New map thema ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
It s not that industrial, Gothic, spaceworld, modern egyptian or whatever traditional FPS themas are bad but I think that something fresh and new would not be a bad idea either...

In my opinion because of their cultural backgrounds, the different variety of lanscapes they lived in, their incredible architectures, their bloody Gods and rites, their costumes, their artistic language, their mysteries... I guess that some kind of modern Aztecs/ Zapotecs/ Mayans/ Olmecs/ Toltecs/ Mixtecs cultures could be something very interesting to introduce in UT2007.

I would be very interested to know what kind of new thema you d like to see in UT2007 and why?

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
Urban still needs a lot of work IMO. The cityscapes you've seen in UT from 99 up through present really just look like contemporary cities, and I think a well- executed Unreal universe urban theme would add a lot of flavor. Naturally I'm thinking of a sort of high- tech down- and- out cultural mishmash a- la Blade Runner (complete with street signs in an unrecognizable alien language), but regardless of how it pans out I feel there's a missed opportunity there.

Also, classic Arabic archetecture. That may be a little iffy given the current political/ cultural climate, but all the same it's a great look. CTF-CBP2-Bahera is the only UT map I've seen so far to utilize that.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
Some streets or urban oriented maps would be very cool.
Strangely in DM, this obvious thema was not in UT2k3 and UT2k4

Maybe we will be lucky to visit Skaarjtown, Juggernaut City or GenMoKai Harbor in some few monthes, who knows?

blutspender

May 16, 2005
Germany
i would like to play in the ruins of some big cities, for example a futuristic, destroyd Los Angeles or something like that

Striker D

May 14, 2005
I would like to play in my neighborhood. If they could have a satelite go over & photograph the ground & then a jet fly over & get the countours of the ground & houses & such, we could have huge battles in our back yards. That would be awesome! very expensive, but still very cool

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
I don't want to see any more ruined cities/scrapyards ,it's been done to death!

Japanese/asian culture could be an interesting theme for UT, with izanzgi and space ninjas included

Also some super hi tech levels ala DM Fractal/Cybrosis or CTF Niven (with no added rust!!)
Or a living breathing futuristic city with traffic in the background, robots doing their thing and gigantic monitor screen watching the tourney!

How'bout mixing arabic/persian art with the egyptian theme creating a more interesting hybrid or sum interesting sites on the nakhti planet

They didn't include enough quality space maps in ut2kx, and you can't really have the unreal universe without outerspace/wierd alien planets!

I basically think epic should push the idea of just how technongically advanced the furture is, sine they can bring contestants back from death and all!

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
I was under the impression each map is going to have its own unique theme. They even will have a level specific super weapons. I think any theme would be great if it isn't overused and is well executed.

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
I'd kind of like to see a "poverty in the future" type of theme (dumb name, but anyway).

What gave me the idea was the current underdeveloped red- brick theme you see on maps like DM-Rankin and VCTF-AggressiveAlleys. That theme is more or less suggestive to me of a run- down, out- of- luck midwestern USA city or town say ca. 1970- present and I'd love to see it fully developed with decos etc.

Then I got to thinking... surely there are run- down, out- of- luck human mining/ industrial settlements on backwater planets in the hardnosed 2400s of the Unreal Universe. The building materials would be different, the derelect tech would be different, but some of it would be recognizable as very much the same situation -- think "Fat Gkublok's Discount Bot Repair" or the farm from the original Star Wars.

Such settlements (including the modern- era ones) would be natural targets for Liandri arena- buyers as they could likely be picked up for a song and would be good arenas without much modification -- I'm suspecting that's what happened to Rankin.

Plus it looks cool IMO and has good, Mad Max- style atmosphere. Settings could be either small- urban or rural.

Re: Ol' West. I like that too, as long as it's expanded to include stuff that doesn't necessarily indicate cowboys and indians. Badlands- style landscapes, adobe architecture and a southwest- oriented color scheme could look really cool. And of course, vultures circling in the skybox. :D

Last edited:

Xaero*nz

May 27, 2005
Neo-classical!
usga4106.jpeg

degrey2.jpg

DCP005741.jpg

hey, im an architecture student :p

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
blutspender said:
i would like to play in the ruins of some big cities, for example a futuristic, destroyd Los Angeles or something like that

Me too, I love destroyed cities, like in WWII, and also A LOT maps with "nature/forest" stuff like, water, leaf, tree, rain, light through forests and all this beautiful ****.

I suggest you try 1on1-Tangora in UT2004, best theme map I ever saw.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
I keep on thinking that one of the pre columbian meso american culture (there are many of them) could be a fresh a good thema for some nice maps.

Attachments

• thema.jpg
    thema.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 64

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Meso- american is kind one of themes kinda ripped of in unreal 1 and some of ut99 maps,
though it was strangelly not there in ut2kx, i would welcome it's return once their are new map themes also!

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
EL BOURIKO said:
I keep on thinking that one of the pre columbian meso american culture (there are many of them) could be a fresh a good thema for some nice maps.

You should check out Serious Sam :D

Japanese, Old West would work

and how about an Amsterdam themed map, you know, channels, coffeeshops, hookers, the works :tup:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
One theme not mentioned yet
Norse/valhalla/vikings/celts, that theme could be done modern and tied into the mythology of the iron guard or the juggernauts or maybe a whole new theme based on futuristic vikings horns included(give them celtic tatoos also)
That theme would be a beast!