instead of just, "Yay, it's another Tournament match..."

None of this is really new, either. It's been said by plenty of people before-hand, and the "Make it like it was last time" mindset is predictable and problematic, as it tends to block any new ideas from gaining a foothold, potentially causing the game to become stagnant.
What UT needs is something wildly new that will attract more than its diehard fans, not more of the same. If they continue with the Tournament Universe approach, they will have plenty of avenues to make substantial changes, such as providing a full, Unreal-style SP Campaign, which will be a great way of showing non fans that they're really trying to do something different.
The changes that they have implemented are obvious to those of us who are already fans, but unfortunately aren't enough to make casual observers take a deeper look. Making it even more like what's come before won't really help that.

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Phew, i was getting a distinct feeling of deja vu for a while there. I thought this was turning into a repeat of the trolling that happened at the epic forums.

Good to see some real replies. Even though some of you don't agree with me at least you've provided an argument, I respect that. Much better then the "OMG n00b make it yourself if you want it so bad" crap that i was getting over @ epic.

on to the discussion then!

It's called Unreal Tournament because it has more to do with the Tournament aspect of the universe than the Unreal aspect.
Good point. If I had a grudge against you i could find many ways to debate this though.

The maps still have a wide variety to them. From Fearless to Diesel to Hydrosis to Coret... I prefer the more concentrated, focused feel to 2k4's everything, everywhere approach, which provides minimal cohesion.
I suppose that this aspect boils down to personal preference. Some like the unified look and feel, while others don't.
The maps do indeed have a wide variety to them, it's just that i would have prefered them to look more different then they do.
However, If it were a FACT that coret, fearless, diesel and hydrosis were located on vastly different planets i probably would not care as much.

I thought that the variety and chaos of ut2004 was good, because it wasn't chaos in a ridiculous way. lol, You can dispute that if you want. What i mean is, it was chaotic, but it wasn't chaotic in the completely unexplainable way that the super smash brothers series is for example. Sure, having space egyptions mowing down mutant clowns seems out there, but it was all linked by the story.
I quite liked the egyption maps, but the egyption characters and the nightmare guys were a bit over the top.

I think the original UT had it going fine in this sector, the characters were all human, but with distinct themes to the teams without going crazy. It also had some robots and aliens, but again, nothing over the top.

I think it's essential that Epic be allowed to expand their universe. If all they are ever allowed by their fans to do is dot he same Tournament situation over and over, they'll get labeled (as they already have) as just doing the same thing over and over. At least this allowed them to put a new spin on the existing formula, and I for one appreciate the context of the "corporate skirmishes" as it provides a better backdrop for even IA matches, instead of just, "Yay, it's another Tournament match..."
completely agree with first statement.
I also appreciate the whole coporate skirmishes thing, but it is out of place in a game (that is supposed to be) about a tournament. Maybe if the game was called unreal wars or something, it would be fitting. But UT3 indicates some sort of tournament, so in that context i think it is a bit stupid.

I wish they would have done the same thing they did for UC2. Have a campaign like they currently have where you play through as a certain character, and then on top of that have a regular tournament. Winning formula, IMO.
Thats what i am talking about, the current campaign would be fine if it sat next to a traditional tournament mode. The campaign would still seem a bit out of place as it is, but at least i would know that there is a tournament mode SOMEWHERE in the game.
Winning formula IYO and IMO.

What's your suggestion for a better title then? It's got ut characters, gametypes, etc.....
The liandri conflict, necris invasion, unreal 3. I dunno, whats your suggestion?

A NEW / BETTER UT3 ?!

NOPE!!!

LOL, it's just a marketing strategy. Do you think this topic would get any hits if it were called "My absolutely great ideas on what epic needs to change about ut3".
Sorry if you were expecting my own spin on the current game

But honestly I don't think an addition of a tournament mode is feasible. It's too much effort to make a working tournament lineup. It would take about as much work as remaking the entire UI, which I doubt will happen also. Point 5 would require a brand new storyline (i.e. even more work for a tournament mode) if there was any chance of giving a character a background. Hell, it would probably require a huge amount of work just to bring back the link editor

Thank you for agreeing! If they do ut3.5, then maybe a tournament mode could be feasible, but until then, its just my wish for what should have happened in the first place.

While they planned to do that, I'd guess it's been removed because playing a tournament is just boring (for most people), as compared to playing after a real story, and putting a story inside a tournament doesn't really work.
This would mean, that many users would have to play the boring part of the single player before they could enter the interesting part.
Guaranteed even the story-driven part was far from something like COD4, but (IMHO) still 100 times better than a tournament.
i suppose this is another matter of opinion so all i can safely say is I disagree. I love a real story, the tournament was a real story. It wasn't a plot though. I prefer the tournament story over the corporate warfare plot.

(Next few posts are OT, so no need for replies there)

lol, i may be flogging a dead horse, but at least i am getting some discussion out of it.

Want single player? Get BioShock or even GoW. UT3 is a multiplayer game as TF2 is. The "single player" part is bolted on crap that's not even needed.
no its not needed, but people like me who play against bots most of the time like it to be there.

All of which can easily be solved by people doing the remakes themselves. Just don't hold your breath because it takes way much longer to do a UT3 map than one from an older game.
Yeah, i noticed. Although people making maps doesn't solve point 2 for one thing.

To err is human, to forgive is divine.
lol, thanks

Can't say much about using dynamic music based on mood except it worked better in Unreal to differentiate between the calm moments and when you come across a monster as oppose to just any type of action on a UT3 map. The straight out music from UT1 to UT2004 was just fine.
agree completely. I just think that if they are going to use dynamic music at all, then it could be done better.

Since certain Warfare maps can be played as a two sided Assault game, why have reduncancy?
point taken, but i still prefer assault

Originally the story was suppose to take plac during a tournament, only to be interrupted by the Necris invasion. Of course there was suppose to be an RTS-type Conquest gametype and other races from the Unreal series. They rushed and cut out things to make the holiday deadline and it showed.
hmm, i would still have issues with a story like that, but at least there is a tournament in there SOMEWHERE.

You want a serious discussion, here you go...
lol, you made my day there!

I agree the single player and it's story are weak but I've never played this game for the single player so this was not a deal breaker for me. Deimos? Not a big fan. Never played Assault either so whether or not Warfare fills that hole in my life, again not a concern (for me). I can't comment on the Blood Hunter thing...don't think they made it into the game but the wiki page I looked at did not refer to them either. I turn music off immediately on most games but the short time I did have it enabled I thought it was great. I too like the old tournament style but online play is my ultimate measuring stick. Personally i'm gonna hang in there and hope they continue to patch the game and add content.
I hope the patches come faster TBH, new content is good, but soem of the bugs really piss me off.

Last edited:

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
To be honest, bonus pack is not best conception, because 90% of servers just dont install them. Its better integrate them into patches.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Content via patches is very interesting idea ;-) I can't see any bad point about it right now, patches are big anyway, few tens of megas wouldn't hurt us.

Original post: when I read about Hyperblast and Deimos... yeah, I stopped to read. I want GOOD maps. We have various Biohazards, Maps-dominated-by-Invincible, BlackMaps with invisible players (in FFA), etc. Now I want some normal maps. Shangri, Sentinel, and such... and better, there really is space for improvment. New Ironic (not just remake, something fresh).

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
I just don't think that it has to take place inside the Tournament to be called a Tournament game. There's plenty that references the Tournament. Just because it takes place during the off-season of the Tournament doesn't mean that it has nothing at all to do with it.
Personally, I've been waiting for them to actually go into the universe around the Tournament. There's such a rich universe around the games themselves that is just as much a part of the series as the Tournament itself.
Besides, it's got more to do with UT than UT had to do with Unreal...

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'd rather ask for some new, good maps.

Yeah, and for those who ignore this link, it may now be the time to learn and leave Deimos for the rodents - the hamster module from space.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8223/deimos2tn7.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7444/playgroundsetupne8.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Believe me: I hear you.
I just believe that exploring the wider game universe is the task of spin-off games, not direct sequels.

I can't say i agree with that. Most decent sequels expand the universe of the original...

If we're talking something like Unreal 2, which only paid a passing glance to the original Unreal, I'd understand the viewpoint, but I think UT3 is tied well enough to not only UT, but to all the games in the series that came before, in one way or another, that it deserves the branding.

Last edited:

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
There is no way to get a better UT (not after UT2004, UT3). Making a better game demands more gameplay options which in turn widens the gap between new players and old fanatics (this is us). This turns out to be NOT fun for the average FPS player which is 95% * of EPIC's customer base.

TF2 and COD4 do NOT have deeper gameplay than any UT (and are thinner on game modes and maps). Still they dominate the market. Why? I guess same answer as with movies: Which is viewed more, space odyssey 2001 or Armagedon?

Even though I do not like UT3 to UT2004, I congratulate EPIC for having the @@s to make a game in a dying sector of FPS gaming

*unless you believe that us 10000 forum nut jobs from all over the world account for more than 5%

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Believe me: I hear you.
I just believe that exploring the wider game universe is the task of spin-off games, not direct sequels.

UT is the spin off.

Imo if Epic had stuck with a solid single/multi player game the Unreal franchise would have a much larger playerbase than today by covering more of the market and appealing to a vider audience.